Unofficial Preview round 5 we have to play again sorry this time against richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t know why we have this ‘expectation’ that first gamers can’t necessarily impact games. The excuses out there are laughable (it’s his 1st game, he needs the experience etc). Just look at players like Sam Walsh, Connor Rozee, Cam Raynor and even our own Ben Ronke (there are many more)..they can do it! Let’s hope he has a blinder!

I don’t think they are used as excuses, more reasons not to hit the panic button in the instance that a debutant fails to impact (a la last week.)

I expect Rowbottom to impact. He stood out to me throughout his draft year and again in the NEAFL. I’m also told from some Oakleigh folks that he is a ripper of a kid who works his arse off and puts his team mates before himself. That is no doubt a contributing factor as to why he’s done everything you could ask of a draftee up to this point. He’s exactly the type of player we need in the senior team so I hope he can translate his natural game to the highest level.

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
I don’t think they are used as excuses, more reasons not to hit the panic button in the instance that a debutant fails to impact (a la last week.)

I expect Rowbottom to impact. He stood out to me throughout his draft year and again in the NEAFL. I’m also told from some Oakleigh folks that he is a ripper of a kid who works his arse off and puts his team mates before himself. That is no doubt a contributing factor as to why he’s done everything you could ask of a draftee up to this point. He’s exactly the type of player we need in the senior team so I hope he can translate his natural game to the highest level.
Appreciate Julius but doesn’t really sum up the misguided expectations of draftees.

Yeah our players under 25 or under 100 games don’t seem to ever find consistency or handle a role of late

Other teams have first year second year players in key roles

Our young players don’t get the chance to though. I’ve said it a million times. Horse is the best in the comp by a mile at getting youngsters ready for senior footy. Once they’re out there at the top level, he seems to know SFA what to do with them.

Appreciate Julius but doesn’t really sum up the misguided expectations of draftees.

I guess my point is an 18 year old in their first game should (in many cases) have the least impact of any player on the ground. They have less experience, less familiarity, and less physical preparation for footy at the highest level. So when an 18 year old can come in and have more of an impact than many of the players around them, that makes them the oddity, not the norm. It’s why an impressive debut should be celebrated, but a non-factor debut not criticised.

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
Our young players don’t get the chance to though. I’ve said it a million times. Horse is the best in the comp by a mile at getting youngsters ready for senior footy. Once they’re out there at the top level, he seems to know SFA what to do with them.
I love this, it should’ve been mentioned on page 1 and we could all have been shagging hookers, riding ponies, whistling Dixie or whatever!

I love this, it should’ve been mentioned on page 1 and we could all have been shagging hookers, riding ponies, whistling Dixie or whatever!

Why do that when we could talk about new and exciting topics? Like Clarke being a potato or Mills as a midfielder!

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
I guess my point is an 18 year old in their first game should (in many cases) have the least impact of any player on the ground. They have less experience, less familiarity, and less physical preparation for footy at the highest level. So when an 18 year old can come in and have more of an impact than many of the players around them, that makes them the oddity, not the norm. It’s why an impressive debut should be celebrated, but a non-factor debut not criticised.
Not at all. If you’re ******* good, you’re ******* good! How many times do you see a tennis player come from the clouds? They might not beat everyone but they can’t, can they?

Not at all. If you’re ******* good, you’re ******* good! How many times do you see a tennis player come from the clouds? They might not beat everyone but they can’t, can they?

Of course they can, it just might not be in their first game. Could happen in their second, or third. You just never know. Great if they come out firing in game one, no reason to panic if they don’t.

Feb 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Sorry for the intrusion, I hear heeney is in doubt, any truth in this?

I know we go in favourites however I think this is a massive danger game for us and I’m not overly confident we’ll walk away with the 4 points. Buddy has been bagged all week and will no doubt come out firing, he also doesn’t have rance to contend with. I’m expecting a very tough game that will be much closer than people think.
Yeah Heeney probably misses, hes injured and not training. We are thinking we will get belted by 50-100 points.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wolfgang West

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 22, 2009
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
1. It was an opinion not a fact.
2. I didn’t write that Jones had class. I wrote that he would be in a midfield alongside Mills.

Spin it all you like. I was stating a fact. Jones does not have Class. Full stop. I was not saying you were stating a fact.Don't talk about arguments on here because I have read the majority of your posts over the journey and You would argue with yourself. End discussion.

Jan 13, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Spin it all you like. I was stating a fact. Jones does not have Class. Full stop. I was not saying you were stating a fact.Don't talk about arguments on here because I have read the majority of your posts over the journey and You would argue with yourself. End discussion.
I’ll decide when the discussion has ended thank you.

Now it’s ended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back