Preview Round 6, 2019: St.Kilda v Adelaide - Marvel Stadium, Saturday 27th April, 4:35PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 81 81.8%
  • Crows

Votes: 18 18.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
what a fantastic opportunity for some of our younger players to really go up against some seasoned veterans. some serious talent in that adelaide side:
sloane, perkins, betts, lynch. then you get the likes of the crouch brothers, laird, atkins, talia etc.

i think the hawks and melbourne games were a line in the sand type of game. we were either going to go into contention of being a good side or be shown to be around the mark of previous seasons.

for me this game is more about a test of consistency. the good sides show moments of it. the great sides are always consistent. this is the first test of consistency, can we show as a club, that we can do what is expected of us, and come away with a win.

it will be a sign of maturity for the club to do what they need to do and win.

Resilient.

The Saints have already overcome significant hurdles to get to 4 & 1. Brown suspended. Carlisle down. Steven needing space. McCartin concussed again. Roberton heart murmur. Geary under done. Longer & Pierce injured. Acres injured. Never once did they drop their heads and quit. Just the opposite. They rose to the challenge.

Tough.

The Saints look like a hard team to play against, and I'm not talking about game plan and structure. The boys have shown a real desire to implement Billy Slater's tackling technique. Opponents are staying down longer, and often limp away from contests. And it's not just our big men doing the damage with Jack 'little axe' Lonie felling several big trees in matches so far. Matty Parker has stamped his tatts on several high profile players too. Long's ear massage on Viney in the opening minutes on Saturday a good indicator that we're up for the fight.

Prepared.

Tough question - what is the best way to gain belief? Simple answer - do the work. And the Saints have clearly done that across the entire club. The recruiters have obviously walked the extra mile to find a couple of draft diamonds, with Parker and Wilkie providing plenty of early sparkle. The new coaches have transformed the team structurally and the new game plan is maximising our strengths and minimising our weakness. The players have clearly put the miles into their legs as well, and shown they are a hard running outfit on top of a hard hitting one. Remember Melbourne had 3 full days more to recover and prepare than we did.

Determined.

The boys have been tested in every single game this year. Even Melbourne took it up to us for a quarter and a half. But you can see a real unified resoluteness in the group to work hard and overcome. The attack on the man and ball is purposive. Our defence has been unwavering. We have been undaunted by our opposition to date, and some of our more fancied opponents have looked shell shocked when confronted by the strength of our resolve. Get out of the kitchen campaigners cause the Saints are turning up the heat!

Ready.

No doubt the boys are licking their lips at the next challenge. A team we haven't beaten for a while? Bring it on. No Capitan Valiente this week? Bring. It. On. Confidence is contagious, and whilst supporters nervous systems may be more than a little frayed, the players are ready. They know the formula works, just add enegry, effort and execution. Adelaide with a FULL team you say? BRING IT ON!

We know we aren't going to win every game. But, I am now supremely confident that we are going to come out and have a real crack. We are playing like we belong in the winners circle, not like we wish we did. It's a good time to be a Saints supporter again, and I'll be damned if I'm not going to enjoy the next few weeks.

Hopefully we can win against Adelaide who I think will be blowing hard after a six day week celebrating Eddie's 300th, and then topple the Giants who we seem to match up well with. If we can do that it would mean the next two weeks we front both last years grand finalists from top spot. West Coast at home. Then the Pies at the MCG! The media will have latched on by that stage, and the underdog status will be cemented in a myriad of slow motion pregame snippets of Billings brilliance, 'Little Axe' Lonie tree felling and opponents being Parkered.

I can't fecking wait till we get there again. It's our time.

Resilient.

The Saints have already overcome significant hurdles to get to 4 & 1. Brown suspended. Carlisle down. Steven needing space. McCartin concussed again. Roberton heart murmur. Geary under done. Longer & Pierce injured. Acres injured. Never once did they drop their heads and quit. Just the opposite. They rose to the challenge.

Tough.

