Review Round 5 2020 vs Hawthorn @ Giants Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

And while I remember, one of the best games from Josh Kelly in quite a while. Was back to his smooth best, weaving through congestion and hitting chests.
I thought he was good last week as well.

When fit, he is always classy and runs so well, I couldn't believe the criticism he copped after a couple of losses a few weeks back.

When fit, he is always classy and runs so well, I couldn't believe the criticism he copped after a couple of losses a few weeks back.

I thought he'd been pretty average, his disposal being substantially worse than previous which was his main advantage.

I thought he'd been pretty average, his disposal being substantially worse than previous which was his main advantage.
I'd have to say that I have been disappointed by Josh Kelly this year, and the last couple as well (on the whole). He's a good footballer, and when he's at his peak - as he was in 2017 - he's nearing superstar status, but with injuries and whatnot in 2018, 2019 and until yesterday this year as well he hasn't gone near to that level that we need him at to win games & ultimtaely a premiership. Yesterday, he was superb, and that linking role is so important to the Giants' gameplan. He used his speed to get into clear space to take marks (12 vs 5 in previous 3 games), and found his targets to propel us into the F50. Hopefully he can keep that up. And if Cogs, Jezza & Lachie can find first gear too, we'll be a chance again.

Some comments from my favourite AFL news source (different writer than normal this week, so a little briefer and less comprehensive than usual).

Ten goals for the Giants tall trio

Although he’s been down on his numbers so far this season, Jeremy Cameron is a proven star. Himmelberg and Finlayson however, are not. So it was great to see both lads kick a bag of four each, helped along with two from Cameron for a total of ten from the tall trio.

After a good fortnight from the Giants forwards, they need to keep this momentum going and be careful not to fall into their past habit of lapsing in critical games and forcing Cameron to keep them afloat.

Nick Haynes

He’s just a pleasure to watch week-in, week-out. Haynes consistently wreaks havoc on opposing forward lines and is perhaps the best intercept mark in the game (excluding the injured Jeremy Howe).

Hawthorn’s talls in Mitch Lewis and Tim O’Brien had no answer for Haynes and he was a key factor in Clarko’s decision to bite the bullet and throw McEvoy forward in tandem with Ceglar in the ruck. Haynes is everything a club could want from a sweeper and for me, he’s an All-Australian lock.

Giants mids on fire

After a weekend with some extremely sub-par skills – even from victors – it was a pleasure to watch the Giants midfield put on a show. Josh Kelly went at 80% efficiency from his 30 touches, Perryman at 75% from 28 and Whitfield at 79% from 28. There’s an awful lot of class in this GWS side and when it’s smooth movers are all fit and firing it’s a joy to watch.

Beyond the foot skills, all three of those men took double figure marks, with 12, 11 and 10 respectively. The Giants had a major ascendancy in the air in this one and it wasn’t just their forwards clunking them.

KEY STATS
  • GWS out-marked Hawthorn 120 to 58, including 107 uncontested grabs. Pure and simple, this made it too easy for the Giants to control the tempo and play the game on their terms.
  • The Hawks won clearances 33 to 25, they won the inside fifty count 38 to 26, however, their inside fifty efficiency was 37% compared to the Giants 69%. Those stats tell you everything you need to know.
The Giants are back on course and in my book have re-established themselves as contenders. Greene is fit, both Kelly and Whitfield are red-hot and Coniglio finally found his feet a little in this contest. Consider the Giants an imminent threat.

I'd have to say that I have been disappointed by Josh Kelly this year, and the last couple as well (on the whole). He's a good footballer, and when he's at his peak - as he was in 2017 - he's nearing superstar status, but with injuries and whatnot in 2018, 2019 and until yesterday this year as well he hasn't gone near to that level that we need him at to win games & ultimtaely a premiership. Yesterday, he was superb, and that linking role is so important to the Giants' gameplan. He used his speed to get into clear space to take marks (12 vs 5 in previous 3 games), and found his targets to propel us into the F50. Hopefully he can keep that up. And if Cogs, Jezza & Lachie can find first gear too, we'll be a chance again.

I thought he was back to his best before Covid lockdown. The All stars game he was terrific and the pre season games he was looking good. I think its vital for a running player like that to get a quality block of uninterupted training in to be in form.

When this fwd line clicks its awesome to watch. Harry is the ultimate team fwd, to kick 4 in todays football is an excellent game but his blocks and the selfless acts he does to contribute to his team mates goals are his greatest strength and easily contributed to 3-4 other goals.
Agree with the Himmelberg comments.
He does all the 1%er's all the time. He hits packs, leads up, deoy leads to create space, blocks to give the Jeremy's a run at it, he brings it to ground often. He gets it in quick when he can and chases hard in defense. He is our most under rated player.

I thought we were extremely strong on both ends. Defenders were a brick wall, some blunders but overall very professional effort.

But the thing that excited me the most was our conversion going into forward 50. Finlayson and Himmelberg were brilliant with their hands but most of the entries were served right down their throats. I was very happy with that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back