Unofficial Preview round 5 we have to play again sorry this time against richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we don't get something from Parker, Hewett, Reid, Sinclair, Ronke, Blakey, Papley and get some diversity on the midfield we are cactus. Hewett had 10 disposals V Dees. Parker and Kennedy were 10 off their normal output. Papley about 10 down too. But to be honest I feel for the mids because Gawn just spoon fed their mids after half time. Sinclair was woeful, didn't even put up a fight. He only managed 6 disposals too. Dreadful.

What do we do? It's a bit of a connundrum really. We have players who are so out of form they resemble a badly smashed up vehicle. Our game plan is dated and I really believe the players have stopped listening. Some of the efforts seem to be players just getting a stat. Bud started playing for Bud and that is unusual.

What can the coaches do? Firstly we have to change the game plan. Then most importantly we need to change the rucks and midfield. The group of players in the mids needs to change. Longmire is not a fan of change, that is quite obvious by not playing Heeney, Mills and Dawson at the coalface when that is where they are best. Heens wi still go forward and kick 2goals. In the meantime you fat a 30 plus game from him. Same with Mills. Dawson is a much different player. In the reserves he was a huge ball winner in the mids but it was his ability to go forward and kick a goal or two that changed games. He has this knack of being able to get free when playing mids and his kond low kicks are just what we need. These players are the group to pick our mids from;

Kennedy, Parker, Hewett, Heeney, Mills, Dawson, Papley, Ronke, Rowbottom, Blakey, Buddy. Why put Bud there? Well it's like this he is sensational at delivering and sometimes we get too Bud conscious. Taking him out of the forward line cancels that. Not only that he is huge, strong and has a big fend off. He can break packs apart.

Rucks are a problem but not as much as they should be with our best Ruck out. Cameron has been playing well in the NEAFL and so has the Newby, McLean. Now this is very interesting too. Amarty kicked 3 goals in the reserves and looked very good now he is freed up to play FF. McLean is a bullock Ing Mummy style Ruckman who is super strong and aggressive at the contest. I like this pick up a lot. He also kicks goals. In the reserves we are getting an average of 3.5 goals/game from rucks. That is huge. Maybe we need to give Sinkas and Reid some reserves time and play some of the newbies, Cameron, MsLean and, Amarty. We are not making finals by even any gift of luck of the Irish. We might as well look to the future and blood players.

James' Bell and Rowbottom are knocking on the door as are Wicks and Stoddart, COR is playing his heart out and deserves a call up. Melican seemed better last game. We need to fee Aliir up to play CHB not be stuck on the goal line. That was, shitty coaching getting him stuck there.

These players, should be on notice or are old guard who have no currency in the future;

Thurlow, Parker, Ronke, Reid, Blakey, McInnerney, Sinclair & Hewett (his season so far has been lamentable but then again being asked to play defensive HF is probably head scratching). I think we could drop almost all of the on current form. But the ones I would look to drop;

Ronke, Thurlow (needs to get disposal right), Reid, Blakey Sinclair & McInnerney. It's out of that lot. Maybe not the lot but certainly a substantial body of them. We can't continue to play underpeeforming players. If Reid can't kick a goal from 30, can't even score mind you, he needs to go back and learn how to do that again. McInnerney is obvious, he was very poor. Blakey is simply not doing enough. Thurlow needs to get the disposal right and I'd rather that was done at NEAFL level than AFL. Sinclair has had a very poor season so far. His output has been way down and I think bringing the two other rucks in to replace him might be beneficial. The Blakey spot frees up a resting Ruck spot. McLean has played VFL against most of the other tucks in the AFL and I think we need to bite the bullet on Cameron. Ronke can play mids but we don't use him there. He is getting the best small defender every week now. That makes it just a little difficult for a 2nd year player so he needs to learn how to beat the tag. He needs to learn that at NEAFL level.

So that's my bit. I don't care if we don't win a game and tank out just as long as we are playing the future and trying something new. I think we will win games if the coaches can manage to back the talent and allow them to use their flair. But I doubt they'll do that. All the skills are being coached out of this group.

On ANE-LX2J using BigFooty.com mobile app

A one season wonder who has played several really great seasons. I remember a game when we were a top team. We played them at ANZ. They won. Why? Because of that bloke. He was played one out against Teddy and kicked two late goals to win the game. We on the other hand constantly bombed the ball into the forward line
We can win this game by getting in and under. Missing Rance, Cotchin and ReWo - plus Martin is a one season wonder.
If Parker and Sinclair are out...
Hopefully we don't see
View attachment 654758

On ANE-LX2J using BigFooty.com mobile app

Clarke and Rowbottom in for McInerney & Blakey. Neither of those two did much all game while Clarke & Rowbottom offer a lot more grunt (which we lacked in the second half). Backing Clarke to turn good, while I believe Blakey has been thrown into it too early. He physically doesn't look ready for how we're playing him.

I think the biggest disappointments for me so far this year are Hewett and Mills. We really needed both to step up and they've been completely meh.

Hewett if anything has gone backwards since his second year in 2017. Less disposals, less goals, less marks, less tackles, less I50s.

Funnily enough it actually seems like a bit of a pattern with our young players since 2016. How many times have we said to ourselves "Wow look at all these young guys we're debuting who are performing so well!" Yet in the last 18 months they've basically all plateaued.

I think the biggest disappointments for me so far this year are Hewett and Mills. We really needed both to step up and they've been completely meh.

