Autopsy Round 6, 2019: St.Kilda v Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

No Geary.
No Marshall.
Lonie out midway through.
Bruce very sore.

In a game where both teams were paying 1.90, that'll be the difference.

It's no disaster. It's just football. Reload for next week.

Didn’t Long get some sort of shoulder injury too? He certainly went out of the game.

See that's a classic "haters" comment - you say he's not rated and then say he produced a poor performance even though he got more possessions, marks etc than his career averages. He was OK.

Most peoples comments about Longer on here are more about what they want him to be rather than what he actually is.

Thats a bit like the love for Acres. Misguided!!!

Totally agree on Acres. But people commenting about Longer being "what they want him to be rather than what he actually is" - I mean, yeah. They want him to be a good ruckman who makes our team better but he's not that. Isn't every comment on here about what we want the team to be not what it actually is?

I reckon Marshall kills a contest where Billy seemed to tap to Adelaide's advantage more often than not.
There was one in the 2nd quarter when he won the hitout. Defensive 50 towards Crows goal into open play. Just dumb football. No point putting games into him if he hasn't got that at this stage of his career...

Exactly, I've been as big a fan of Roma as anyone, and he was terrific the 3 other games he played this year, but it's a massive cop-out to blame Longer for our inability to win clearances yesterday, when the week before we got beaten much more comprehensively in the ruck (much bigger discrepancy in hitouts to advantage), yet won the clearances, against a similarly strong inside brigade.

Our inside group just didn't show up to play yesterday, especially in the 2nd half, when they lost the first 11 clearances.

It would have helped if Billy was as competitive in the ruck contests as he generally was in 2017 (or in particular as good as he was there against Gold Coast last year), but the fact he's wasn't didn't stop the inside group from doing what they did last week, when we were beaten much more comprehensively in the ruck.

So much this.

We got smashed and was a parade from them.

Lose that battle and everything else goes to s**t either side of the arcs.

All the bagging of longer FWIW is just pathetic. We know where he's at someone we just have to sucknit up.

If anything he played to his capacity, which is more than can be said of our golden children on here.

So much this.

All the bagging of longer FWIW is just pathetic. We know where he's at someone we just have to sucknit up.

If anything he played to his capacity, which is more than can be said of our golden children on here.
Kent ? asking for a friend

So much this.

Yep, good post. It's also worth considering that Longer had only had a couple of games after a fairly long lay off. If Marshall hadn't been unavailable I would have thought the selection committee would have like him to have another week or two in the twos to get to full fitness.
I'm not Billy's biggest fan but thought he did OK, without being great.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hickey vs Stanley.

Combined for

46 touches
62 hitouts
17 clearances
11 marks
8 tackles
2 goals

That is absolutely dripping with irony after big bills performance yesterday. :thumbsu:
Isn't that Marshall's average this season

Lo
Yep, good post. It's also worth considering that Longer had only had a couple of games after a fairly long lay off. If Marshall hadn't been unavailable I would have thought the selection committee would have like him to have another week or two in the twos to get to full fitness.
I'm not Billy's biggest fan but thought he did OK, without being great.
Longer would be desperate to perform knowing this year is his last roll of the dice and as I have mentioned on here , Longer had above career stats in the Crows game - he took 5 marks which is more than double his average , slightly more possessions and about the average for hit outs.
He is a fill in for Marshall , but by the slight improvement in his stats there might be life in the old dog yet - but it's Marshall daylight then Longer at this stage.
Let's see if he keeps improving at Sandy and if he does I wouldn't cast him off yet.
He did get to do some preseason so his fitness should be there , if he can't do the around the ground stuff he will have to do a Mummy and smash a few people during the game.

But he will only be a back up on his current form.

Finally rewatched the game. We didnt look like the team from round 1 to 5, reminded me of 2018 saints at times.

- Inaccurate kicking, this will always cost us games and momentums.
- Our pressure started well, then I'm not sure where it went.
- Injuries didn't help, Undone Longer and Bruce should've been rested. Lonie injured, Long also having issue, add Bruce, that surely doesn't help our forwardline.

Props to Battle and Parker, they career wont even combine to 20 games, but both tried their best imo. Steele did his job.

It was a good reality check for the club including the fans.

Longer actually had the second-most marks he's ever had in a game of AFL footy - 5. (His one bigger game was against Essendon in 2015 when we won by 110 points.)

Despite that he still only had 10 touches and zero impact.
He actually had a negative impact. Never again

That's like saying our last one was Mc Evoy because technically he's midfielder and he's won matches for the Hawks. It's technically correct but not really an answer to the question. They haven't proven themselves to be match winning midfielders, they are match winners who have moved to the midfield. Billings you could count on two fingers the amount of times he's won us matches and in the last few years probably kicked us out of more than he won for us.

Gresham has had some huge games where his goal sense has been the difference between us winning and losing plenty of close games. He's gone from a match winner small forward to a developing mid that wouldn't be in the best midfield of most other top 8 sides.

Why would I not want other it, I want to hear it if it's a fact. You sound like Trump.
Macevoy does not play for St.Kilda.

Doesn't matter how much you spin it, the question was who were the last midfielders we developed that were matchwinners.

Doesnt matter where they were playing. They have been developed as midfielders.

Are you denying they are midfielders that have been developed to play midfield?

Are you denying that they are match winners?

If so, I'm sorry you are just peddling some weird alternate reality agenda.

Oh BTW, the Trump reference is a typical tactic of yours when you have nothing except to attack the poster.

Argue the point dont get personal just because you didnt like the truth.

Finally rewatched the game. We didnt look like the team from round 1 to 5, reminded me of 2018 saints at times.

- Inaccurate kicking, this will always cost us games and momentums.
- Our pressure started well, then I'm not sure where it went.
- Injuries didn't help, Undone Longer and Bruce should've been rested. Lonie injured, Long also having issue, add Bruce, that surely doesn't help our forwardline.

Props to Battle and Parker, they career wont even combine to 20 games, but both tried their best imo. Steele did his job.

It was a good reality check for the club including the fans.
Having no effective talks killed us.
Crows controlled the marking contest

Jesus I'm shocked and appalled that our backup ruck wasn't as good as our first choice who couldn't play.
I hope that when most of the team gets dysentery and Langlands has to play, he's as good as Jack Steven.

I agree that Bruce was a bad decision, he's no good without his running game.
Battle has been amazing in the Backline, but he can still play as a forward, and we had Joyce and Marsh both ready for their chance.

Serious?

We made him an offer last year.

Don't mind the banter but let's have some facts please.

nanganator ?
Along with several other clubs, yes. But he didn't want to leave WB, he was signing with them the minute they offered him a 1 year deal, which will become a cashed up 3 years + by the end of this season on his form. Was never a serious chance to leave in the end.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back