Preview Round 6, 2020: Fremantle v St.Kilda - Metricon Stadium, Saturday 11th July, 12:35PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Dockers

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • Saints

Votes: 70 93.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having trouble working out who to move to make way for Byrnes? Jack Lonie must be worried.
I think Lonie is safe for the short term, but if he doesn't find a way to be more consistent, his time will come where he gets overtaken eventually. For now though, I'd persist with him. He's at an age for small forwards where they start to become more consistent so hopefully it happens for him. He's got the talent but he really needs to find a way to hit the scoreboard more consistently.

I watched a few of his games and thought his kicking was average (there was one game where he got massive numbers but didn't hit many kicks), didn't seem to have much break away pace or strength, looked like an accumulator first and foremost. He could still be the best out of that draft but I just didn't see it at the time and don't see it currently. Smith looked much more damaging to my eye.

Yeah, he's really fallen away and his disposal efficiency is very ordinary. At this point he looks so far behind Smith it's not funny. Last year it was the opposite. Smith has become the prime mover in a start studded midfield and has pace and skills. Walsh a little one paced and messy with his kicking.

Mines bigger than yours ;)
Well done lads , he does look like he is going well , i got a text from my spy , apparently the coaches words " Good young bloke , terrific attitude , heading in the right direction "

and tough ....both Byrnes & Bytel are .

Just my opinion think we have currently 1 too many small forwards & 1 less midfielder in current 22.

Hopefully they resolve it sooner rather than later .

I'm more than happy with our pick out of that draft in Winx and are pretty confident he will prove to be the pick of the crop.
Something about the lad suggests he is a once in a generation player. Think he will turn out to be a super star personally!
Plus ultimately though we do need a quality mid or two they are a dime a dozen. Getting a star key position forward is of more value to us in the long term. A player you can build a whole forward line around and he is so much more than that to boot. The lad can Ruck, play CHF CHB and of course Full Forward. His ground skills and footy smarts set him apart from even the very good big men!

Long live the King! :crown:

I think Lonie is safe for the short term, but if he doesn't find a way to be more consistent, his time will come where he gets overtaken eventually. For now though, I'd persist with him. He's at an age for small forwards where they start to become more consistent so hopefully it happens for him. He's got the talent but he really needs to find a way to hit the scoreboard more consistently.

Lonie does the invisable stuff that coaches love. Being a dwarf has made him very wily. He blocks, runs a lot of ks to provide options and reads play well. He was 4th in meters gained for us against the Blues. On TV they said he was leading the kms covered as well at one point. Another undervalued is Marsh, his delivery inside 50 is close to the best at the club. He kicks super low and flat with no hang time. You'd love being a KPF with that delivery, he hits ****.

Yes true about Rayner, but they aren't always wrong, they said Paddy Mac was the next Tom Boyd and they were spot on.

Young Byrne is so ugly he could play for Collingwood
Thats a horrible thing to say , you sound like a Collingwood supporter speaking like that

I'm more than happy with our pick out of that draft in Winx and are pretty confident he will prove to be the pick of the crop.
Something about the lad suggests he is a once in a generation player. Think he will turn out to be a super star personally!
Plus ultimately though we do need a quality mid or two they are a dime a dozen. Getting a star key position forward is of more value to us in the long term. A player you can build a whole forward line around and he is so much more than that to boot. The lad can Ruck, play CHF CHB and of course Full Forward. His ground skills and footy smarts set him apart from even the very good big men!

Long live the King! :crown:

Yeah he looks the goods. Having his brother starring gives you extra hope too.

