Preview Round 6 – GWS Giants vs Western Bulldogs, Friday 28th April, 7.50pm, Manuka Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
I don’t think I’ve seen the SCG empty so quickly.:D

After a WTF start, we took control and were never really threatened, despite a relatively poor third quarter. Leon described it, somewhat tongue-in-cheek, as “a different way to win”. But it was certainly a pleasure to watch.

Now for the Bulldogs, in our first Friday night fixture, at Manuka Oval.

It’s fair to say the Bulldogs are getting the job done at the moment without being consistent. They were lucky not to lose against North, and yesterday’s performance against Brisbane continued an unusual run of slow starts. But they’ve been good enough to recover on each occasion and win, which is what you’d expect from such a good team.

It’s also fair to say they’ve been particularly motivated against us for a while now over certain player movements, and a chip-on-the-shoulder attitude about perceived preferential treatment, while they’ve been struggling to survive, let alone win premierships. Last year’s PF win probably satisfied some of those grievances, but resentments linger. They'll turn up to play.

Concerning team changes, we’re almost certain to be without Toby, who was reported for rough conduct against Isaac Heeney. After last week I doubt the tribunal will be lenient. As for Heath’s indiscretion, I don’t know if it was a punishable offence, or what the punishment might be. The boys need to find a way to be themselves without being overly-aggressive.

Leon mentioned in the presser that Stephen was a chance to return this week, but as ligament injuries take about 6 weeks to heal properly, it’s probably better to give him another week’s grace just to be sure.

Harry Perryman played a good game in the NEAFL yesterday. He has a reputation for outstanding decision-making, so he might get a run if, as expected, Toby is suspended. Another possibility is Daniel Lloyd. Tim Mohr and Matt de Boer also played well again, and might be options if Leon has to shuffle things around.

Whatever the Bulldogs think of us, we won’t lack motivation ourselves. Friday night is a chance to atone for losing that PF, which probably cost us a premiership. It might be done and dusted, but it still burns.

This will be a cracking game, match-of-the-round, and I think we’re playing consistently enough to win.

So turn out in force all you Canberra Giants!

It's come around pretty quickly, our first Friday night game. I actually don't think we get redemption from the PF, and dont really need it anyway. In our first finals series a one goal loss to the premiers wasn't a shameful effort., but wont be good enough this year.This games about 4 points and establishing dominance in our home game before the second at Etthiad to me.

I think we need Mummy and Rory to take advantage of their weakness in the ruck and the rule chanhes and dominate there. The guys, especially our midfield need to hit them hard in the tackles and make sure they wrap up the ball. I know it's not easy but they've gotta find a way.

I dont know anything about the Toby incident except the sledge on Heeney on the AFL video, is it possibly a beat up?

;) At least one Sydney Giant is going, wouldn't miss it for the world. Prefer Manuka to the SCG. A relaxing 4 hours on the train reading a book, Hotel a 10 min stroll to the oval down quiet streets. Thought about going early and trying to locate the Canberra CBD, but it seems to be a challenge like finding the source of the Nile.

Lets collect the four points and some percentage

Last edited:
Would like to see the footage of Toby's incident. If he gets a holiday, then I'd be looking closely at Lloyd who is getting plenty of it and can hit the score board. If I was to put money on who LC would go with, it would MDB. Think he will want the extra experience on the park in what will be a tough match.

I'll be makinthr trip down for my first Canberra game. Pretty pumped about this one though- it should be a hard contest and I reckon great viewing

Giants by 12

Channel 7 has just said they couldn't find the Toby Greene incident on tape. No doubt will search again through everything. Not sure that helps or hinders Toby - reliant on the umpire's report & Swans' player & medical reports.

If he is rubbed out, options would be Taranto, Lloyd or MDB. Interesting which way they might go. Lloyd seems to have good goal sense, but would be a debutant, while MDB would at least replace the experience. Both seem to be able to run through the midfield as well, but Toby's sheer goal sense would be a massive loss.

So does Tom Papley also get into strife for his rough conduct on Shaw? Getting a bloke in a headlock is considered rough isn't it?

Dogs play like they did against Brisbane and we will destroy them.
Problem is Bevo is a good coach and wont let it carry over.

Still think we will win and win well.

Greene should be ok. No footage to say he did anything wrong...

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
Not sure that helps him tho- it will mean they base the whole thing off the umpire report

Would like to see the footage of Toby's incident. If he gets a holiday, then I'd be looking closely at Lloyd who is getting plenty of it and can hit the score board. If I was to put money on who LC would go with, it would MDB. Think he will want the extra experience on the park in what will be a tough match.
MDB has an eye injury. Doubt he will play this week

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking forward to a cracker of a game. The big occasion hopefully ensures our slow starts this season are eradicated. The media will hype up the redemption angle, we endured that tripe 7 times with all our PF losses. True redemption will only be achieved in a final. I'd love a 2018 GF with our teams but there is a lot of water to go under the bridge until that transpires. Don't know re Greene, but if Heater cops more than a fine the PC of the Afl has gone berserk. Let's all hope for a good tight contest without injuries.

Looking forward to a cracker of a game. The big occasion hopefully ensures our slow starts this season are eradicated. The media will hype up the redemption angle, we endured that tripe 7 times with all our PF losses. True redemption will only be achieved in a final. I'd love a 2018 GF with our teams but there is a lot of water to go under the bridge until that transpires. Don't know re Greene, but if Heater cops more than a fine the PC of the Afl has gone berserk. Let's all hope for a good tight contest without injuries.
Nothing will be imposed on Heater by the AFL. The club should be seen to do something, but it won't be a suspension.

Ye

yeah perhaps- could go either way

Hopefully he plays obviously but they raised it as a concern on game day this morning
Caroline Wilson on Offsiders was 4 figure fine and an apology with the AFL happy to leave it to the and ut be put to bed ASAP. I know she gets a lot of hate, but I think she's smart and usually accurate.

It won't be enough for us to outclass and outplay the Dogs on Friday night to secure the points.

The umpires rubbed out a Lions win on the weekend in Q3 by handing the Dogs inexplicable 50's.

Throw in the usual illegal throws - because that's the way the Dogs are coached - and this could be close run at Manuka if we're not at our best.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back