Unofficial Preview round 5 we have to play again sorry this time against richmond

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikey_san

Cancelled
Mar 17, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
He was not well used. Not once did teammates play to his strengths which is to get a receive and run.

Look of course he played a shocker. Not arguing this. However it was a dire Jose Horsey fail to play him and not use his strengths.

Fagan emphasises to each player their strengths and tries to organise his team around his players expressing their strengths. I doubt Jose cgaf about strengths of newbies in the team.

Thumbs up - though I don't think he had a total shocker. Wasn't used when he did get free - and yes didn't have the confidence to demand the ball by running into spaces he could of. Still won two frees and was it 19 pressure acts? Worth another game IMHO as long as Blakey is rested - can't have two guys not getting the ball like Florent and Hayward two years back, it puts too much pressure on the rest.
I’m predicting a few surprises at selection this week.

- Sam Wicks will debut. Ronke looks out of sorts and Wicks was probably our best pressure forward in the NEAFL on the weekend. Horse loves to pull a rookie surprise out of nowhere (Papley, Melican, Ronke.) Perris implied they weren’t entirely sold on Rowbottom in a forward role yet, and that’s the only way I could see him cracking into the team (which is absurd as he’s a pure mid.)

- If McInerney is dropped (if he’s not that in itself would be a surprise), I think they’ll go with Stoddart over COR on that half back role. He was the travelling emergency against the Blues and has had a few impressive NEAFL games. Plus the rush to get McInerney in tells me Horse & co are desperate to inject some outside pace into the team.

I personally would go out McInerney & Blakey, in COR & Rowbottom.

Rowbottom snapped 2 goals under immediate physical pressure inside the forward 50 in the last NEAFL game - his other goal was under pressure from 80 freaking meters out!
If the coaches can't see him as a forward (if only temporarily) frogmarch the lot of them out the gate while we all get to pelt them with garbage and animal s**t from the mini Easter show!

Feb 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
If we don't get something from Parker, Hewett, Reid, Sinclair, Ronke, Blakey, Papley and get some diversity on the midfield we are cactus. Hewett had 10 disposals V Dees. Parker and Kennedy were 10 off their normal output. Papley about 10 down too. But to be honest I feel for the mids because Gawn just spoon fed their mids after half time. Sinclair was woeful, didn't even put up a fight. He only managed 6 disposals too. Dreadful.

What do we do? It's a bit of a connundrum really. We have players who are so out of form they resemble a badly smashed up vehicle. Our game plan is dated and I really believe the players have stopped listening. Some of the efforts seem to be players just getting a stat. Bud started playing for Bud and that is unusual.

What can the coaches do? Firstly we have to change the game plan. Then most importantly we need to change the rucks and midfield. The group of players in the mids needs to change. Longmire is not a fan of change, that is quite obvious by not playing Heeney, Mills and Dawson at the coalface when that is where they are best. Heens wi still go forward and kick 2goals. In the meantime you fat a 30 plus game from him. Same with Mills. Dawson is a much different player. In the reserves he was a huge ball winner in the mids but it was his ability to go forward and kick a goal or two that changed games. He has this knack of being able to get free when playing mids and his kond low kicks are just what we need. These players are the group to pick our mids from;

Kennedy, Parker, Hewett, Heeney, Mills, Dawson, Papley, Ronke, Rowbottom, Blakey, Buddy. Why put Bud there? Well it's like this he is sensational at delivering and sometimes we get too Bud conscious. Taking him out of the forward line cancels that. Not only that he is huge, strong and has a big fend off. He can break packs apart.

Rucks are a problem but not as much as they should be with our best Ruck out. Cameron has been playing well in the NEAFL and so has the Newby, McLean. Now this is very interesting too. Amarty kicked 3 goals in the reserves and looked very good now he is freed up to play FF. McLean is a bullock Ing Mummy style Ruckman who is super strong and aggressive at the contest. I like this pick up a lot. He also kicks goals. In the reserves we are getting an average of 3.5 goals/game from rucks. That is huge. Maybe we need to give Sinkas and Reid some reserves time and play some of the newbies, Cameron, MsLean and, Amarty. We are not making finals by even any gift of luck of the Irish. We might as well look to the future and blood players.

