Preview Round 6, 2019: St.Kilda v Adelaide - Marvel Stadium, Saturday 27th April, 4:35PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 81 81.8%
  • Crows

Votes: 18 18.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah nah- the backline has been 'messed with' plenty this year.

Dmac, gears, joyce, paton, brown all been in and out without detriment.

Joyce has shown he could comfortably slot into battles spot without diminishing our defence.

Battle himself has been a useful cog in the machine- but hardly a key factor in the same way as say wilkie, gears, savage have been.

Wow, I have had Battle as a major factor in our ability to look solid down back with out Carlisle. He spoils really well and has great closing speed/ endurance. He's almost so competent that he gets over looked. Looks like he's been there for 10 years, he reminds me of the Wakelins.

This is dumb but I'm feeling confident about this one. Maybe I've been drinking the bathwater but if we play the way we've been playing then I don't really see how we lose. Adelaide's midfield is very solid but no better than the Dees. They're good off half-back but we have some pretty solid defensive forwards in the side. I think we have a couple of good options for each of Betts, Walker and Lynch, and the rest of their forward line isn't scary.

Have I lost it? Someone talk me down.

Think this place has become way too confident as the week has gone on. The Crows aren’t in form and we are coming off a good win. But, although we won by 40 last week, both teams had 20 scores and the crows are a seasoned team with some serious talent. Hopefully we get up, but think it will be close.

The crows are better than they’ve been playing most of the year and we still don’t know for sure if we are more than a flash in the pan...

Very nervous about this one personally. Especially now we are expected to win.

Any report from training today besides coopers one that everyone's sore?

Heard Steele say he’s got tendinitis in his achilles, had his whole calf strapped up. Said he’s right though, trained with the main group.

King training with the main group was great to see. His agility is something else.

Hanners running half laps and doing light ball work.

Skunk addressed the players at one point in a huddle before the main session. Heard bits and pieces.

Derm the Germ was working with both the forwards and backs. Dixon still doing goal kicking.

I reckon DMac will come in for Gears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heard Steele say he’s got tendinitis in his achilles, had his whole calf strapped up. Said he’s right though, trained with the main group.

King training with the main group was great to see. His agility is something else.

Skunk addressed the players at one point in a huddle before the main session. Heard bits and pieces.

Derm the Germ was working with both the forwards and backs. Dixon still doing goal kicking.

Tendinitis does not sound good at all, he’s one we really don’t want to lose.

Great news for Winx though 👍👍

Tendinitis does not sound good at all, he’s one we really don’t want to lose.

Great news for Winx though 👍👍

I get it in my achilles and have for years, it never stopped me playing sport, it tends to warm up as you move and you feel it worse the next day.

Apart from game plan tweaks and personnel changes, the biggest factor this year IMO, the the team ethos and comeraderie that has been nurtured.

The boys are playing for each other and having fun in the process.

They have taken it upon themselves to atone and following through.

Coaching changes and influence has also made a huge difference.

Point is that as long as they continue to play like this, we will be competitive in every game.

Then it comes down to how well the opposition allows us to play.

Huh??

Melbourne made a preliminary final last year and Hawthorn finished in the top four.

This isn't directed at you, but I find it funny when other teams win games we just take it on face value but when we win games there's always a 'BUT'...

We beat Gold Coast BUT they are bottom four so it doesn't count.
We beat Essendon BUT they were in poor form so it doesn't count.
We beat Hawthorn BUT they had a heap of injuries so it doesn't count.

Well Gold Coast are better than people expected, Essendon on their day can beat anyone, and we had just as many injuries as Hawthorn did.

And now people think we won't beat Adelaide because we haven't beaten them for 7 years and they are an experienced team? How's that relevant?

Always some excuse at St.Kilda...we've won the games, fair and square. No ifs or buts. And if we win on Saturday it won't be because Adelaide "are on the decline" or "dont travel well" or whatever the case may be. It'll be because we beat them.

I think a few of us are a bit gun shy after last year and don't want to get too far head.

Understandable.

Deep down we are all hopefull of smashing them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How good is it actually looking forward to going to the footy again

Win - Lose or Draw play with the effort we have so far this year we will do ok

F##k Lose or Draw just WIN

If Bruce can't make it. Longer in, Marshall FF.

Otherwise Joyce CHB, Battle FF.
Surely we do Longer and Marshall if Bruce can't get up. Especially with their crap ruck situation and Marshall's great hands.

I feel like we've got the game plan and tactical nous this year to shut Adelaide down.

Hawthorn have had the wood on them in recent years, so Ratts already knew what it took to beat them, but it seems common knowledge now how to shut them down, so unless they've found a new way to play all of a sudden, hopefully we'll be all over them.

Stopping their ball movement from defence seems key, and our defensive structures behind the ball this year have been outstanding, and Milera out is also a big loss for them.

Yes they beat us comfortably last year, but I'd suggest the timing of that game was important.

We were coming off that debacle on Good Friday against North that is said to have derailed our season, while they were just 3 games off playing in a GF and had just beaten Richmond by 6 goals the week before, so they would have still believed they were a seriously good team, which is half the battle.

The wheels have fallen off them to a fair degree since then, so I doubt they still have that confidence, while ours would now be skyrocketing.

If we're in any way complacent we're likely to lose though, so we need to come to play and be super-hungry for the hunt still.

Surely we do Longer and Marshall if Bruce can't get up. Especially with their crap ruck situation and Marshall's great hands.
I'm very comfortable with how Roma goes up forward and reckon it could be an ideal time to play him there while his confidence is up, and I'd be keen to see how our midfield goes with good service from Billy, against someone who is not renowned for their ruckwork and who isn't likely to hurt him around the ground.

Battle forward and Joyce back in could definitely also work tho. Battle with his endurance is prolly an ideal match-up for Lynch tho.

Last edited:
You pumped mate?

Good see one of our most disillusioned fans up and about.
Still too scared to admit to myself we are a very good chance to beat the crows

Haven't seen a Saints team play with such good structures and game plan for many years, watching the Melbourne game live I hadn't seen those things done so well for along time

Most of all I love the players effort and how they are actually smiling and enjoying their footy

Marshall has proven he can play up forward and can do a job if he is on. He can also swing back, if its needed.

Longer is useless around the ground but he can create space for our mids, can be a good tap at times, can lay a odd tackle here and there.

It's only for couple of weeks before Bruce returns.

Marshall has proven he can play up forward and can do a job if he is on. He can also swing back, if its needed.

Longer is useless around the ground but he can create space for our mids, can be a good tap at times, can lay a odd tackle here and there.

It's only for couple of weeks before Bruce returns.
Why is Bruce out ? What have I missed

Was Bruce training ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back