Review Round 6, 2018 - GWS vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against GWS?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Watching the Cats for example, as soon as the ball is kicked in the direction of home, they all RUN like a wave, (like we used to in our heyday) SHEPHERD each other. Someone always seems to be there if there is a hiccup along the way..

We've been caught so many times on the turnover after running and gunning and turning it over, maybe they have become a bit reluctant to run? I think to a minor extent they are that worried about turning it over they (an area we are shocking in) that they slow down a bit and also hesitate. I see a lot of hesitation in our play.

The next level up from our kids are our weakest link. The hole left by Docherty, Yeo and Polec is telling. Add those 3 and we’d be quite formidable. We have been left with Lester, Bewick, Bell and Bastinac and Mayes. None are in form or providing any substantial on field leadership. Lester had one possession at half time yesterday. Absolute disgrace to the jumper and just bludging in his teammates. Surely his card has been marked and we can move on to developing a youngster who will at least have a crack. Or Bewick who is limited but does at least show initiative.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I find the bolded bit offensive. Lester has his limitations, he would be the first to admit that. But he tries his guts out. He was exposed by what is arguably the fastest team in the comp , but to accuse him of being an Absolute disgrace to the jumper and just bludging in his teammates is out of order,

I am not defending his contribution - IMO the game is past him - but his attitude.

Would love him to prove me wrong but I really would be surprised if Keays makes it at AFL level. I think he'll be one of those players who dominates the midfield at NEAFL but doesn't translate to AFL. He's genuinely got the same turning circle and as slow as Lester, he's so left sided its ridiculous (same with Barrett too). The game is moving towards quicker players and unless you have elite skills which Keays doesn't I'm not sure theres a spot in the team.

He will prove you wrong! Man we desperately need left footers in our line up, we are so right sided predictable, it's crazy!

Blokes in our forward line who are notoriously bad kicks for goal from set shots

- McStay
- Hipwood
- Charlie Cameron
- Christensen
- Lewie Taylor

Work on your kicks for goal boys!

Charlie has been the opposite of a bad kick this year. Hipwood has been really good as well. Like someone mentioned above, it’s our midfield crop who need to pick it up a bit this year. Beams and Zorko have not been themselves and they use to contribute about 3 goals a week last year.

Charlie has been the opposite of a bad kick this year. Hipwood has been really good as well. Like someone mentioned above, it’s our midfield crop who need to pick it up a bit this year. Beams and Zorko have not been themselves and they use to contribute about 3 goals a week last year.

Charlie has been amazing generally but I am only talking specifically from set shots. Hipwood I am happy with too, but again, just referring to set shots specifically.

Blokes in our forward line who are notoriously bad kicks for goal from set shots

- McStay
- Hipwood
- Charlie Cameron
- Christensen
- Lewie Taylor

Work on your kicks for goal boys!

Bit OTT

McStay - 31.11 (before this year)
Hipwood - 8.1 (this year, 30.16 last year)
Cameron - 11.3 this year
Christensen - 87.61
Taylor - yeah he’s bad

I find the bolded bit offensive. Lester has his limitations, he would be the first to admit that. But he tries his guts out. He was exposed by what is arguably the fastest team in the comp , but to accuse him of being an Absolute disgrace to the jumper and just bludging in his teammates is out of order,

I am not defending his contribution - IMO the game is past him - but his attitude.
His attitude during the game was tripe 1 tackle just refused to get out of a jog when gws players are running past him.His fan Club on here keep saying he does the little things.I Agree little damage to the opposition,little disposal counts,little chance of beating his opponent one on one.He should have little chance of getting a contract at seasons end.

His attitude during the game was tripe 1 tackle just refused to get out of a jog when gws players are running past him.His fan Club on here keep saying he does the little things.I Agree little damage to the opposition,little disposal counts,little chance of beating his opponent one on one.He should have little chance of getting a contract at seasons end.
Unfortunately that jog like action is actually Ryan at full tilt.

Bit OTT

McStay - 31.11 (before this year)
Hipwood - 8.1 (this year, 30.16 last year)
Cameron - 11.3 this year
Christensen - 87.61
Taylor - yeah he’s bad

Do the stats differentiate between set shots and not? Just my thoughts from watching. Didn't look at stats. Happy to be proven wrong.

Do the stats differentiate between set shots and not? Just my thoughts from watching. Didn't look at stats. Happy to be proven wrong.

I’d assume they would but only slightly. You’re right that goal kicking is a huge issue at the moment (like many other areas of the game) but it’s been good previously so it shouldn’t be too difficult to fix. It’s probably largely due to confidence although the younger guys might struggle with fatigue eg. Rayner.

