Unofficial Preview round 5 we have to play again sorry this time against richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hannas, Macca, Mills, Bud, Tippett and more. Horse is just as bad as Eade was at playing players who should not play because they are not ready. He didn't quite reach Eade's low of playing a player with only one good arm, Mickey O.

On ANE-LX2J using BigFooty.com mobile app

Longmire made completely the wrong call on Hannebery. From what St Kilda have said Longmire basically ran Hannebery into the ground when what he needed was a long rest to allow his body to heal properly.

If we judge Papley purely as a midfielder (which we have to as his goal tally suggests he is not a forward anymore) then we see Papley's midfield stats are not brilliant.

Disposals - 17.5
Marks - 4.8
Clearances - 3.5
Clangers - 4
Disposal efficiency - 65.7%
Metres Gained - 241m
Score Involvements - 6.8

Other than perhaps score involvements those are not great figures. I mean they are not so bad I am calling for him to be dropped, but those are the figures of a below average midfielder, nothing more.

He isn’t play full time midfield......

Hello all this is my 1st time post. When our team takes to the field tomorrow evening I think its worth noting that it is comprised of:
6 1st round picks
5 2nd rounders
4 3rd rounder
7 rookies
Rookies are rookies for a reason , predominately a Knock / deficiency on their game of some kind which was why they were overlooked by all
the clubs to start with. Maybe it's just the balance has gone to far with so much youth / inexperience to carry the rest of field.( not to mention the iffy
disposal of a couple of our work horses). Cheers.

That’s fine but you said barely. 50% is not barely.

It is in my book. Anything less than 80% is. It’s not just Heeney though. How about Mills- an elite A grade mid junior and we’ve wasted him in defence.

Well he isn't spending much time forward either considering he has kicked 3 goals in 4 matches. Where is he playing, what is his role?
Poor argument. You could ask what Franklin is doing too, he’s only kicked 7 goals and he’s stationed in the forward line full time.

You say that like you think that is the only way to play. As stated before West Coast is not like that, and most of their players have set roles, not usually changing those roles much.

The problem is we are playing players out of position, playing them in roles that they are not suited to and it is hurting their development. I can't believe for a second that Mills would not have been better off being put into the midfield from day one and left there. He would be a much better player now if he was.

I can almost guarantee you that if Longmire got Sam Walsh in the draft Walsh would be playing either in the backline or forward line right now for us, instead of playing in the midfield like he is with Carlton right now, and playing really well.
West Coast are playing their players 'in position' because they have a very well drilled & matured team with a sprinkling of young players & good depth. Look through their p'ship team. Only a year before they were questioned as being soft on away games as they couldn't win to save themselves.
We have holes in all areas of the ground & are trying to try players in non conventional positions to what they may be used to.Things change when players find their mojo & with our very young list, they are a little way off where WC are at.
I'm looking forward to seeing who copes with being given roles in various positions. That's how we find our future stars.

Look that's how I see the game & where we are at. I'm really content with not having a similar view to other posters on here who are scathing & critical of the club more often than not.
Whatever floats your boat.
Anyway, I repeat, even in transition we'll beat the Tigers like I said earlier in the week. They won't have the big cheat illegally grabbing hold of Buddy all game. Buddy to kick 6.
Swans by 15 to 21 points.

West Coast are playing their players 'in position' because they have a very well drilled & matured team with a sprinkling of young players & good depth. Look through their p'ship team. Only a year before they were questioned as being soft on away games as they couldn't win to save themselves.
We have holes in all areas of the ground & are trying to try players in non conventional positions to what they may be used to.Things change when players find their mojo & with our very young list, they are a little way off where WC are at.
I'm looking forward to seeing who copes with being given roles in various positions. That's how we find our future stars.

Look that's how I see the game & where we are at. I'm really content with not having a similar view to other posters on here who are scathing & critical of the club more often than not.
Whatever floats your boat.
Anyway, I repeat, even in transition we'll beat the Tigers like I said earlier in the week. They won't have the big cheat illegally grabbing hold of Buddy all game. Buddy to kick 6.
Swans by 15 to 21 points.

I would rather give the players, especially the young players set roles, give them something firm to work towards, a role that they know is theirs and that they can develop within those roles, easily being able to compare one game to the next because they are playing the same role every time, playing in their best positions. It may mean we lose more games in 2019 as like you said we do have holes in the side, but it will also mean players like Mills, Heeney, Florent, Papley, Rowbottom and a host of others will actually be able to improve and gain confidence in the position they are playing rather than being moved around 3 times a match.

