Preview Round 6 – Port Adelaide vs GWS Giants, Sunday 12th July 2020, Metricon Stadium, 1.05pm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
Well done boys. A very assured victory against a team that had our measure last year. Keep playing like that and we might have something special on our hands at the end of this crazy season.

Obviously, there was a big improvement from TOJ and Himmelberg, with eight goals between them, but everyone seemed to lift across the board and the result was never really in doubt. All the pre-match fears about a disrupted back line didn’t come true, in fact the backs stood up very well to repeated incursions to the forward 50. We didn’t seem to have any fresh injuries, but as Leon said in the presser, we find out in the next 48 hours how everyone pulls up.

Personally, it was a pleasure to be part of a pretty good crowd under the circumstances; the organisers did a great job spreading everyone out evenly, and it almost felt like things were back to normal (especially towards the end of that third quarter, which went on and on for more than thirty minutes).

But for now, it’s back to reality, 2020 style, as we give Miss Marilyn’s wheel a spin, and find ourselves playing ladder leaders Port Adelaide next Sunday in an away game at …. click, click, click, … Metricon Stadium!

Metricon is quite a good venue, and we’ve got a pretty good recent record up there, so I don’t think we’ll have too much trouble adapting. And I don’t think we’ll have too much trouble with Port either, after Brisbane, in a continuation of their 2019 fairy tale, well and truly burst the Power’s bubble in a commanding display at the Gabba over the weekend.

Do we need to change the line up? Williams and Taranto are still about 3-4 weeks away. I’m not sure what’s happening with Ward and Kennedy, Taylor was sick, and do we want to give Mummy a rest so he’s good for the blockbuster against the Lions the following week? Jacobs will have plenty of experience against Port, he’ll know more about them than us.

This will be our first venue test under the new hub structure. I think we’re playing well enough to get the job done.

Thoughts?

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Plenty to look forward to in this game. Port are deserved leaders on how they have played against who they've played, but hopefully we are starting to hit our straps.

I would hope that Sam Taylor is available for the game, in which case I'd swap him for Lachie Keeffe, although Lachie did his job fine yesterday.

Sheridan's position is certainly open for a change despite the win; if Cal Ward is receovered from his soreness that might be a straight swap as long as the team balance is perceived to be fine. I'd still like to see Caldwell or O'Halloran get opportunities.

Otherwise, the good thing from the Hawks game was the tactical approach - for once it seemed that Leon oufoxed Clarkson in the game; need to do the same to Port.

Metricon is quite a good venue, and we’ve got a pretty good recent record up there, so I don’t think we’ll have too much trouble adapting. And I don’t think we’ll have too much trouble with Port either, after Brisbane, in a continuation of their 2019 fairy tale, well and truly burst the Power’s bubble in a commanding display at the Gabba over the weekend.
We exposed Port in two main areas - double teaming Dixon by having a player chop off his leading space, and having our forwards play in front and force it forward. Port plays an undersized backline and 200+ guys like Hipwood and McInerney got some easy grabs as a result. They'll double team Cameron but Himmelberg (body work) and Finlayson (athleticism and height) could have another day out if they play smart.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
So the previous changes were Lloyd for Williams - obviously with someone like Whitfield or Perryman dropping from wing to HBF, and a forward having more midfield time, perhaps rotating between Greene, Daniels & Lloyd himself (noting he played the scratch match as an inside mid) - and Sheridan the late inclusion for Ward. You'd presume if it was just soreness for Cal he's return in a straight swap next week.

Nothing aganist Dan Lloyd, love his backstory and that he gives 100% every time he plays, but we really need to get games into the kids like Bobby, X & Caldwell. I don't expect any of those changes to occur, but I reckon one of them should.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Keep Keefe in, he was excellent on Sunday, I reckon he's a better match up for Dixon than Taylor would be.
Port tall forwards are Dixon, Westhoff & Todd Marshall - all fairly mobile. I would reckon Davis, Corr & Taylor all match up OK - while our backs do move around, Sam on Todd primarily would seem to be an OK match, while getting a little time rotated onto the other two for the experience. Keeffe actually moved OK against Hawks, but at other times he's a bit lumbering - my fear is him looking like McEvoy in the HH v McEvoy matchup from yesterday!

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Port tall forwards are Dixon, Westhoff & Todd Marshall - all fairly mobile. I would reckon Davis, Corr & Taylor all match up OK - while our backs do move around, Sam on Todd primarily would seem to be an OK match, while getting a little time rotated onto the other two for the experience. Keeffe actually moved OK against Hawks, but at other times he's a bit lumbering - my fear is him looking like McEvoy in the HH v McEvoy matchup from yesterday!
agreed If we have Davis Corr and Taylor available then they go in. Nothing against Keeffe.

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
Keeffe is a perfect matchup for Dixon.

Jacobs in for Mumford, if needed
Ward back in for Sheridan

That's it I reckon. Lloyd is serviceable and has done nothing wrong thus far - even though it would be nice to get some games into Caldwell.

O'Hallahran is one I really want to see get a debut but that could be a way off when Caldwell is struggling to get games and Taranto is near a return.

looks like Taranto and Ward will be back.
Im guessing that will be for Sheriden and Lloyd.
Caldwell kicking 4 and apparently having a blinder might also come into consideration. Hately (who has been good) may miss

Id love to get some games into the kids, but it is tough

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Damn, the news on Sam Taylor is not good. Guess Orange Agent gets his wish that Lachie Keeffe stays in - I'm fine with that as long as he plays as well as he did against Hawks!

I would find it odd that TT comes straight back in - it appears he didn't play the scratch match, so you'd think he needs to find a bit of conditioning before he plays; especially against the second placed team. Would love to see Caldwell feature somewhere again before TT returns, but not really at the expense of Jackson Hately who I think went quite fine against Hawks. He's not showing outstanding form, but he's put on a couple of pretty solid performances since returning to the team and doesn't IMHO deserve to go out.

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
Haynes Keeffe Shaw
Whitfield Davis Ash
Kelly Cogs Perryman
Greene Cameron Finlayson
Lloyd HH Daniels
Mummy/Sauce Hopper DeBoer
Ward Corr Green Taranto

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Tbh I would keep Taranto back a week and play him in a scratch match. The midfield group is doing well and we don’t need to rush him back.

Keefe keeps his spot but Sheridan might need to go for ward. Caldwell in for Lloyd too.

Those are my two changes

JC100

Club Legend
Jan 2, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Tarranto and Ward in for Hately/Lloyd & Sheridan.

I’m leaning towards Lloyd keeping his spot on balance. Hately has been okay but He has been babysitting tarrantos spot.

Jag a win in the next two and the run home opens right up

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
We looked our best against the hawks when we spread from the contest quickly and our outside runners used the ball. I think that will be our key this week too... they have a good midfield, but can’t compete with the talent and run we have on the outside

our forward line will be too strong if we get quality first use

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
This is a statement game for us. Win this and we are right in the discussion for a premiership (Admittedly early on)
I understand what you mean. I reckon we are already in the discussion. I think win or lose this game, injury and momentum come the end of the season will be the main factor.

Apr 30, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
I’d like to see Caldwell get a few games on the trott.
Am not sure Hately is quite ready. Still seems a little like a deer in the headlights at times. He also seemed to resort to ducking a couple of times against Hawthorn.
Leon probably knows best. The last bloke he persevered with through a solid deer in the headlight faze was Harry Perryman. That’s sure paid off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back