James' Bell and Rowbottom are knocking on the door as are Wicks and Stoddart, COR is playing his heart out and deserves a call up. Melican seemed better last game. We need to fee Aliir up to play CHB not be stuck on the goal line. That was, shitty coaching getting him stuck there.

These players, should be on notice or are old guard who have no currency in the future;

Thurlow, Parker, Ronke, Reid, Blakey, McInnerney, Sinclair & Hewett (his season so far has been lamentable but then again being asked to play defensive HF is probably head scratching). I think we could drop almost all of the on current form. But the ones I would look to drop;

Ronke, Thurlow (needs to get disposal right), Reid, Blakey Sinclair & McInnerney. It's out of that lot. Maybe not the lot but certainly a substantial body of them. We can't continue to play underpeeforming players. If Reid can't kick a goal from 30, can't even score mind you, he needs to go back and learn how to do that again. McInnerney is obvious, he was very poor. Blakey is simply not doing enough. Thurlow needs to get the disposal right and I'd rather that was done at NEAFL level than AFL. Sinclair has had a very poor season so far. His output has been way down and I think bringing the two other rucks in to replace him might be beneficial. The Blakey spot frees up a resting Ruck spot. McLean has played VFL against most of the other tucks in the AFL and I think we need to bite the bullet on Cameron. Ronke can play mids but we don't use him there. He is getting the best small defender every week now. That makes it just a little difficult for a 2nd year player so he needs to learn how to beat the tag. He needs to learn that at NEAFL level.

So that's my bit. I don't care if we don't win a game and tank out just as long as we are playing the future and trying something new. I think we will win games if the coaches can manage to back the talent and allow them to use their flair. But I doubt they'll do that. All the skills are being coached out of this group.

On ANE-LX2J using BigFooty.com mobile app

Terrific post mate.

If we don't get something from Parker, Hewett, Reid, Sinclair, Ronke, Blakey, Papley and get some diversity on the midfield we are cactus. Hewett had 10 disposals V Dees. Parker and Kennedy were 10 off their normal output. Papley about 10 down too. But to be honest I feel for the mids because Gawn just spoon fed their mids after half time. Sinclair was woeful, didn't even put up a fight. He only managed 6 disposals too. Dreadful.

What do we do? It's a bit of a connundrum really. We have players who are so out of form they resemble a badly smashed up vehicle. Our game plan is dated and I really believe the players have stopped listening. Some of the efforts seem to be players just getting a stat. Bud started playing for Bud and that is unusual.

What can the coaches do? Firstly we have to change the game plan. Then most importantly we need to change the rucks and midfield. The group of players in the mids needs to change. Longmire is not a fan of change, that is quite obvious by not playing Heeney, Mills and Dawson at the coalface when that is where they are best. Heens wi still go forward and kick 2goals. In the meantime you fat a 30 plus game from him. Same with Mills. Dawson is a much different player. In the reserves he was a huge ball winner in the mids but it was his ability to go forward and kick a goal or two that changed games. He has this knack of being able to get free when playing mids and his kond low kicks are just what we need. These players are the group to pick our mids from;

Kennedy, Parker, Hewett, Heeney, Mills, Dawson, Papley, Ronke, Rowbottom, Blakey, Buddy. Why put Bud there? Well it's like this he is sensational at delivering and sometimes we get too Bud conscious. Taking him out of the forward line cancels that. Not only that he is huge, strong and has a big fend off. He can break packs apart.

