Review Round 6, 2020 - Brisbane Lions vs. Geelong

Who were your five best players against Geelong?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

-82 disposals
-30 marks
-6 clearances
+4 inside 50s
conversion: brisbane = 38% / geelong = 61%

We've got a while now to decompress, break down what went wrong and keep moving forward.

GWS will be a big test for us. Hope the damage from injuries wasn't too much

Effort dropped in the second half and then the structures completely broke down. From one of our best quarters in recent times last week to one of our worst tonight.

Berry lead the way with the most contested possessions

As much as I like the more damaging Neale we needed him to win some clearances in that third term. Maybe a better balance is still to be found.

Not great in disposal this evening, though.

Reminiscent of that Collingwood game last year. I think we continue to forget we are still a young side, and are our own harshest critics and rightly so with our higher expectations. It sounds weird but i do feel like it is a loss we needed to have. After being touted as premiership favourites, i think it just brings the boys back to earth a little bit (although i’m sure fages and co. do their best to prevent them from getting their heads too big). Oh well on to next week against the gnats

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Great first half of really tough footy, they came at us from the get go and we weathered the storm to put a few on the board.

We simply just didn't come out after half-time though, that 3rd quarter was seriously impressive by the Cats. They tore us up and gave us a lesson and honestly this was a great lesson for us to have and won't be the last one for us on the way to a premiership.

Thought we did a good job to actually stop the bleeding towards the end of the 3rd and then battled hard in the fourth to not get blown out.

Hopefully we respond against GWS though, I'll be more disappointed if we get smacked next week.
We also should have established a 5-6 goal lead heading into half time, but got ahead of ourselves, missed the usual easy shots and thought it would just click into gear or someone else would do it.

A few guys should be dropped for next week.

Well beaten in ruck. Bullied at the fall of the ball. Chasing bodies. Disappointing as we are better than that effort. Cat's players give me the absolute shits with the way they throw their arms at a the slightest opportunity. Umps allowed them to mess with the ball when we had frees. A number of 50's missed for us. Geelong better on the day.

Believed our own hype.

What is this based on? We started the game pretty well. Were doing the hard stuff. Are you suggesting we suddenly started believing the hype at half time despite Geelong finishing that quarter with momentum.

Did they suddenly turn AFL360 in the change rooms and say “s**t, Robbo said we are awesome... Put your feet up boys. Mission accomplished.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well that definitely Wasn't our night. Credit to Geelong, though, they were super clean on a night when we made it look like the ball was covered in oil.

Don't think this was lost by any one player but it's A bit unfortunate that our worst players were among our most experienced. Birch had a shocker, while Harris played his normal quality defence he had one of the worst games with the ball I can remember, and our midfield with the exception of zorko was just completely out played. That was what most surprised me - we normally aren't so thoroughly smashed through the contest.

Our kicking is getting to Be a very real issue. I don't know what needs to change but we really can't keep kicking with this level of inaccuracy when the rest of the comp is hitting more than half their shots at goal between the big posts. Also getting a bit worried about Charlie, with the exception of his snaps he looks like he's Getting a bit carried away with all eyes being on him and trying to think of the spectacular rather than playing Organically.

In the end the scoreboard flattered us. Maybe it wouldn't have been So one sided if we'd Taken advantage of our momentum in the second quarter but we really just played a shocker as a team while the cats played a blinder. Will need to lift next week to bounce back against a much more intimidating giants team

8.3 - 2.2 after H/T. Im hoping a fair bit of the blame goes to the 5 day break and travelling. We seriously looked out on our feet late in the second.

I also think tonight we miss having someone like CEY who can turn the tide in the middle.

Bad match ups in our backline didn't help too.

Rayner, Neale, Rich, Lyons, Clugga

What is this based on? We started the game pretty well. Were doing the hard stuff. Are you suggesting we suddenly started believing the hype at half time despite Geelong finishing that quarter with momentum.

Did they suddenly turn AFL360 in the change rooms and say “sh*t, Robbo said we are awesome... Put your feet up boys. Mission accomplished.”

Who doesn't watch 360 at half time?!?

We won the first quarter by 2 points, the second by 8 points and the last by 7 points.

And still lost by nearly 5 goals

These third quarters are undoubtedly a problem but they would be less of a problem if we could convert our periods of dominance in the first half instead of keeping the opposition in the game with shyte kicking for goal

Strange game not quite sure what to think yet. Was it getting ahead ourselves again and choking on the big stage? Coaching and some maybe not great selections. Lester on Rohan looked bad. Or are we just tired and should have rested a few more players. The two ruck choice looked poor again. It wasn't totally the forward fault but there were a lot of passengers up there who looked uninterested. Not many of them got up the ground and got involved (again is that coaching or mental lack of effort). And then the goal kicking across the whole team is bad. Worst in the league I think right now

Hopefully it's a learning experience but I worry that we have had a few of those and yet we still choke on the big stage.

Maybe I'll just think if the positives for the end. Ah Chee played well with a lot of effort. Rayner was impacting all over the ground. Berry was throwing him at the contest and then Neales goal was sublime

The most frustrating game I've seen since Richmond at the G last.. bring on next week.

Poor forward entries and goal kicking. There was a lot of pressure out there and we didn't cope for a quarter and a half. Game lost. There were quite a few passengers tonight as well.
I am worried about our match committee's hesitancy to bring our younger players into the team. You can't play both Lester and Birchall against good teams. I would drop Birchall and bring in a faster player. McCarthy needs a rest as well.

Playing like rock stars in the second started it.

Berry being selfish and surely not doing the team thing and it was from that very point that the whole thing went to crap and the scoreboard shows it did.

Back