Walsh was always a bit vanilla. There was something boring about him. Smith looks more dynamic. I reckon Smith looks more a match winner, Walsh still a gun.
I'm not to concerned about what trades we have missed , we will not know for another 2 or so years once these kids have fully developed - injuries become a big factor in how there careers go.
Any buy the looks we have some elite talent in the squad
Coffield - could easily become the best player of the lot , he is slowly developing his body and his kicking , ball handling and speed are elite - for some reason he just looks like a young Pendlebery.
Hunter Clark - just class skills and just another slowly developing and getting better with every game.
Paton - another class ball user and has a tremendously level head for such a young guy.
Long - to me this guy had all the skills but I was worried he couldn't really find his position in the side , however he has blossomed on the halfback flank and he could be a asset for many years to come.
Battle - to me the guy has as much ability as any big guy I have seen , said to have elite running ability and feel he will become a class forward in the future.
King - he is just going to be awesome
Marshall - improving every game and apart from being a pretty good ruckman his main asset is he is great around the ground.
Wilkie - is just a great defender
Howard - a guy who has just played 50 games , can keep the best forwards quiet and will only get better in years to come , but most importantly the guy can attack from defense when required.
Gresham - has copped a bit of flack over his disposal of late , but as we know he can produce the goods , has shown this year he can play in the middle and another who is developing nicely.
Billings - this guy has developed and now is showing he can produce week in week out.
Butler - we had a win with this guy , a very very good player.
Steele - another guy who has shown he can play as good as anyone
Lonie - gives his best and is a handy player
Zac Jones - 25yrs and 3mths - he could well become come our best inside midfielder

These guys are all 25 or under and have shown they are AFL grade

Then we have another bunch of guys who are 25 or under that are still to cement themselves into the squad
Marsh
Clavarino
Parker
Phillips
McKenzie
Mayo
Langlands
Connolly
Bytel
Byrnes
Bell
Austin
Dunstan -
25yrs 5mths
Hind -
25yrs 10mths
Sinclair -
25yrs 4mths

We currently are playing 16 guys in our 22 who are 25 or under and are still developing and we are winning games against some good sides.
When you consider we have not seen to much from Brad Hill and Membery and Ross is not really ripping apart games it only shows we have way more improvement to come.

Yeah, he's really fallen away and his disposal efficiency is very ordinary. At this point he looks so far behind Smith it's not funny. Last year it was the opposite. Smith has become the prime mover in a start studded midfield and has pace and skills. Walsh a little one paced and messy with his kicking.

Going a bit early for me ..

Put Walsh in a team like Brisbane would see completely different player .

Rozee .....would eat Smith as a footballer .

Very happy with Kings development too best part he is playing team football.

( Will repeat it again and again Roughead is huge player in our development)

Going a bit early for me ..

Put Walsh in a team like Brisbane would see completely different player .

Rozee .....would eat Smith as a footballer .

Very happy with Kings development too best part he is playing team football.

( Will repeat it again and again Roughead is huge player in our development)

Rozee is a gun. Walsh needs to play as a prime midfield player. Carlton are playing him on a wing or back flank. He looks lost, he's definitely dropped off his incredible 2019 form though. I've watch a few Dogs games this year and Smith looks like a fantastic player. Wins first use but can run and spread with really good pace, kicks goals and wins one on ones. Ideal modern mid in my mind. I would take him over Walsh due to his extra tricks even if he doesn't end up quite as good.

I'm not to concerned about what trades we have missed , we will not know for another 2 or so years once these kids have fully developed - injuries become a big factor in how there careers go.
Any buy the looks we have some elite talent in the squad
Coffield - could easily become the best player of the lot , he is slowly developing his body and his kicking , ball handling and speed are elite - for some reason he just looks like a young Pendlebery.
Hunter Clark - just class skills and just another slowly developing and getting better with every game.
Paton - another class ball user and has a tremendously level head for such a young guy.
Long - to me this guy had all the skills but I was worried he couldn't really find his position in the side , however he has blossomed on the halfback flank and he could be a asset for many years to come.
Battle - to me the guy has as much ability as any big guy I have seen , said to have elite running ability and feel he will become a class forward in the future.
King - he is just going to be awesome
Marshall - improving every game and apart from being a pretty good ruckman his main asset is he is great around the ground.
Wilkie - is just a great defender
Howard - a guy who has just played 50 games , can keep the best forwards quiet and will only get better in years to come , but most importantly the guy can attack from defense when required.
Gresham - has copped a bit of flack over his disposal of late , but as we know he can produce the goods , has shown this year he can play in the middle and another who is developing nicely.
Billings - this guy has developed and now is showing he can produce week in week out.
Butler - we had a win with this guy , a very very good player.
Steele - another guy who has shown he can play as good as anyone
Lonie - gives his best and is a handy player
Zac Jones - 25yrs and 3mths - he could well become come our best inside midfielder