Rucks are a problem but not as much as they should be with our best Ruck out. Cameron has been playing well in the NEAFL and so has the Newby, McLean. Now this is very interesting too. Amarty kicked 3 goals in the reserves and looked very good now he is freed up to play FF. McLean is a bullock Ing Mummy style Ruckman who is super strong and aggressive at the contest. I like this pick up a lot. He also kicks goals. In the reserves we are getting an average of 3.5 goals/game from rucks. That is huge. Maybe we need to give Sinkas and Reid some reserves time and play some of the newbies, Cameron, MsLean and, Amarty. We are not making finals by even any gift of luck of the Irish. We might as well look to the future and blood players.

James' Bell and Rowbottom are knocking on the door as are Wicks and Stoddart, COR is playing his heart out and deserves a call up. Melican seemed better last game. We need to fee Aliir up to play CHB not be stuck on the goal line. That was, shitty coaching getting him stuck there.

These players, should be on notice or are old guard who have no currency in the future;

Thurlow, Parker, Ronke, Reid, Blakey, McInnerney, Sinclair & Hewett (his season so far has been lamentable but then again being asked to play defensive HF is probably head scratching). I think we could drop almost all of the on current form. But the ones I would look to drop;

Ronke, Thurlow (needs to get disposal right), Reid, Blakey Sinclair & McInnerney. It's out of that lot. Maybe not the lot but certainly a substantial body of them. We can't continue to play underpeeforming players. If Reid can't kick a goal from 30, can't even score mind you, he needs to go back and learn how to do that again. McInnerney is obvious, he was very poor. Blakey is simply not doing enough. Thurlow needs to get the disposal right and I'd rather that was done at NEAFL level than AFL. Sinclair has had a very poor season so far. His output has been way down and I think bringing the two other rucks in to replace him might be beneficial. The Blakey spot frees up a resting Ruck spot. McLean has played VFL against most of the other tucks in the AFL and I think we need to bite the bullet on Cameron. Ronke can play mids but we don't use him there. He is getting the best small defender every week now. That makes it just a little difficult for a 2nd year player so he needs to learn how to beat the tag. He needs to learn that at NEAFL level.

So that's my bit. I don't care if we don't win a game and tank out just as long as we are playing the future and trying something new. I think we will win games if the coaches can manage to back the talent and allow them to use their flair. But I doubt they'll do that. All the skills are being coached out of this group.

Great post

Prez

Debutant
Mar 24, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Don't write the Swans off just yet. They are not clicking together as well as they need too but their bad periods in games has reduced over the past few weeks. If they can move the ball quicker for longer & keep the intensity up wins will come.

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Clarke and Rowbottom in for McInerney & Blakey. Neither of those two did much all game while Clarke & Rowbottom offer a lot more grunt (which we lacked in the second half). Backing Clarke to turn good, while I believe Blakey has been thrown into it too early. He physically doesn't look ready for how we're playing him.
Clarke's numbers look good but I saw the GWS game and his disposal was not only poor his decision making was crap. He may be an athlete but he's not a natural footballer.

There are so many areas we could make changes for this game its hard to really get a fix on them. I dont know who, McLean or Cameron, but one needs to come in to help Sinclair. This might be the game Reid starts as a backman and McCartin can go forward, the calls for Rowbottom make most sense given how badly we are being beaten around the ball.

Maybe Thurlow, Hewitt out
McLean, Rowbottom in

However as mentioned by others there are a number of changes we could make, history tells me we wont go crazy with the changes. If McLean is the Mummy type of Ruck he could very much provide something for us. I feel like Cameron deserves the opportunity more though, however McLean may advantage the team more? Question would be what if Sinclair is out, do you then bring both in?

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
He has been very good, but a long way short of his potential to dominate the backline. I think the pre season rucking did not help. He plays best methinks with a clear brain.
He plays better at CHB not fullback. Due to Melican not being match ready he is having to take the big full forwards. Had Maibaum been fit he probably would have stepped into that role. But what it is doing is keeping AA from playing his best footy. He plays that as the big mark intercept player across half back. You cannot do that at FB

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
There are so many areas we could make changes for this game its hard to really get a fix on them. I dont know who, McLean or Cameron, but one needs to come in to help Sinclair. This might be the game Reid starts as a backman and McCartin can go forward, the calls for Rowbottom make most sense given how badly we are being beaten around the ball.