I would rather give the players, especially the young players set roles, give them something firm to work towards, a role that they know is theirs and that they can develop within those roles, easily being able to compare one game to the next because they are playing the same role every time, playing in their best positions. It may mean we lose more games in 2019 as like you said we do have holes in the side, but it will also mean players like Mills, Heeney, Florent, Papley, Rowbottom and a host of others will actually be able to improve and gain confidence in the position they are playing rather than being moved around 3 times a match.
Fair enough if that's what you believe & wamt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hahahahahaha that is almost the funniest thing I’ve heard on here. So Papley has only kicked 3 goals...no excuses. Franklin has only kicked 7...all the excuses in the world!

C’mon dude, it’s a team sport and they all have roles to play...no excuses!

I do. I would rather leave Mills in the midfield (for instance). Sure it may create a hole in defence in 2019, but it would benefit us a lot in 2020 and 2021.
But we are a team. He plays where he is best for the team.
J. McGovern wanted to play as a forward & was banging heads with Simpson over it only in 2017. Play where the team needs you to play. Let the coaches coach.
We know F all.

You say that like you think that is the only way to play. As stated before West Coast is not like that, and most of their players have set roles, not usually changing those roles much.

The problem is we are playing players out of position, playing them in roles that they are not suited to and it is hurting their development. I can't believe for a second that Mills would not have been better off being put into the midfield from day one and left there. He would be a much better player now if he was.

I can almost guarantee you that if Longmire got Sam Walsh in the draft Walsh would be playing either in the backline or forward line right now for us, instead of playing in the midfield like he is with Carlton right now, and playing really well.

West Coast do have utilities. And they do play players “out of position” when necessary. Grundy is injured. Maibaum is injured. Melican is searching for his mojo. McVeigh is injured. So Mills and McCartin are playing in defence. Heeney has a crook ankle so he spent the first couple of weeks forward. He was mostly in the middle last week until he was crunched.

It’s great the Walsh is doing well. Murphy did well early too. And Gibbs. And Cripps. The first two are broken. Cripps will be broken soon too. And Carlton are still last.

The one player we put in the midfield early in his career is broken too. Thankfully at St Kilda. Another bloke we played as a key forward too early (Reid) is also broken.

Well he isn't spending much time forward either considering he has kicked 3 goals in 4 matches. Where is he playing, what is his role?

He has kicked 3 goals 6 mate. 9 shots on goal in 4 games is 2.25 shots per game.

At the same point last year, playing almost exclusively forward he had kicked 5 goals 5. So one less shot from less forward time vs last year and has doubled his clearances.

Hahahahahaha that is almost the funniest thing I’ve heard on here. So Papley has only kicked 3 goals...no excuses. Franklin has only kicked 7...all the excuses in the world!

C’mon dude, it’s a team sport and they all have roles to play...no excuses!
Although papley has not had to deal with the delivery from the likes of papley!!!!

Papley cleqrance numbers are misleading he does f all with most of them

Sydney 1-3 that’s the only stat that matters soon to be 1-5

He can improve his clearance effectiveness without doubt. One though has to get their hands on the footy first and he has shown he has a knack of doing so, winning clearances and driving the ball forward.

One can be taught how to be more effective but far more difficult to give someone the courage and skill to win the clearance in the first place.

Hello all this is my 1st time post. When our team takes to the field tomorrow evening I think its worth noting that it is comprised of:
6 1st round picks
5 2nd rounders
4 3rd rounder
7 rookies
Rookies are rookies for a reason , predominately a Knock / deficiency on their game of some kind which was why they were overlooked by all
the clubs to start with. Maybe it's just the balance has gone to far with so much youth / inexperience to carry the rest of field.( not to mention the iffy
disposal of a couple of our work horses). Cheers.

Welcome to the BF board. Hope you stick around and continue to contribute here. I think you raise some interesting points about the makeup of the squad for this game. There are many deficiencies in the Swans list compared to other squads who have a higher proportion of top draft picks. Perspective is always good to carry into games as it means that disappointment is less likely to be a regular occurance when those rookies and lesser skilled players are out played.

He can improve his clearance effectiveness without doubt. One though has to get their hands on the footy first and he has shown he has a knack of doing so, winning clearances and driving the ball forward.

One can be taught how to be more effective but far more difficult to give someone the courage and skill to win the clearance in the first place.

very fair

I do. I would rather leave Mills in the midfield (for instance). Sure it may create a hole in defence in 2019, but it would benefit us a lot in 2020 and 2021.

if he performed in the middle there would be less for the defence to do

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back