The Saints look like a hard team to play against, and I'm not talking about game plan and structure. The boys have shown a real desire to implement Billy Slater's tackling technique. Opponents are staying down longer, and often limp away from contests. And it's not just our big men doing the damage with Jack 'little axe' Lonie felling several big trees in matches so far. Matty Parker has stamped his tatts on several high profile players too. Long's ear massage on Viney in the opening minutes on Saturday a good indicator that we're up for the fight.

Prepared.

Tough question - what is the best way to gain belief? Simple answer - do the work. And the Saints have clearly done that across the entire club. The recruiters have obviously walked the extra mile to find a couple of draft diamonds, with Parker and Wilkie providing plenty of early sparkle. The new coaches have transformed the team structurally and the new game plan is maximising our strengths and minimising our weakness. The players have clearly put the miles into their legs as well, and shown they are a hard running outfit on top of a hard hitting one. Remember Melbourne had 3 full days more to recover and prepare than we did.

Determined.

The boys have been tested in every single game this year. Even Melbourne took it up to us for a quarter and a half. But you can see a real unified resoluteness in the group to work hard and overcome. The attack on the man and ball is purposive. Our defence has been unwavering. We have been undaunted by our opposition to date, and some of our more fancied opponents have looked shell shocked when confronted by the strength of our resolve. Get out of the kitchen campaigners cause the Saints are turning up the heat!

Ready.

No doubt the boys are licking their lips at the next challenge. A team we haven't beaten for a while? Bring it on. No Capitan Valiente this week? Bring. It. On. Confidence is contagious, and whilst supporters nervous systems may be more than a little frayed, the players are ready. They know the formula works, just add enegry, effort and execution. Adelaide with a FULL team you say? BRING IT ON!

We know we aren't going to win every game. But, I am now supremely confident that we are going to come out and have a real crack. We are playing like we belong in the winners circle, not like we wish we did. It's a good time to be a Saints supporter again, and I'll be damned if I'm not going to enjoy the next few weeks.

Hopefully we can win against Adelaide who I think will be blowing hard after a six day week celebrating Eddie's 300th, and then topple the Giants who we seem to match up well with. If we can do that it would mean the next two weeks we front both last years grand finalists from top spot. West Coast at home. Then the Pies at the MCG! The media will have latched on by that stage, and the underdog status will be cemented in a myriad of slow motion pregame snippets of Billings brilliance, 'Little Axe' Lonie tree felling and opponents being Parkered.

I can't fecking wait till we get there again. It's our time.

Love. This. Post.

what a fantastic opportunity for some of our younger players to really go up against some seasoned veterans. some serious talent in that adelaide side:
sloane, perkins, betts, lynch. then you get the likes of the crouch brothers, laird, atkins, talia etc.

i think the hawks and melbourne games were a line in the sand type of game. we were either going to go into contention of being a good side or be shown to be around the mark of previous seasons.

for me this game is more about a test of consistency. the good sides show moments of it. the great sides are always consistent. this is the first test of consistency, can we show as a club, that we can do what is expected of us, and come away with a win.

it will be a sign of maturity for the club to do what they need to do and win.
Perkins?

As in the Cruel Sea frontman?

Don’t think it will happen .
Marsh was ok ..still needs games in my opinion, but will say he will be handy with his speed long term .

Think it will be McKenzie prefer White only because of playing this week .

Hind was ok ...but didn’t play as well today .

Clark & Dunstan were only others that played ok , really don’t get the Rowe playing key forward for periods
today..waste of time.
Provide a contest get the ball to ground so Young and Co can crumb the ball.

Gears for Clark or Hind. Paton starting back and gives us some more run off half back. Webster to Betts, Paton to Knight.

They are lacking badly in good tall backs. Showed even against Suns where 2MP was actually dominant with no supply. Once you take out Aitkins and Smith they have no drive or speed whatsoever. If we get Hind in, I’m comfortable we outrun them all day.

Bruce + Members should run riot with Marshall drifting forward or defensively if Jenkins is in.

There is no hope of that happening
Why do people want to play people out of position when we are winning?? Surely everyone realises that for every position on the ground there is a replacement player for that exact position perfecting his role at Sandy. Names are irrelevant it’s Soldier for soldier.

