Preview Round 6 – GWS Giants vs Brisbane Lions, Saturday 28st April 2018, Spotless Stadium, 4.35pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
Did anyone watch the start of the post-match presser? Leon looked like he’d just been to a funeral. Perhaps for the team of 2016.

I sat there in disbelief most of the game. It was very reminiscent of mid-season last year. There were so many mistakes, and a lot of them without any real pressure from the opposition.

I know we’re a bit unsettled at the moment, missing a few big names, but seriously, we had more than enough talent on the park to win yesterday. On intent alone, the Saints probably deserved to. We let them kick the last three of the match; they were unlucky not to kick a fourth. Very hard to excuse something like that.

Let’s be honest about the way we’re playing. Are we the sort of team to beat Geelong in Geelong? How about Adelaide in Adelaide? Or even North in Hobart? I think we all know the answer.

We seem to have stalled somewhere in the last 18 months. The sense of expectation around us has gone. We need some collective soul-searching, because the draw is flattering us at the moment. It’s about to get much, much harder, and we’ll be found out if there isn’t major change somewhere.

As for those big-name injuries, Nick Haynes will almost certainly be rested this week, and I don’t think we’ll see Josh Kelly either. Not sure about Rory Lobb, but we probably need him. Zac Langdon will almost certainly return. Kennedy and Buntine are still a couple of weeks away. We have some great talent waiting in the wings, but it's probably not a good time to blood them.

It’s hard to see how we can meaningfully change the team in the short-term anyway. Our problems are deeper than the loss of individual players.The current line-up must demonstrate more hunger.

The opposition this week are winless after five games. Not a good place to be. I reckon they'll fancy causing an upset.

I’m not going to predict a win this week but make a statement.

It’s great to be back at Spotless Stadium.

We'll win this one by 10 goals. Nothing more certain than we'll hit back hard at Spotless after a frustrating game away l. Haynes Corkie will heal or not, if he's not completely right then he shouldn't.
Stefan Martin is an A grade ruck and unless Lobb is fit and firing I'd actually favour Dawson who is.
Hopefully Zac Langdon is ready. I'm a bit confused about calls for more small forwards and Lloyd to be dropped the only practical option would be Bonar to me.

I worry about Himmelburg, his relocation last week is hard to read on cause and effect. Was it a different role or a change to try and bring him into the game? Not sure what is going on and while he may be best in the NEAFL for a while it needs to sorted through the season. We have no replacement like for like except possibly Tomlinson, and he hasn't performed well as a leading forward, or have the ground level capacity we need in that position I think. What will probably happen without him is we play an extra small forward/mid instead, and rotate a tall back up forward as and if required.

Watching Jack Ziebell play today made me realise we are missing someone like him. Just an all round tough nut who is fierce at the ball. Ward is like that but someone else of that ilk would be so handy.

Watching Jack Ziebell play today made me realise we are missing someone like him. Just an all round tough nut who is fierce at the ball. Ward is like that but someone else of that ilk would be so handy.
Thought we might have a bit of that in Hopper. Would like all the boys have a little bit more hardness to be honest.

I'd like our lineup to look more like this for the Lions, assuming Langdon is the only fully fit out ready to come back.

Shaw - Davis - Corr
Haynes (Perryman) - Griffen - Finlayson
Whitfield - Ward - Tomlinson
Taranto - Cameron - Hopper
Greene - Patton - Deledio
Simpson - Shiel - Coniglio
I/C: De Boer, Lloyd, Langdon, Cumming

Emerg: Flynn, Keefe, Shipley, Bonar

It won't, but I'd like it a lot

Lobb for Patton.
Hopefully Kelly comes back though its another week away rayman?

Tobes will be good for the run last week so hopefully puts foot down. He wont play 2 bad games in a row.

Jezza i have no clue. Kicking practice only this week.

Im much much more confident about this game than last week. No sinking feeling.

Our defense was fine last week.

Our midfield and fwds were not and the kock up the bum will get them going let alone being our 1st game at Spotless.

Crowd i have no idea. Brisbane wont pull that many but they are really pushing the under 15s for free and our 1st game back so hopefully around 15 to 17k.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Lobb for Patton.

Tobes will be good for the run last week so hopefully puts foot down. He wont play 2 bad games in a row.

Our midfield and fwds were not and the kock up the bum will get them going let alone being our 1st game at Spotless.

Crowd i have no idea. Brisbane wont pull that many but they are really pushing the under 15s for free and our 1st game back so hopefully around 15 to 17k.

:eek:We won't be dropping Patton, Have some faith.Crowd interesting. Suns last year in the early rnd2 game was a very disappointing 8k. Member numbers tracking similar. Hopefully better than that, looking forward to getting back to Spotless, one good thing about the late start when we do get there it's a regular run of games now.

Last edited:
:eek:We won't be dropping Patton, Have some faith.Crowd interesting. Suns last year in the early rnd2 game was a very disappointing 8k. Member numbers tracking similar. Hopefully better than that looking forward to getting back to Spotless, one good thing about the late start when we do get there it's a regular run of games now.

Haha look at my name. I dont make that decision lightly but he hasnt been in his best form and i dont want to go too tall. Again.

Hoping with the better promotion we will be further ahead crowd wise.

Haha look at my name. I dont make that decision lightly but he hasnt been in his best form and i dont want to go too tall. Again.

Hoping with the better promotion we will be further ahead crowd wise.

Our get out marking option and relief ruck is better not being a shortarse in my view. We could probably play Lobb in his role and Dawson as primary ruck. :)That would actually be a bit taller though.

