Review Round 6, 2020 - Brisbane Lions vs. Geelong

Who were your five best players against Geelong?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

StevoJenkins

The Weekend Worker
Sep 4, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
AFL
Anyone catch Bruce saying that Ablett is done, got me really pumped up thinking that's it we have finished this guy off, we've ended his career. Next quarter the guy has set up a few goals and kicked 2 from outside fifty.

Pretty sure Ablett has said this is his last season. His manager said it last year and he himself hinted at it after his game with the Suns last week.

FLVanLandingham

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
And afine to Birchall on Selwood..

Irrational me was hoping for a charge on Selwood too for that swinging closed fist. But I think it bounced up off Birchall's arm?

Personally I hoped there would have been a team-wide charge of excessive whinging and general annoyance... but I guess that's too much to ask for.

After some time to digest, coupled with some stats others have posted - it genuinely feels like the type of loss a young team would have against a supremely experienced team - covering 45km less than usual seems a likely result of a five day break - something our list is not used to. Compare that to the 28 year old, 140 game (Ave) Cats who were extremely physical and it seems pretty clear we couldn't handle the physicality and the running required in such a short turnaround. Reflecting on how we played - we were using the corridor and putting in a lot of fast play early in the game and no doubt spent our tickets assuming we'd cover our usual kilometres.

Some things you just can't get good at without experience and this is one of them - very fortunate to get that lesson - who knows if we'll win the next game following a five day break, but we will be infinitely more prepared.

AFLQLD

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
There are other teams?
Christensen is okay but not consistent and only really applies pressure within a 10 metre radius. Outside of that he just cruises around too much. For me that attitude is at odds with the mindset we are trying to develop.

For me I would play Coleman who is a true small forward and is a great deliverer of the ball into the forward 50. I would still pick Berry Jnr and give him a bit more mid time without Mitch. Berry Snr onball most of the time addresses size issues and Zorko to get more wing time in Mitch Robbo's absence as well.

I tend to think Coleman is ready. He will take a few games to find the pace of the game but he has some excellent attributes as a small forward.

A

Are you serious???? This club and all that make it up supporters, admin, players and past players are the most special and stoic bunch you can hope to meet. We mock adversity and when we again rise to the top we will hunt as one and feast upon the carcasses of those who have betrayed us and or been too soft to see it through. Now drink your cup of concrete and Harden up mate because our boys/ club need us to stick fat and ride through some challenges as our cubs grow, learn and develop to rise up again.

I'm guessing you didn't mean to quote my post????

I prefer association is not causation but what was the cause of that swing?
The thing is - and the swing in momentum clearly happened after that miss - but I think it was fair enough for him to make the shot. In the clear, on the run, free players weren't in particularly substantially more favourable positions. Unfortunately it didn't work, but I don't think he was being irresponsible or selfish to take the shot.

Lions Flag 2020

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think the new holding the ball spooked our intent last night hence why we lost contested possession. Too much hanging back.
Also, we were a bit fumbly and got punished turning the ball over.

Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
Yes Starcevich's kick was a shocker. My dog jumped of the couch and out the front door when I reacted but he is still learning his craft and pressure games like this is where he will do just that. He has heaps of upside. Let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater just yet.

I'm pleased your dog is still learning his craft

I'm sure with more big match experience, he'll maintain his composure on the couch. :D ;);)

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Don't want to overreact over one loss or be alarmist.... BUT......

If the Saints win by more than 26(ish), the Suns win by more than 35(ish), Essendon win by more than 24(ish), GWS win by more than 41(ish), and the Bulldogs win by more than 48(ish), then we'll be 8TH at the end of the round!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'm prepared to write off last night's game.

We were just overcooked after building ourselves up for PA and kept the flame burning for 30 minutes until we hit the emotional and physical brick wall and quickly realised we had nothing left. Which made it worse. On a tin pot crap ground where you really can't do anything but outslug your opposition.

We'll realise like we did in 1999 that you just have to toughen up and be meaner and stronger than your opposition if you want the ultimate success . In footy the bully usually wins.

One thing I didn't like was a couple of our players ( no names ) who were having a friendly chat and half a laugh with their opponents as they lined up for the 3rd quarter . Maybe reading the paper about how good you are makes you think you can walk on water.

Is this the first time that Rayner has polled the most votes?
Round 4, 2018 against Richmond is the only time to date that Rayner has polled 5 votes.

May 5, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I don't know who you're thinking of that was free in the goal square. Reviewing the game I was wrong - it wasn't Charlie there, it was McCarthy (not in the shot below) but he was definitely not open. McCluggage is the one people are complaining about because he had his arms out demanding a handball just prior to this shot, so it seems easy to blame the results. I'm not going to get my knickers in a twist over Berry having this shot instead of handballing it given every disposal introduces a chance of a t
Bruce is popular on this board, isn't he?
Do you think?

Pacman82

Premiership Player
Oct 24, 2011
Earth
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
SMFC | Celtics
He must go good in colder weather, it was a nightmare in the stands that day weather wise as well

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Don't want to overreact over one loss or be alarmist.... BUT......

If the Saints win by more than 26(ish), the Suns win by more than 35(ish), Essendon win by more than 24(ish), GWS win by more than 41(ish), and the Bulldogs win by more than 48(ish), then we'll be 8TH at the end of the round!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I used to be a betting man in my younger years but not any more.
I am sure a multi bet on all you mentioned could have you living in comfort for some time if successful.

Back