This is not a revelation it’s been going on for 2 years. Watching the games live at the Gabba the lack of run both ways has been obvious. Not as obvious on TV . I hoped he would seek out a sprint coach to try and improve himself but it doesn’t seem to have happened. He has been given multiple chances apparently. Good bloke they say but I think yesterday was an enoughs enough moment. We will not improve with him in the side. If he has refused to improve his level of effort only has himself to blame. He actually possesses good skills but just not the competitive mindset required to push through his inadequacies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The next level up from our kids are our weakest link. The hole left by Docherty, Yeo and Polec is telling. Add those 3 and we’d be quite formidable. We have been left with Lester, Bewick, Bell and Bastinac and Mayes. None are in form or providing any substantial on field leadership. Lester had one possession at half time yesterday. Absolute disgrace to the jumper and just bludging in his teammates. Surely his card has been marked and we can move on to developing a youngster who will at least have a crack. Or Bewick who is limited but does at least show initiative.

For all of Lester's apparent shortcomings he is and never will be a "disgrace to the jumper and just bludging on his teamates"...that is so far off the mark to be nothing short of a pathetic assessment of one of the club's leaders who I believe to be highly regarded by other players and the coaching staff...just a ridiculous statement IMO.

Gotta admit I have a soft spot for Lester, for one reason only: I went to high school with him but had no idea until his photo was up all over the monitors the week before round 1 2011. I didn't know him either, he was 4 year levels above me. Coming from the school he came from, not surprised to hear that he "does the little things well" and has been a great leader and has won Fagan over. Not sure if he was a (sports) captain of any sort though. Ultimately though, your McCluggages and Berrys etc. will surpass him, and I won't be gutted when he is gone.

I agree with TBD's comments. Patience.

However patience might not be enough. I fear we have gone too small. Long tall and skinny. Wrong body shapes. Kids v men.

Uncompetitive against bigger types.

Even Rayner isn t big although he'll be a talented pick up. But big- no. A kpp not. We are crying out for a forward presence. Main priority IMHO.

Experience won't cure all. Recruit bigger.

And I'm consistently pissed when I see on my big screen tv draftees selected way lower than our selections by other clubs who seemingly have way bigger upside. Witness Geelong. Ready made footballers many of them.

Maybe we need to overhaul our recruitment department.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
Rayner will be a beast for his role midfield/forward.He is 18 and a half same height as Dusty and already 1KG heavier.You seen the glutes on him ?

I wonder if Zorko is regretting not shooting off to a club like Sydney or something? Surely he had a few offers and knocked them back thinking he was doing the right thing and now he realises maybe he wont see much more than what he has since hes been with us?

Sometimes home and your team mates out weighs the desire for sucsess. He us collecting a big pay cheque and is raising a family near his home. Im sure a rise back up the ladder will be satasfying for him over the next 5 years. He would understand where we at and wouldnt have expected more than 4-6 wins this year.

Having said all that, he looks like he is suffering a bit of that 'losers fatigue' that Hanley and Rocky experienced before him, it must take its toll.. wouldn't be beyond the rhelms he ups and asks for a move at years end, seems very loyal though.

This season is gone already, I would be thinking our team will open up and opportunities will arise for the players of the future. And in reality that should be happening now and has already for a couple of players.

Im not normally with this approach but id be loathed to waste any more games on Bewick, Basti, Lester at this stage. I still think Walker can play a role and Mayes had his break out year last year, get him back in the side and play him back into form.

Further on TBDs comments which I respect.

What worries me is those who haven't progressed. It could be argued they've regressed.

Mayes is one case example.

Another is McStay. Had the world at his feet. Rave reviews from et al Dermie. The next big thing. This bloke still hasn't got it through his head that his key role isn't to take mark of the year. It's to do the hard graft like everyone else.

And another thing. Richs kicking yesterday was just terrible. He should be a role model for the kids. He ain't. Last year he showed, after a roost up the bum, that he could do the hard yards. Along with Mayes and a few others Ive put him in the pensioner category. Or semi retired at least. Just coasting. Not getting damaged. Nor damaging.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

McStay had played 50 games and tbh, he has shown glimpses of that form (which was overstated anyway) from last year. Devalopmemt isnt always lineal with these KPP, keep playing him.. as I always say, Robbie Tarrent played VFL for the first 5 years. We cant just suddenly turn on him because.. 'he should improve'.. we were writing off Witho 3 weeks ago, now look at him 3 weeks later.

McStay had played 50 games and tbh, he has shown glimpses of that form (which was overstated anyway) from last year. Devalopmemt isnt always lineal with these KPP, keep playing him.. as I always say, Robbie Tarrent played VFL for the first 5 years. We cant just suddenly turn on him because.. 'he should improve'.. we were writing off Witho 3 weeks ago, now look at him 3 weeks later.
Nobody was writing Witho off.

Back