Preview Round 6, 2020: Collingwood v Hawthorn, 10 July 2020, 7.50pm @ Giants Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was there a reserves scrimmage yesterday afternoon?

Would love to know how Morris, Maguiness and Jeka went in particular.

Expect the very capable Hartley to play Scrimshaws role.

Bring Finn in for Henderson, he has been awful. Would keep Scully for now
I think we will see Finn for Henderson as a permanent change up before the end of the season. Maybe not as soon as this week as we have other forced injury changes and Clarko doesn't like to swap too many at a time.

But having said that Hendo looked absolutely stuffed yesterday. By the end just struggled to get to the contest and when he did had little impact. Looks to be running on empty so far this year.

Collingwood are without Howe and Langdon. Not sure what’s happening with Maynard.

If O’Brien can’t dominate or put in a better effort then last week then he never will. He simply doesn’t kick enough goals for a player who plays as a genuine key forward.

McEvoy last year broke even against Grundy.

11 disposals - 5 marks - 5 tackles - 29 hit-outs - 1 goal

:think:

I’m throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Greaves Frawley Stratton
Sicily Frost Smith
Day Mitchell Scully
Wingard TOB Finn
Gunston Patton Hardwick

McEvoy Omera Worpell
Int. Jones Cousins Morris Burgoyne

Shiels injured - Cousins
Lewis injured - Patton
Scrimshaw injured - Greaves
Hendo dropped - Day
Poppy dropped - Morris
Cegs dropped - Finn

Last edited:
It's time.
Unleash Minch.

I agree, we need the zip and X factor - we need to see what he can offer otherwise why even have him on the list. We know what poppy will bring, and he won’t go on after this year we need to see Minch for 3-4 games at least. Also Finn for Hendo please Hartley for Scrimshaw and Patton for Lewis.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We can all speculate on the ins and outs as much as we like however what concerns me the most is our transition of the football in the forward half of the ground. Our kicking inside 50 is VERY average at best and our forwards inability to work together and create space for each other is also of great concern.

I am unaware as to who our forwards coach is however we have struggled to kick a winning score for quite some time now. We look very defensive minded in the way we play. Very disciplined with our defensive work as a team, very poor with our ability to transition the football and use the football intelligently moving forward.

We continue to bomb the football inside 50 with no real purpose. Our forwards are stagnant, they create a pack situation which vary rarely results in a contested mark to a forward. Our forwards need to work harder and smarter. They need to start creating space for each other and isolate their opponents. Furthermore we need to start LEADING!! Lead and command the football. This is the only way someone like Jack Gunston will kick goals. Gunston will rarely win a one on one contest with his opponent, not strong enough. Same goes for the likes or Lewis & O'Brien - our forwards are not physical, they do not play physical and do not command the footy.

In order to give our forwards an opportunity to work smarter and create space, the midfield needs to start transitioning the ball quicker. Quicker ball movement and running. I want to see Smith and in particular Scully run into positions which will allow the game to be broken open. Something we have missed since Brad Hill departed. If we use the football quicker and we enter our 50 without the opposition flooding back, we give ourselves a better opportunity to score. It is absolutely ridiculous that we had 12 more inside 50s than GWS and 4 fewer scoring shots.

As for personnel, I see too many soft players. James Sicily is a defender that does not defend. Stratton was back to his laughing ways and only concerned about his opponent rather than offering more team defence support. O'Brien had his worst game for quite some time and Lewis was running as quick as Roughead did last season. Both O'Brien and Lewis played soft and both clearly look like they are not worried about their position in the side.

A decision needs to be made with McEvoy and Ceglar. Our mids look more comfortable when McEvoy is in the ruck. Playing McEvoy in defence spells danger when the ball hits the ground. Far too slow and not agile for defence. He may read the ball well to take an intercept mark however that is Sicily's role.

If the club decides to play both Ceglar and McEvoy, then the solution is both will need to alternate between ruck and full forward. I would rather see McEvoy up forward and create a focal point than O'Brien or Lewis. If Patton comes in for Lewis (injured), then either O'Brien or Ceglar go out. We are too tall.

Finally, Worpel needs to improve on decision making and his ability to influence the midfield contest. I am not seeing the Worpel of 2019 this season. Henderson has been serviceable and a good acquisition during the last couple of seasons however a decision needs to be made. He is not the future and I would much rather see the development of a Maginness or Cousins in place of him.

McEvoy will be back to full back this week. His match up will be Cox which is almost tailor made for him. With the giants fwds, they were all just too nimble for him.
Poppy and Patton will be relieved with the injuries this week, because one will come in and the other won’t get dropped. Clarko rarely makes more than 2 changes even after a bad result

Assuming Shiels gets up...

Patton for Lewis
Finn for Scrim

Once Lewis is fit, toss a coin between him or Patton. Don’t think we should have them both in the same side.

Once Scrim returns, hopefully he replaces Hendo and Finn keeps his spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back