Maybe Thurlow, Hewitt out
McLean, Rowbottom in

However as mentioned by others there are a number of changes we could make, history tells me we wont go crazy with the changes. If McLean is the Mummy type of Ruck he could very much provide something for us. I feel like Cameron deserves the opportunity more though, however McLean may advantage the team more? Question would be what if Sinclair is out, do you then bring both in?

I think it’s more likely that Blakey gets pushed out of the forward line than it is Reid going to defence.

Therefore Cameron in and Sinclair forward. Reid to move into Blakeys role. Blakey either goes to wing or out, I think they’ll try him wing first.

So maybe McInerney out, Cameron in (or McLean). Blakey pushes to the wing. Not sure whether Cameron will get the nod though. Horse did suggest Sinclair was crook.

And no I don’t think you would bring both in.

I can’t see Thurlow going out without someone to replace him in the back 6 (though I’d personally be open to see what Dawson might give us there). If anything it may well be McInerney for another player who can play half back, perhaps COR even Stoddart. That is given we lost McVeigh and replaced him with McInerney who played wing.

I am not sure which way they’ll go yet!

I’d like to see Rowbottom in. Maybe at the expense of Ronke (though his second half was better) with Papley playing more forward minutes and Rowbottom taking his midfield duties (or at least some of them). Not sure if they’ll cut Hewett. Offensively he has been poor, but he has mostly done a very good job with tagging.

Not sure which direction we will head with selection this week to be honest.

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
I think it’s more likely that Blakey gets pushed out of the forward line than it is Reid going to defence.

Therefore Cameron in and Sinclair forward. Reid to move into Blakeys role. Blakey either goes to wing or out, I think they’ll try him wing first.

So maybe McInerney out, Cameron in (or McLean). Blakey pushes to the wing. Not sure whether Cameron will get the nod though. Horse did suggest Sinclair was crook.

And no I don’t think you would bring both in.

I can’t see Thurlow going out without someone to replace him in the back 6 (though I’d personally be open to see what Dawson might give us there). If anything it may well be McInerney for another player who can play half back, perhaps COR even Stoddart. That is given we lost McVeigh and replaced him with McInerney who played wing.

I am not sure which way they’ll go yet!

I’d like to see Rowbottom in. Maybe at the expense of Ronke (though his second half was better) with Papley playing more forward minutes and Rowbottom taking his midfield duties (or at least some of them). Not sure if they’ll cut Hewett. Offensively he has been poor, but he has mostly done a very good job with tagging.

Not sure which direction we will head with selection this week to be honest.
And then I answered you , they don't know

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
And then I answered you , they don't know

Haha great timing!

I can’t say I am surprised really.

Eh I will have a go.

Sinclair to FF, Cameron in to ruck.
Mcinerney out, Rowbottom in
Ronke out, Cameron in

Blakey to wing.
Sinclair to FF.
Cameron to ruck
Papley replace Ronke
Rowbottom replace Papley with some midfield minutes
Dawson to play off half back perhaps

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
No he is a natural inside mid who can play forward.
Thumbs up - though I don't think he had a total shocker. Wasn't used when he did get free - and yes didn't have the confidence to demand the ball by running into spaces he could of. Still won two frees and was it 19 pressure acts? Worth another game IMHO as long as Blakey is rested - can't have two guys not getting the ball like Florent and Hayward two years back, it puts too much pressure on the rest.

Rowbottom snapped 2 goals under immediate physical pressure inside the forward 50 in the last NEAFL game - his other goal was under pressure from 80 freaking meters out!
If the coaches can't see him as a forward (if only temporarily) frogmarch the lot of them out the gate while we all get to pelt them with garbage and animal s**t from the mini Easter show!

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
Haha great timing!

I can’t say I am surprised really.

Eh I will have a go.

Sinclair to FF, Cameron in to ruck.
Mcinerney out, Rowbottom in