Hello, there's definitely a better place to post this but I cannot see where sorry.

I recently moved into Seaford right near 'Linen House' which says 'Home of the St. Kilda FC'. I actually thought you moved back into Moorabbin recently?

Just wondering if you have a club shop there, still train there or still do anything at the location? Would be cool to help out/check out the local club in some way.

Cheers and please best Adelaide, I hate their arrogance. There's something toxic going on at the Crows and you guys are on the way up!

Surely everyone realises that for every position on the ground there is a replacement player for that exact position perfecting his role at Sandy.

That's an interesting point. I think it applies to every position except tall forward. Not sure what we'll do if Bruce or Membrey miss games - they're super important to our structure.

That's an interesting point. I think it applies to every position except tall forward. Not sure what we'll do if Bruce or Membrey miss games - they're super important to our structure.
Yes exactly. If one of them go down it will hurt us most. Joyce would come in and Battle would move forward. Or if it’s later in the season Winx (Max King) can jump out of the gate 😉

Can’t wait to see that kid play

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes exactly. If one of them go down it will hurt us most. Joyce would come in and Battle would move forward. Or if it’s later in the season Winx (Max King) can jump out of the gate

Can’t wait to see that kid play
Yes looking forward to it.

Just a couple of things.

He is 18 so still developing.

He is a rare quality but hasn't had a preseason and has not much of a tank.

Look at our forwards like Kent, Parker, Bruce, and Long, all have big tanks and our defensive structure demands our players stream back than push forward like blazes.I dont know King can do that yet.

Must admit, adding Carlisle, Hanners and Winx to the seniors is a nice thought though.

Current TAB odds

Saints $1.90
Crows $1.90

Sorry, have i missed something?

I mean, i know the odds mean nothing (we were $2.80 odd against the dees) but seriously, how can this be an even money contest on exposed form?

At some stage they'll stop laying odds and picking winners using last year's form i suppose.
When will people realise that bookies odds have nothing to do with " what they think the result will be". Bookies odds reflect where the money is going, they use the odds to manage their financial outcome so that as a rule, they get their 5% whoever wins.

serious question... why is their supporter base so damn racist! even this post is racist "white guys usually". are they as a supporter base incapable of leaving racism out of it?

no wonder they have the issues they have at their ground when a gentle tongue in cheek kind of a post even has racism in it!

they would have to be the most racist supporter base of any club!!!

I can put up with your confidence about the upcoming contest - it's probably justified! - and I can even understand lingering resentment over 1997, but your comment about racist behaviour is just a cheap shot at a few poorly chosen words from one poster.

I can put up with your confidence about the upcoming contest - it's probably justified! - and I can even understand lingering resentment over 1997, but your comment about racist behaviour is just a cheap shot at a few poorly chosen words from one poster.

Only a racist would bother to refute it. Run along back to 4chan with your backwards ideas, your power is about to go out. Go make us some wine you feral serfs, it will stop you shoving your friends into barrels.

Only a racist would bother to refute it. Run along back to 4chan with your backwards ideas, your power is about to go out. Go make us some wine you feral serfs, it will stop you shoving your friends into barrels.

Charming. Don't bother replying, I won't bother visiting again and, therefore, won't read it.

You weren't asked for your opinion so take a hike.

I mean... he’s not entirely wrong (not the Saints part). There are often one or two teams who burst out of the blocks then wane as the season goes on, North last year for example, or even us in 2015. The only thing that will settle whether that is us or not is time. That being said, I would much rather open the season like we have rather than like the Crows did. And we are looking well organised on the field, as the commentators said during the Dees game, it’s our system that’s winning, not motivation or individual acts of brilliance.

Where he is wrong though is the assertion that starting from behind usually means you lap the other players. That doesn’t work in footy, the premiership teams are usually consistent all year through. Like the Swans starting 0-6 then making it to finals but being pulverised in the first final.

Just like Richmond jumped out of the blocks and never looked back in the 2017 GF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back