I would like to see us blood at least 1 preferably two of our rookies who have been on the emg bench the last two weeeks with langdon in as well. Go some fresh enthusiasm as the "old heads' look to go through the motions at times. Patton will not be dropped but needs to find form. Reid..Gone, HH & Llody cam have a spell. Haynes can be rested.

Watched the QClash yesterday and the Lions were unlucky..they are building for a win soon. They have some seriously speedy players. Charlie cameron will have a field day against our taller, slower defenders if we are not careful.

Our get out marking option and relief ruck is better not being a shortarse in my view. We could probably play Lobb in his role and Dawson as primary ruck. :)That would actually be a bit taller though.
Fair enough.

Just think he is costing us more at the moment than what he is giving.

Hope he turns it around this week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair enough.

Just think he is costing us more at the moment than what he is giving.

Hope he turns it around this week.

It's all opinion. I think it might be a bit of what @-GT- said. Lack of respect for the opposition in Saturday. It seemed like there was a lack of enthusiasm to run defensively from early on to me. Fits with a mindset of "we'll smash them at some point" no need to worry. There were signs in might happen to encourage that but it didn't.

We won't drop Jezza, nor should we. Right up there in marks taken. Has the kicking yips at the moment, but plenty of others including Buddy have had those. Patton not clunking marks like last year, but not being kicked to his best advantage. Also being used as second ruck, and probably looks better when Rory returns and provides more around the ground. In the past, Rory as third tall has provided that option as wing get out kick receiver from defence: Patton & Jezza too. Dawson and Harry are not as good, which is where we are losing some of our transition from D50 to I50. The other loss is the speed transition without Williams, Scully & Kelly. However TOJ has provided an extra outlet - both long kick from defence or pinpoint pass. Despite people being happy with our defence, too often our defenders kicked blindly from D50 or to a contest that we lost, sending the ball straight back in. That is part of the reason why Saints had more I50s. Heater was one of the big offenders. If Isaac Cumming is a good ball user, I would like to see him have a go. Lids could also drop back too - his ball use has been excellent these past 2 weeks.

I'd like our lineup to look more like this for the Lions, assuming Langdon is the only fully fit out ready to come back.

Shaw - Davis - Corr
Haynes (Perryman) - Griffen - Finlayson
Whitfield - Ward - Tomlinson
Taranto - Cameron - Hopper
Greene - Patton - Deledio
Simpson - Shiel - Coniglio
I/C: De Boer, Lloyd, Langdon, Cumming

Emerg: Flynn, Keefe, Shipley, Bonar

It won't, but I'd like it a lot
I wouldn't think it's far off. Deledio High half Forward? He seems like more a final distributor than a deep forward to me. I like Toby deep because he can present a target and crumb.

Watched the QClash yesterday and the Lions were unlucky..they are building for a win soon. They have some seriously speedy players. Charlie cameron will have a field day against our taller, slower defenders if we are not careful.

Don’t forget they ran Port within a goal in Adelaide a couple of weeks ago. Should not be underestimated.

We are, however, home for the first time this year and should be smarting for taking the Aints too lightly and f#*#ing it up last week. Boys should be angry and put the foot down.

Raises an interesting point. I 'm assuming there's a NEAFL game? There was something from the AFL before the start of the season about shortening times pre game to allow more curtain raisers as I recall. I like to go over early but less than an hour from the NEAFL to the AFL would be good. Nit picking though, can't wait for Saturday, and Spotless is the best ground I've been to.

A few question marks over a few players injury wise for the Lions clash
Kelly test for his groin and with a tough run of games coming up I would rather he was right for those
Lobb probably a test for the knee bruising
Simpson I have seen the incident and it didn't look too bad but as he came off with concussion Simpson could get a week
Haynes Bad corky so should get up I would think
Cameron carrying something but if he played the Saints game I would think he will be right for Saturday
Langdon a test and he should have kept his fitness up
As the 2s had a bye I could only see experience being added to the squad unless they are prepared to take a risk and I would like to see a debut for Cumming
My team before the injury list comes out

Shaw Davis Finlayson
Whitfield Corr Haynes
Shiel Ward TT
Greene Cameron Griffen
MDB Patton Langdon
Lobb/Simpson Coniglio Hopper
Tomlinson Deledio Lloyd Reid/Cumming/Perryman

A few question marks but I think HH comes out as he has been having the least influence around the ground and hopefully it creates more space for Patton and Cameron to work with.
Tomlinson can play the swingman role and also an option down the line which HH has been playing.
Reid could be an option if they wanted to tag Zorko or play as the 7th defender
Griffen has been scoring goals but he should have improved his fitness and be able to spend more time around the ball or off half back
With the run of hard games after this it may be an opportunity to get a debut for someone before and Cumming must be a chance

Raises an interesting point. I 'm assuming there's a NEAFL game? There was something from the AFL before the start of the season about shortening times pre game to allow more curtain raisers as I recall. I like to go over early but less than an hour from the NEAFL to the AFL would be good. Nit picking though, can't wait for Saturday, and Spotless is the best ground I've been to.

Having done the marches in the past you had to give the field to the seniors an hour before match time. And that’s the entirety of the ground.

If that’s been reduced, excellent.

Simpson I have seen the incident and it didn't look too bad but as he came off with concussion Simpson could get a week

can't see how he even gets charged. If he was going the bump then yeah, but he was bent over going for the ball, hands outstretched. Can't charge a bloke for being tall.

Lobb for Patton.

I think 15- 17 would be a great result

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back