These guys are all 25 or under and have shown they are AFL grade

Then we have another bunch of guys who are 25 or under that are still to cement themselves into the squad
Marsh
Clavarino
Parker
Phillips
McKenzie
Mayo
Langlands
Connolly
Bytel
Byrnes
Bell
Austin
Dunstan -
25yrs 5mths
Hind - 25yrs 10mths
Sinclair - 25yrs 4mths

We currently are playing 16 guys in our 22 who are 25 or under and are still developing and we are winning games against some good sides.
When you consider we have not seen to much from Brad Hill and Membery and Ross is not really ripping apart games it only shows we have way more improvement to come.
Excellent post premo!
I know you would normally find a positive in a big pile of sh!t such is your permanent optimism!
But this post is well thought out and presents a case for all of us fans to have plenty to look forward to with this fast developing team helped by some quality coaching in Ratts, Roughhead, Lade and co.
Things are very much looking on the up with the mighty Saints and I agree this side should be a force for many years to come!

Kudos for also always keeping the faith when many of us were looking for the first cliff to jump off!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rozee is a gun. Walsh needs to play as a prime midfield player. Carlton are playing him on a wing or back flank. He looks lost, he's definitely dropped off his incredible 2019 form though. I've watch a few Dogs games this year and Smith looks like a fantastic player. Wins first use but can run and spread with really good pace, kicks goals and wins one on ones. Ideal modern mid in my mind. I would take him over Walsh due to his extra tricks even if he doesn't end up quite as good.
And who was all over him ,,, Yes Mr Risky , see Gringo , im a smart ass like you now ;)

Been watching the Adelaide v Freeo game.

Damn it is ugly.

Freeo playing possession footy but jeeez it is ugly, we SHOULD bet both these teams, saying that does not mean we will though!!

Just can’t get ahead of ourselves. Coaches need to be on top of it.

Lonie does the invisable stuff that coaches love. Being a dwarf has made him very wily. He blocks, runs a lot of ks to provide options and reads play well. He was 4th in meters gained for us against the Blues. On TV they said he was leading the kms covered as well at one point. Another undervalued is Marsh, his delivery inside 50 is close to the best at the club. He kicks super low and flat with no hang time. You'd love being a KPF with that delivery, he hits ****.

His only weakness for me is when he leads up to the wings as the get out player, he consistently gets beaten over head. Whereas Butler is strong over head for a player of his size. When we are a top 4 side Lonie wont be in the starting 22 IMO.

Last edited:
His only weakness for me is when he leads up to the wings as the get out player, he consistently gets beaten over head. Whereas Butler is strong over head for a player of his size. When we are a top 4 side Lonie wont be in the starting 22 IMO.

He took 5 marks against Carlton. He's better than he should be for his size.

Just read today's posts.

My takeaway

Bird_man and gringo in a flog off, or flogathon can't decide.

People are going overboard over a first year player nobody except one or two have seen play, some even want to drop players to play him.

Walsh is not as good as Rozee or Bailey Smith.
Just on the last, I remember reading Luke Hodge was not as good as Chris Judd. We need years to decide.

Just read today's posts.

My takeaway

People are going overboard over a first year player nobody except one or two have seen play, some even want to drop players to play him.

Just on the last, I remember reading Luke Hodge was not as good as Chris Judd. We need years to decide.

It was an incredible draft. Hopefully we got the Judd or Hodge and not the Ball this time.

Just read today's posts.

My takeaway

Hodge isn't fit to shine judd's boots, if we're talking about pure footballing ability.

A lot will depend on the availability of GOAT. If he plays Freo are a 10 goal better side.

Might be the time that Benny (Hill) plays his best for us, will make us a 10 goal better side.Ha! Just checkmated Acres.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back