Discussion Round 6, 2019 - Photos and Discussion (ANZAC Day)

Remove this Banner Ad

And is the black around the waist meant to mimic high/tucked-in shorts? Jeez

Collingwood really really want to wear a white-based jumper and everything they've brought out onward about 2016 indicates that – white bases, trying to minimise blackness with pinstripes and more stripes... c'mon, let 'em do it full time.

Collingwood really really want to wear a white-based jumper and everything they've brought out onward about 2016 indicates that – white bases, trying to minimise blackness with pinstripes and more stripes... c'mon, let 'em do it full time.
I hope they do - but their clash has more black at the moment than it has for the last 10 years.

Collingwood:

Love the idea behind it, but makes no sense aesthetically why the middle stripe doesn't go up to the collar. I know they're going for the 1919 Premiership look but that one doesn't even have a flat edge. If its on sale a year down the track I might pick it up, but I'm not going out of my way for it.

Essendon:
Same design as previous years, not much to say. The red cuffs look pretty good actually might've been worth making the collar red too just for continuity. Like it more than ours.

It’s kind of debateable whether the 1919 had a flat edge to it. Given the way collar was more of a skivvy, some of the jumpers in the team photo look like the had a flat edge

Attachments

• A0755FAE-A3AA-4037-9CB3-64DA049811D4.jpeg
    A0755FAE-A3AA-4037-9CB3-64DA049811D4.jpeg
    47 KB · Views: 227
It’s kind of debateable whether the 1919 had a flat edge to it. Given the way collar was more of a skivvy, some of the jumpers in the team photo look like the had a flat edge
Here's a great image I found of the 1919 jumper, the middle strip is somewhat flat but not from it's design but because it meets the actual collar itself.
1554874324829.png

It's hard to judge whether the stripe was flat or curved. Going by this bloke, you'd say it's flat:

Screen Shot 2019-04-10 at 4.01.52 pm.png

But then this bloke comes along with a curved stripe:

Screen Shot 2019-04-10 at 4.02.03 pm.png

And then this bloke decided to wear his stripes the other way around:

Screen Shot 2019-04-10 at 4.02.16 pm.png

I reckon Collingwood did a pretty good job with what they had to work with. It'll be interesting to see how it comes up on match day, but from what I've seen it looks great

Richmond's ANZAC jumper.
Proceeds from each sale will be donated to the RSL’s ANZAC Appeal, supporting our current and former serving men, women and their families, in times of need.

Key Features behind this design:
  • The third and fourth stanza of Laurence Binyon’s poem “For the Fallen” displayed in Morse code, replicating the architecture of the walls of the Education Centre courtyard at the Shrine of Remembrance
  • A written version of the poem “For the Fallen” is also above the locker tag
  • A list of Richmond players who died serving our country is displayed on the back of the guernsey
1554878467631.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond's ANZAC jumper.
Proceeds from each sale will be donated to the RSL’s ANZAC Appeal, supporting our current and former serving men, women and their families, in times of need.

Key Features behind this design:
  • The third and fourth stanza of Laurence Binyon’s poem “For the Fallen” displayed in Morse code, replicating the architecture of the walls of the Education Centre courtyard at the Shrine of Remembrance
  • A written version of the poem “For the Fallen” is also above the locker tag
  • A list of Richmond players who died serving our country is displayed on the back of the guernsey
View attachment 651810
Creative, good-looking and not a complete bastardisation of a club's traditional jumper. Checks all the boxes for me :)

Out of the ANZAC Eve/Day matches, Melbourne is the only team yet to release their jumper. With three in one day, the Dees jumper shouldn't be too far away

Anyone think there's a chance on of the other 14 teams may release an ANZAC jumper with similar intentions to the four expected jumper (raising money for the RSL, commemorating the ANZAC's of the team)

Out of the ANZAC Eve/Day matches, Melbourne is the only team yet to release their jumper. With three in one day, the Dees jumper shouldn't be too far away

Anyone think there's a chance on of the other 14 teams may release an ANZAC jumper with similar intentions to the four expected jumper (raising money for the RSL, commemorating the ANZAC's of the team)
Coulda sworn I saw something on their IG story a couple days ago that said “preorder before it’s released” regarding their ANZAC jumper.

Not entirely sure why raising money for charity via the selling of football jumpers is a bad thing, but, why do you think so?
Because very little actually goes to the charity.
It's a money spinner for the clubs

And then this bloke decided to wear his stripes the other way around:

screen-shot-2019-04-10-at-4-02-16-pm-png.651791
From the two 1919 team photos I've seen the majority of the team had them this way

Photo 1)
  • black centre stripe - 12 players
  • white centre stripes - 7 players
  • neither a black or white stripe in the centre (stripes offset) - 2 players
1554889628702.png

Photo 2) (I assume it's the grand final based on the date)
  • black centre stripe - 12 players
  • white centre stripes - 4 players
  • neither a black or white stripe in the centre (stripes offset) - 1 player
1554890100366.png

In terms of the ANZAC jumper it's a good concept and I don't mind the flat centre bar. I'd prefer the jumper to have a black centre stripe though; it's more the look we're known for and even though we had a mix of various centre stripes the black centre stripe started to again become the majority in most team photos from around 1910-11 until the progression to the next jumper style.

Last edited:
Because very little actually goes to the charity.
It's a money spinner for the clubs

Every one-off jumper is a cash-grab for clubs. In this case, rather than 100% of the profits going to the club, I'd say 85% of the profits end up at the club. If Collingwood, Essendon, Richmond (and presumably Melbourne) make $50,000 off the jumpers between them, that's still $7500 going to the RSL. And, as with all charities, every donation helps

Every one-off jumper is a cash-grab for clubs. In this case, rather than 100% of the profits going to the club, I'd say 85% of the profits end up at the club. If Collingwood, Essendon, Richmond (and presumably Melbourne) make $50,000 off the jumpers between them, that's still $7500 going to the RSL. And, as with all charities, every donation helps
anzac day exists because of terrible events and professional football clubs piggybacking off of what is supposed to be a solemn and reflective day for the country in order to make a profit is problematic. especially when retail versions of these jumpers are sold under the guise of donating that profit to the RSL, etc.

either donate the entirety of the profit or don't sell retail versions.

Coulda sworn I saw something on their IG story a couple days ago that said “preorder before it’s released” regarding their ANZAC jumper.
Screenshot_20190410-223407_Facebook.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back