Preview Round 6, 2019: Hawthorn v Carlton, 28 April 2019, 3.20pm @ York Park

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Roughead to CHB has been going around for a decade. Even when he was winning the coleman medal.

Looks like he's playing in the centre from time to time and will be reading play and playing all over the park. Best thing for him. Our backline isn't an issue.
Yeh, our backline has been pretty solid all year IMHO.

And Rough is playing decent (not great, but decent) footy as a part time forward flank / big onballer / 2nd ruck so far this year.

Our biggest 2 concerns are midfield depth and lack of a big marking forward (which hopefully Mitch can address if he progresses rapidly).

Poor defensively. He is good going forward though and I don’t think that would hurt us right now. We kept him all this time so might as well give him a go.
He doesn't need to be that good defensively how many stoppers in the team do you want?, we have plenty already. Should be played strictly to give us heaps of drive off half back, it's a case of Clarko being stubborn in a particular mindset about a particular skill set. We have been hampered by injuries yes but I feel he hasn't done enough with who we have to make things work, instead of going the default move and putting Gunston in the backline pick some guys who can provide what your looking for without affecting the structure and style of how you want to play.

Minchington and Walker have been named and will make their debut in the VFL.

Looking forward to Walker... Minch is a bit of a waste on the list for mine, would have liked a genuine mature aged mid for depth.

Thought he was recruited as a possible replacement for Poppy.

There was an article a while back discussing him playing a similar role to Rioli.

So he was likely brought in as a small forward, but he has the runs on the board at a VFL level as a midfielder. Lots of speed, good tackler and gets a fair bit of the ball. Clarko tends to like cycling rotations through the midfield so that was definitely part of the reason he was picked up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope we roll with O'Brien and Brand this week.

Carlton will play McKay, Curnow and McGovern. Three forwards roughly the same age or younger than O'Brien. We know what we will get from Mirra, but it's time to give O'Brien a last chance to fulfill his potential in the back half.

Would have to be the most frustrating part of our play - seeing poppy contesting a high ball in the 50 vs two taller defenders. Can’t see this being the intention so highlights that something continues to break down. And yet Clarkson said Gunston was moved back to give space to Lewis?
Gunston was moved back because with Stratton, Burgoyne and Frawley out, we had no-one to lead the backline.

Ill never ever understand the Miles omission from last year and this year? Poor defensively? crikey no one in our side at moment is perfect, when he played last year we won every game bar 1. Clarko is a god to me but gee he can be stubborn, this is a perfect example. Miles dominates VFL, is a class above. He has pace and skills, to not even be in the squads this year tells me he wants out. I don't blame him now. hope he goes somewhere and gets more opportunity. Clarko has blown this.

I suspect Miles is paying the price for having his way with one of Clarko's daughters.

He doesn't need to be that good defensively how many stoppers in the team do you want?, we have plenty already. Should be played strictly to give us heaps of drive off half back, it's a case of Clarko being stubborn in a particular mindset about a particular skill set. We have been hampered by injuries yes but I feel he hasn't done enough with who we have to make things work, instead of going the default move and putting Gunston in the backline pick some guys who can provide what your looking for without affecting the structure and style of how you want to play.
He isn’t even named on the extended bench. Max bailey has commented on his defensive issues this year in the practice games so while he was emergency it sounds like his defensive issues are the reason he isn’t in the side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back