Review Round 6, 2018: Casey Demons v Box Hill Hawks, 13 May 2018, 2.00pm @ Casey Fields

Remove this Banner Ad

Did Lovell spend much time in the midfield or mainly up forward?
Noticed him more forward than mid. Lovell is fine with ball in hand, creates space and hits targets. The problem he has is he struggles to win the footy. Easily out marked due to chronic stumpiness and his timing was out when leading so he ended up in bad spots.

Noticed him more forward than mid. Lovell is fine with ball in hand, creates space and hits targets. The problem he has is he struggles to win the footy. Easily out marked due to chronic stumpiness and his timing was out when leading so he ended up in bad spots.

Thanks ESC. It sounds as if he is on a steep learning curve as a small forward.
I notice he was credited with 2 tackles. Does he apply defensive pressure in the forward half?

It is unfair but the comparison is Siz and Poppy. He's not there. I thought he was chasing kicks rather than doing the defensive stuff. Nothing wrong with that, he just needs game time.
Perfectly said. I think he will make it. When he has the ball in hand he looks terrific, he’s got great awareness and usually makes great choices. Right now I think his confidence in himself is completely gone. Again, this is where the development league would be perfect. Send him back to get a 30 possy game. His lack of defence on the weekend looked like someone who was frustrated that things weren’t going his way. He just needs to learn how to work through that. Hard work will eventually pay off.

I think we might be extrapolating out quite a lot from an observation of one specific moment in a game...

“Lovell won’t make it because he had his hands on his hips once”

Only two weeks early Newman said he was “fantastic” with 9 clearances and 2 goals.

It appears to me that Langford, Cuz and likely Worpel are ahead of him.
And hopefully “The Jones Boy” can keep developing and eventually overtake him.
If Ollie can get his body right, then he might also be ahead of Lovell come the end of the year

Fairly honest appraisals given by New Man.

Cuz does a job on Merrett and gets love from Clarko, Cuz then blankets Viney and gets love from Newman. The kid should be in the ones.

When was the last time we beat Casey? Been a while

Round 17, 2015. Thumped them, actually (18.15.123 to 7.7.49). Grimley and Lawlor each kicked 4. O'Brien kicked 2. Whitecross, Litherland, Lock, O'Donnell, Exon, (Jed) Anderson, Pittonet and Gibson each kicked a goal. Lawlor, Sam Collins, Jonathan Simpkin, Heatherley, Whitecross and Pittonet were named as our best players.

Match thread here

Round 17, 2015. Thumped them, actually (18.15.123 to 7.7.49). Grimley and Lawlor each kicked 4. O'Brien kicked 2. Whitecross, Litherland, Lock, O'Donnell, Exon, (Jed) Anderson, Pittonet and Gibson each kicked a goal. Lawlor, Sam Collins, Jonathan Simpkin, Heatherley, Whitecross and Pittonet were named as our best players.

Match thread here
And they've smacked us quite a few times since then? Including praccy matches. Feels like it.

Match thread here
Litherland wasn't a bad player was he...wonder if he would be getting games now at the top level given our side has changed a lot since he was moved on...

He doesn't seem to be setting the WAFL on fire with just over 13 disposals per match.

Season

League
Team # Games Goals Behinds Disposals Kicks Handballs Marks HitOuts Tackles Inside 50s W/L/D
2017 WAFL Subiaco 8 20 1 2 258 167 91 48 0 30 22 17-3-0
2018 WAFL Subiaco 8 5 1 0 74 52 22 21 0 9 3 5-0-0
Subiaco
25 2 2 332 219 113 69 0 39 25 22-3-0

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Litherland wasn't a bad player was he...wonder if he would be getting games now at the top level given our side has changed a lot since he was moved on...
Litherland was/is an awesome wet weather player. He would have killed it in the 1980s or before. Unfortunately for him, ground drainage brought accurate short kicking and “link-up to create space” to the fore, and that was not in his bag of tricks.
I thought Litherland could have been used more often by the Hawks but, when he was delisted, thought a better player for the times could be found and so was not surprised. Though, Gee I liked his dash.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back