VFL Round 5 - Werribee vs Collingwood at Norm Minns Oval (Pies lost 101-112 #bringbackthevflreplay)

Remove this Banner Ad

Langdon 27 possessions in 3 quarters. Good to see he's hit the ground running.
He was quick to settle in, and composed on the ball, but some rather indirect play amongst it all.
In fact, all of Ramsay, Shaz and Langdon's numbers are inflated by chip kicking around about.

Sounds like a very good return from young Tom. It will be a nice bonus if he can get back to the sort of form he was showing a couple of years back. Of course quite a few of the "experts" around here have written him off because when he last played (prior to getting injured) he wasn't looking so good.

Cox took 8 marks, I see. I hope a fair few of them were overhead marks, he's obviously struggled in that area of late. Does anyone happen to know? Scharenberg has starred again, surely he plays seniors next week?! He should have played this week, of course, who knows but we just might have won and our season would still be alive!

All up, given that the senior team sits 17th and the VFL team must be pretty close to the bottom of the ladder, I am feeling quite buoyant about our prospects! Not for this year obviously, but I'd say things will turn around quite soon because I think enough pieces are in place for us to improve significantly in the near future.

Sounds like a very good return from young Tom. It will be a nice bonus if he can get back to the sort of form he was showing a couple of years back. Of course quite a few of the "experts" around here have written him off because when he last played (prior to getting injured) he wasn't looking so good.

Cox took 8 marks, I see. I hope a fair few of them were overhead marks, he's obviously struggled in that area of late. Does anyone happen to know? Scharenberg has starred again, surely he plays seniors next week?! He should have played this week, of course, who knows but we just might have won and our season would still be alive!

All up, given that the senior team sits 17th and the VFL team must be pretty close to the bottom of the ladder, I am feeling quite buoyant about our prospects! Not for this year obviously, but I'd say things will turn around quite soon because I think enough pieces are in place for us to improve significantly in the near future.
Sounds like a good return by Langdon. Think we have forgotten a bit how good his first 2 seasons were. Hopefully he can slot back into the AFL side with a few more matches played. Shaz has to be ready after racking up possessions these last 2 weeks. Hope he get a crack.

Cox had numbers much improved. With the goals kicked as well sounds a good game. Hopefully he gets to run around and build confidence in the VFL prior to another AFL crack later in the year. 8 marks is good also. Think he is a much better contested mark than most give him credit for. If his stats numbers go up will round out his game. He would be one of the few players in the AFL , maybe the only one, who has taken more contested marks than uncontested marks in his career.

Oylvjik.png

04alWMD.png

Broomhead had 8 handballs and no kicks according to those stats?What happened there?
Actually, he was playing well until flattened by a friendly-fire head clash. A lot of early handball was attacking and effective between the likes of Broomy, Brown and Thomas.

Langdon did well for a first game back.
Most of Cox's marks were overhead (5 or 6 from memory plus a couple of frees in marking contests) - it was encouraging from that perspective. Also, he spent very very little time rucking.
I didn't think Shaz starred, but I definitely think he should be playing seniors now..

Langdon did well for a first game back.
Most of Cox's marks were overhead (5 or 6 from memory plus a couple of frees in marking contests) - it was encouraging from that perspective. Also, he spent very very little time rucking.
I didn't think Shaz starred, but I definitely think he should be playing seniors now..
Thanks mate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll put my hand up as a doubter. Time out of the game won't have solved Tom's issues with intensity and awareness so it'll be interesting to see how he tracks upon return. Like Smith stat padding in the defensive third will only take you so far!

I'd be interested in how he performs in a system where he's challenged over his competitiveness in game.

I'll put my hand up as a doubter. Time out of the game won't have solved Tom's issues with intensity and awareness so it'll be interesting to see how he tracks upon return. Like Smith stat padding in the defensive third will only take you so far!

I'd be interested in how he performs in a system where he's challenged over his competitiveness in game.
I'm glad he's playing again. At the very least he adds some depth to our playing ranks. Perhaps his absence has caused me to forget any deficiencies in his game, though the impact he made in his "earlier days" was good enough for me to hope he can get back to being a decent player.

I'm glad he's playing again. At the very least he adds some depth to our playing ranks. Perhaps his absence has caused me to forget any deficiencies in his game, though the impact he made in his "earlier days" was good enough for me to hope he can get back to being a decent player.

That's definitely something we can both agree on because it frustrates me that his progress was stalled by injury and not a hiatus at the lower level to work on his flaws. Now that he's back I hope they have him work through an extended block in the two's. He has ability, but if we can't develop those bad habits out of his game he'll remain an ok player which he has been since day dot.

My main beef is that I want him to be better than ok so it's been pretty disappointing that the coaching group haven't been able to help him improve up to his injury last season.

Who do Langdon and Scharenberg replace in our current team? I'd prefer to pump games into Maynard.
I absolutely don't want Maynard replaced. Despite his occasional stuff-ups I think he can turn into a very fine player down the track a bit, we just need to be a bit patient with him, the club seems to have the same view, which is good.

Scharenberg has to go into the side this week, he should have played the other day, a place in the side needed to be found for him. Langdon just needs to play well in the reserves for a while and he can be a chance for senior selection.

That's definitely something we can both agree on because it frustrates me that his progress was stalled by injury and not a hiatus at the lower level to work on his flaws. Now that he's back I hope they have him work through an extended block in the two's. He has ability, but if we can't develop those bad habits out of his game he'll remain an ok player which he has been since day dot.

My main beef is that I want him to be better than ok so it's been pretty disappointing that the coaching group haven't been able to help him improve up to his injury last season.
That's probably a pretty decent summary. "Young" Tom turns 23 in a few weeks time, he was almost 20 when he debuted, so perhaps it was easy to be taken in by the fact that he looked quite reasonable from the start at senior level. I hope he gets a good run injury-wise now and that he realises that he needs to really lift his intensity and make up for the lost time.

In: Langdon

Scharenberg needs to string together some 40 disposal games before being considered.

And he needs to butcher every one of those 40 possessions before being considered.
That's the question I want answered before being considered for a return to the senior side. What was Langdon's kicking efficiency against Werribee? It's not about kicks and handballs. It all about what you do with the ball. That's why I would prefer Scharenberg to get picked for the senior team before Langdon.

Can anyone who's seen a lot of live VFL this year give an update on Callum Brown? Doesn't seem to be much discussion about him but he's a relatively high draft pick... Is he a chance of debuting later this year? What's his pace like and footskills like?
Only because he contracted glandular fever a couple of weeks before Heeney. Before that he looked likely to debut the first game of the season. A contested inside mid, he gets a heap of the ball and has the football instincts to know what to do with the ball. His body was immature at the start of the preseason and he would have lost weight due to his GF so it's going to take a while before he can play senior football.

In: Langdon

Scharenberg needs to string together some 40 disposal games before being considered.

Happy to see them both playing strong consistent footy in the VFL. Can't actually see a spot for either in defence at the moment.

Who do Langdon and Scharenberg replace in our current team? I'd prefer to pump games into Maynard.
Scharenberg replaces Maynard in the back half, Maynard replaces Blair in the forward half. Langdon needs more games, so wait and see who's injured or out of form.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back