Hewett if anything has gone backwards since his second year in 2017. Less disposals, less goals, less marks, less tackles, less I50s.

Funnily enough it actually seems like a bit of a pattern with our young players since 2016. How many times have we said to ourselves "Wow look at all these young guys we're debuting who are performing so well!" Yet in the last 18 months they've basically all plateaued.
Yeah I've been disappointed with Hewett this season as well. He's still a good player but I had hoped he'd start to influence games more. We really need someone tough around the ground and had thought he would be filling that role

I can’t think of many who have plateaued? Hayward & Florent by any stretch had much better 2018 seasons than 2017. Ronke and McCartin only debuted last year. Heeney has got better with each season, albeit still not at the level we hope he will reach. Last year Hewett was very good at tagging. Not a pretty role that earns recognition but he fulfilled it consistently. Aliir had an All Australian-worthy half of 2018 and has carried that form into this year.

Mills didn’t even play much last year and four games in the current season just isn’t enough of a sample to judge whether he’s plateaued. I will concede that early signs suggest he won’t ever be more than a decent-at-best defender. Which isn’t surprising considering, y’know, he’s not one.

Yeah I've been disappointed with Hewett this season as well. He's still a good player but I had hoped he'd start to influence games more. We really need someone tough around the ground and had thought he would be filling that role

Too busy worrying about where his opponent is and what his opponent is doing, as per his crapprenticeship!

Would be nice if we actually release Hewett. He's better than a negating midfielder. Let him play as an offensive mid. Mills should be playing in the midfield.

Clarke and Rowbottom in for McInerney & Blakey. Neither of those two did much all game while Clarke & Rowbottom offer a lot more grunt (which we lacked in the second half). Backing Clarke to turn good, while I believe Blakey has been thrown into it too early. He physically doesn't look ready for how we're playing him.

Clarke again really?

Rather give Mcinnerney another go or play Stoddart.

Looking at our top 10 players for disposals this year doesn’t exactly make for a glowing tale. At least 6 of them (Lloyd, Parker, Cunningham, Sir Dane, Mills and McVeigh) aren’t exactly players that provide us with a real spark or get anything really happening for our team. The other four (JPK, Jones, Heeney and Florent) are lively types. We need more of these guys winning the footy, blokes where something good seems to happen when they’re involved. Our only win of the season was on the back of Heeney and Jones’ best games for the year. Against the Dees, it’s no surprise we were more up and about and pro-active when Florent was in the thick of the action in the first half.

I think our woes this season have made it pretty clear the players who are keys to the team doing well. (With JPK I think we already knew that!)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McInerney had one of the worst debut's on history. Not sure why we would reward that effort while there are others really putting in the effort in the NEAFL

Yeah...Clarke was so much better he just turned the ball over again and again. Going back to Clarke is a useless waste of time. I am not a fan of giving players just 1 game, happy for Mcinnerney to get another game, give him 2-3 games. Alternative for me is Stoddart.

McInerney had one of the worst debut's on history. Not sure why we would reward that effort while there are others really putting in the effort in the NEAFL

I agree that I don’t see how Horse could justify giving the kid another game, but I think it’s unfair to lumber that title on him. He’s 18 and was thrown way off the deep end when he shouldn’t have been.

I agree that I don’t see how Horse could justify giving the kid another game, but I think it’s unfair to lumber that title on him. He’s 18 and was thrown way off the deep end when he shouldn’t have been.

Wasn't a fantastic debut but I'd still give him another game. Richmond are relatively young

I can’t think of many who have plateaued? Hayward & Florent by any stretch had much better 2018 seasons than 2017. Ronke and McCartin only debuted last year. Heeney has got better with each season, albeit still not at the level we hope he will reach. Last year Hewett was very good at tagging. Not a pretty role that earns recognition but he fulfilled it consistently. Aliir had an All Australian-worthy half of 2018 and has carried that form into this year.

Mills didn’t even play much last year and four games in the current season just isn’t enough of a sample to judge whether he’s plateaued. I will concede that early signs suggest he won’t ever be more than a decent-at-best defender. Which isn’t surprising considering, y’know, he’s not one.

I think both George and 2A have gone backwards this year. This is Jose coaching, pure and simple.

Yeah...Clarke was so much better he just turned the ball over again and again. Going back to Clarke is a useless waste of time. I am not a fan of giving players just 1 game, happy for Mcinnerney to get another game, give him 2-3 games. Alternative for me is Stoddart.
Considering Stoddard hasn't played a game all season (JLT or NEAFL) I'm not sure what you're basing his selection off of.

It's not unfair, it's what happened. He knows what the level is now and he needs to work on his game to reach it.

Considering Stoddard hasn't played a game all season (JLT or NEAFL) I'm not sure what you're basing his selection off of.

He played 2 weeks ago in the NEAFL. Was the travelling reserve last week.

Anything is better than playing Clarke...especially when Horse has this phobia of playing guys in their rightful position. I can sort of get the notion to bring him in to play inside mid...he won't though and we have a bloke who can't kick off HB.

He has played one NEAFL game plus the practice matches. Granted he was only named in the bests in one of them, but that’s more than McInerney. If it were up to me I would go with COR over either of them. His relative experience and maturity compared to them would at least mean he’s not a passenger.

He has played one NEAFL game plus the practice matches. Granted he was only named in the bests in one of them, but that’s more than McInerney. If it were up to me I would go with COR over either of them. His relative experience and maturity compared to them would at least mean he’s not a passenger.

Either Stoddart or COR is fine by me. Just not Clarke please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back