Review Round 6, 2020 - Brisbane Lions vs. Geelong

Who were your five best players against Geelong?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, that was disappointing.

Not sure what was up with Stef tonight. We were clearly not favouring him in the first two thirds and then he woke up a bit at the end, but, yeah, that was not a good game from him and I'm not sure what was up there. Birchall was also not great. I don't think we can afford two fulltime rucks and I don't think we can carry Birchall playing like that.

Votes for Neale. Not his best game but, I mean, who else can I give votes for. Rayner was really good, fantastic game from him especially coming back sore. Ah Chee played a great game, good to see. McCluggage I definitely owe a vote and he was good again, especially hampered. And then... going to give my last vote to Lyons I guess.

We need to learn some lessons from this.

Aug 17, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
16 scoring shots to 18. We played the worst we have in about 2 years and Geelong managed to beat us purely through ridiculous accuracy. Tough game, learn the lessons and move on..McCarthy surely on thin ice.

Neale, Rayner, Berry, McCluggage and Ah Chee were our best I reckon. Both our rucks were ineffectual mostly.

How about the flopping and pleading to the umpires by Geelong though. Genuinely embarrassing.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
How we back up against the Giants now is crucial, not too worried about tonight although 2 in a row like tonight would be a concern.

Fab/ok 4 Zorko, Neale, McCluggae, Rayner.

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
People blaming the forwards... yeah dunno about that.

We got pounded around the ground and can think of very few clean forward entries in the 2nd-4th Quarters.

The collective head drop was obvious shortly into the third, and the work rate dropped off sharply with it.

Learn the lesson boys.

Great first half of really tough footy, they came at us from the get go and we weathered the storm to put a few on the board.

We simply just didn't come out after half-time though, that 3rd quarter was seriously impressive by the Cats. They tore us up and gave us a lesson and honestly this was a great lesson for us to have and won't be the last one for us on the way to a premiership.

Thought we did a good job to actually stop the bleeding towards the end of the 3rd and then battled hard in the fourth to not get blown out.

Hopefully we respond against GWS though, I'll be more disappointed if we get smacked next week.

FLVanLandingham

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We Came, We Lost, We... Learned? hopefully

momentum is a hell of a drug. so is a well coached team with a good game-plan ;)

I gave votes to Neale, Rayner, Lyons, McCluggage, and Ah Chee.

At least now the media won't be gushing, but the backpedaling and hand-wringing will be annoying as hell.

Sausages

HIGH PRIEST IN THE TEMPLE OF GG/SNSD
Feb 27, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Luton Town
Yep, we got pantsed tonight - learn from it and move on. Whilst we aren't a team of kids anymore, we aren't flush with guys who've dome 10 pre-seasons. CEY woulda been handy tonight.

But, it's just 1 game - we can't let it define the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So we won three quarters and still lost.:thumbsdown:
A combination of running out of legs and getting sucked in to playing out of structure. Definitely not a great effort.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Had no answers for Danger and Selwood in that third term and they made us pay with some very efficient footy.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Insipid.

Believed our own hype, which is beyond staggering given how poor we were in the finals series.

Too many players are bruise free footballers who just don't want to do the hard work when its their turn.

There's also quite a few players that looked very tired or are carrying injuries including Rich, Birchall, Lester, Gardiner, Martin to name a few.

Mar 20, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Looked tired from the second, flat footed and undersized, chasing tail, easy to tackle, without the speed got rag dolled too often, so many errors and lead up forwards??? We had a mare, they had a mare against Carlton, at their home ground. When they stepped up a gear we red-lined, happens. Also I know Danger gets a bit of heat on here but was pleased to see him chatting with Rayner (who ran with him for a while) after the game, nice touch.

Look back at basically every premiership of the last 20 years. Everyone has copped a loss like this. Look at Geelong in 07' who had two terrible performances then went on to dominate. Hawks had their issues too. The best teams learn from it and bounce back.

11 days is a quality period of time to hit reset and bounce back. Let's back our boys in.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Berry lead the way with the most contested possessions

As much as I like the more damaging Neale we needed him to win some clearances in that third term. Maybe a better balance is still to be found.

May 26, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
From about half way through the second quarter, we were pretty poor at applying pressure in the forward half (both midfielders and forwards) and getting repeat entries. The ball was entering shallow into the forward 50 and Geelong were able to get it out far too easily.

Midfield got absolutely smashed in that third quarter. Reminiscent of what we did to Port in the second quarter last week. Martin and Oscar were especially poor as well. Geelong are field part timers, and our pair were easily neutralised and well beaten.

Back