Preview Round 6, 2020: Collingwood v Hawthorn, 10 July 2020, 7.50pm @ Giants Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrzohs

Premiership Player
Oct 9, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I thought the structure and attitude was good, just horrible skills and decision making killed us.
It’s a worry given we are not a young side and outside Jones & Scrimshaw a very experienced team, Scrimshaw has been one of our best players so no excuses. The fwd line is horribly out of sync throw in the wingers having limited impact due to restricted quarters we think, hopefully they come into there own as fatigue kicks in during the season.

- Def Keep Sic as the 3rd tall but play Hartley or Tob as the true chb.
- Perfect time to rotate Mcevoy in the Ruck with Collingwood small fwd line and Grundy
- The Fwd line needs a shake up missing Breust only complicates where to play Chad we need 2x. Gunston has to stay fwd in Bruest absence.

Fb: Stratts, Frawley, Hardwick
HB: Sicily, Hartley, Scrimshaw (if Scrim injured - Glass or Cj)
C: Scully, Mitch, Smith
HF: Chad, Cegs , Shiels
F: Silk, Patton,Gunston
R: Mcevoy, Jom, Worps.

Ic: Jones,Hendo (Nash,Finn,Cousins,Morrison,Walker,Jekka)

Selection out - Tob,Lewis,Poppy
Firing line- Cegs,Hendo.

Any updates on Walker & Jek?missing some x factor up fwd

Hawthorn are the only team in the competition that still hasn’t played Adelaide, Fremantle, Carlton, Essendon, Melbourne and Sydney. There’s some winnable games right there.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
God forbid we would play Gunston at FF... I love him as a leading forward. I guess the game has moved on since i made that wish.

And as our only option they sit 3 players on him. 1 in front, 1 behind, and 1 hanging on to his jumper every time the umpire looks away.

Plus, Gunston's strength is his versatility. We dont want him sitting in the goal square. We need him roaming the ground losing his tag.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Hawthorn are the only team in the competition that still hasn’t played Adelaide, Fremantle, Carlton, Essendon, Melbourne and Sydney. There’s some winnable games right there.

Supposing we cure the good week, bad week habit and win those, thats 9 wins. Another two from Gold Coast Collingwood Port Adelaide StKilda Bulldogs Eagles
and its 11 and right in the thick of it

Still have games against Gold Coast, St Kilda and Port Adelaide. After this weeks game against Collingwood, only the Bulldogs and Essendon to play among last years top eight teams.

burner1

Premiership Player
Nov 3, 2005
victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
hawks
Appears they’ll be two forced changes in Lewis and scrimshaw. But a lot of players (Puopolo, hendo, ceglar, Scully, TOB) should be worried about their spot but some will likely stay in. Unclear if shiels will be out.

BB doesn’t have a match up down back and we looked better with him in ruck. Will scrim likely out there’s potentially two spots available in the backline.

Impey can’t come back quick enough (but is prob a few weeks).Is CJ ready? I would like to see Day but think may be a little light for HB (but maybe on wing?). Glass sounds like one of better performers in scratch matches and can play HB or wing. Not sold on Morrison coming back - would rather another look at glass.

Thought jones did enough to get another week. If shiels is out Finn could get a chance. The bigger issue is on the wings with hendo well down.

Nash/Minch/Moore/Morris need a shot up forward as no point playing a cooked Puopolo. Sounds like Nash needs some more scratch matches and Morris may be the best long term but is behind a few. If minch can’t get a game now why is he on the list? Silk looked like needs a rest. TOB was putrid (and Lewis not much better) but with Patton coming in TOB is unlikely to go out.

What I’d like to see:
Out: scrim (inj) Lewis (inj), ceglar, Puopolo, hendo
In: glass, Patton, CJ, minch, day
If shiels is injured Finn comes in.

What Clarko will do - ins: Patton and Morrison.

madhawksfan

Premiership Player
May 12, 2010
Canberra
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hopefully we bounce back in a similar fashion to how we did following the Cats game. We were soft last night and got beaten by a more physical side who executed their game plan very well.

Not sure what happened to our defence but they looked all at sea and got schooled by their talls. Hopefully that is the last we see of McEvoy in defence.

As others have said, Lewis and Scrimmers will miss and I’d give Hendo or Scully a spell (unless Shiels doesn’t come up). Time to give some more youngsters a go.

Ins: CJ (Scrimmers) Finn (Hendo/Scully) and Hartley (Lewis)

Too risky to play Patton on that cow paddock.

Stratton Chip Dimma
Sicily Hartley Frost
Smith Mitch Scully/Hendo
Wingz Timmy Gunner
Poppy McEvoy Silk
Cegs Jaeger Worps
Shiels Finn Jones CJ

hawkheart

Club Legend
Jun 27, 2007
your mind
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Coventry FC
Still have games against Gold Coast, St Kilda and Port Adelaide. After this weeks game against Collingwood, only the Bulldogs and Essendon to play among last years top eight teams.
I hate to say it, but perhaps after 5 rounds it's more relevant to note that we have yet to play 5 of the current Top 8...

4THAWN

Club Legend
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Well I wouldn't be too surprised to see a decent number of changes, with Lewis/Scrimshaw looking very likely to be out with injury and Shiels also a chance of not getting up.

OUT: Lewis (Hamstring), Scrimshaw (Ankle), Shiels (Whatever happened to him), Puopolo (Omitted)

IN: Patton, Cousins, CJ, Minchington

I've always been one to defend Cegs and TOB, but both of them are now very close to being dropped imo. If Jeka hadn't been drafted less than 12 months ago I'd be very willing to let him have a crack in TOB's role. Can't really expect a lot from a super-young KPF like Jeka at AFL level imo. And for Cegs, I'm almost willing to let big Keegan Brooksby have a crack at 2nd ruck, or better yet even scrap the whole 2 ruck set-up and go for an extra runner.

Henderson also has been well below his 2019 standard imo. Some of his disposals were disgraceful, notably his turnover out of d50 in the 2nd quarter kicking to a 2 on 1 and his shocking handball to the feet of Jaeger/Smith??(not sure who) at the end of a nice handball chain through the corridor. Cost us badly on multiple occasions last night. Needs to lift or I think he'll make way for a younger player.

Puopolo surely can't stay in the team can he? I really find it hard to believe Minchington or Glass couldn't at least give us that output or better.

I'm not as harsh on Scully as others, although I would like to see a bit more from him. He doesn't need to be the best player due to his natural running ability, just needs to be better than serviceable and he'd have a great impact. Currently he's a serviceable but not great player with a massive tank.

If Shiels is out, let Manginess have a crack. Although I have a very strong suspicion that it will be Cousins who gets the nod from Clarko.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back