Preview Round 6, 2020: Fremantle v St.Kilda - Metricon Stadium, Saturday 11th July, 12:35PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Dockers

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • Saints

Votes: 70 93.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Guys and Gals

Confidence is well earned, you guys are playing some terrific footy, great to watch. Ridiculous it took so long for Ratten to get a gig elsewhere.

Will say the weekend was the worst our skills have been all year. We arguably should have beaten Brisbane and Essendon and had one very bad quarter against Port in the rain. We’re better than what we showed on the weekend, promise 😀

So the $64 million question is...will Fyfe play?

Hey Guys and Gals

Confidence is well earned, you guys are playing some terrific footy, great to watch. Ridiculous it took so long for Ratten to get a gig elsewhere.

Will say the weekend was the worst our skills have been all year. We arguably should have beaten Brisbane and Essendon and had one very bad quarter against Port in the rain. We’re better than what we showed on the weekend, promise 😀

I agree, I hope we don't get ahead of ourselves.

Hey Guys and Gals

Will say the weekend was the worst our skills have been all year. We arguably should have beaten Brisbane and Essendon and had one very bad quarter against Port in the rain. We’re better than what we showed on the weekend, promise
Think Nat needs one more game off just to be sure

Honestly don’t think he will, crazy turn around for even a minor hammy. Reckon they are playing silly buggers

Still a long season ahead, with a derby up next, I wouldn’t be taking any chances ☺️
Will be interested to see if Blake plays. I’m one who was sorry to see him go.

Hey Guys and Gals

I've always thought that playing terrible opposition drags the team down a few notches.
I for one am not taking this game lightly. You guys will/should be more comfortable with the ground at least and a win under your belts will help.
It'll be a good game I think.

I've always thought that playing terrible opposition drags the team down a few notches.
I for one am not taking this game lightly. You guys will/should be more comfortable with the ground at least and a win under your belts will help.
It'll be a good game I think.
Hope so, I’ve enjoyed watching you guys play this year and with the monkey off the back, hoping we put in 4 quarters and make it a good contest

Going to buck the trend here and say we should be looking for a percentage booster here; 6 - 7 goal victory.

This is not to disrespect Freo / their supporters; but it's pretty ripe - Freo has been struggling but got a release valve win; they'll be pretty conservative with player management with the derby looming, and it's a neutral venue and not the graveyard of most of our recent performances in the West.

West Coast will come good so for mine the form line looks pretty even for the ~4th - 12 / 13th placed teams (basically the current ladder down to Richmond plus West Coast). Shortened season means the 8 will almost certainly be decided on % so we should approach this week as an opportunity to work on that.

He’s like
My little dog Scooter. He’s become
Very adept at not getting stepped on and also drops a mean soup cooler.

I'm probably more perplexed about us taking Lonie a couple of picks before Caleb Daniel , than i am about taking Billings before Bont.
Yeah Lonie is a couple of cm taller, but Daniel was already hyped up as a big talent in a short body.

I'm probably more perplexed about us taking Lonie a couple of picks before Caleb Daniel , than i am about taking Billings before Bont.
Yeah Lonie is a couple of cm taller, but Daniel was already hyped up as a big talent in a short body.
Jack Lonies biggest problem is that he hasn't kicked straight.

I remember someone put up a video of Daniel that came from our SA scout. The forum was pretty sure he was coming. He was playing seniors and looked like a gun. Lonie ended up okay and was at least not a * up compared to Paddy, Danny Mac and Hugh, but Daniel has him covered.

I remember last year freo went in with a mozzie fleet fwd line against us with only 1 tall (darcy).

Them now playing lobb and hogan fwd is actually better for us matchups wise.

Like with carlton last week, our top quality tall options down back turn a potential opposition strength (tall fwds) into a weakness.

All the wraps have been on butler and jones- but howards inclusion has been massive in setting us up structurally to succeed.

If I were freo this week I'd drop darcy, play lobb in the ruck and hogan forward surrounded by fast smalls.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm a Lonie fan, but I don't think his form has been amazing. Butler is now our number one small forward and Kent's last two weeks have been very good.

Young Byrnes is knocking on the door and Lonie needs to pick up his game. He's missing too many targets at the moment.
Not being a smart arse, but whose for apart from Butler has been amazing?

Not knocking, lots of very consistent players and because of this the team overall has been eye catching.

I think Lonie has been instrumental in the team performance.

I'm a Lonie fan, but I don't think his form has been amazing. Butler is now our number one small forward and Kent's last two weeks have been very good.

Young Byrnes is knocking on the door and Lonie needs to pick up his game. He's missing too many targets at the moment.
There you go. I'm not a Lonie fan, but I think he's been really solid and smart, and instrumental in distracting defenders from their tasks.
I can't see him being dropped at all on current form.
On top of that, we've got so much tall timber around that forward line that I think Butler and Lonie are extra important up there.
Kent did play really well, but he's probably the one (based on history) that will be coming in and out of the team (injury/form).

Not being a smart arse, but whose for apart from Butler has been amazing?

Not knocking, lots of very consistent players and because of this the team overall has been eye catching.

I think Lonie has been instrumental in the team performance.
You are right, no one has been amazing.

Lonies form might not have been an issue last year, but when we are performing well and there are players outside of the side pushing really hard for selection, you need to perform.

Lonie hasn't been dreadful, but I definitely wouldn't be saying he's been instrumental.

His skills have been pretty disappointing for mine and it's not as though he's kicking goals or offering great forward pressure.

There you go. I'm not a Lonie fan, but I think he's been really solid and smart, and instrumental in distracting defenders from their tasks.
I can't see him being dropped at all on current form.
On top of that, we've got so much tall timber around that forward line that I think Butler and Lonie are extra important up there.
Kent did play really well, but he's probably the one (based on history) that will be coming in and out of the team (injury/form).
You are right, history shows Kent is more likely to be dropped, but if their form continues like it has there is no reason he shoukd be dropped ahead of Lonie.

I'm backing Lonie to have a couple of good games in the next month, but if he doesn't, his spot should not be safe.

Best passage of play was when he backed himself to break a tackle from walsh and then over the top to butler who got rid of jones and then finished it beautifully on the run..
I’ll raise you the “Danger Danger Danger Danger, Butler Butler Butler Butler” play of Coffields with my personal favourite.

Contested intercept mark centre of the ground first quarter. His kick was a 40m dead eye onto Marsh. Who missed. But the play was Elite.

Lastly, as onlookers we can classify this year as an asterisk. Not real. Mickey Mouse etc. but for the players, this is very real. Living in Hubs, no Fans, tested for Covid every other day etc.
But if you asked ANY player in the league. If you made this years grand final, how real would it be to you? They would all tell you, it would mean every bit as much as making and winning any grand final in any other year.

If you asked Harvey or Rooey if they could play and win a flag this year.. bet both would bite your hands off.

Kent has been a frustrating player for me. I know that statistics can sometimes be deceiving but he is currently ranked Elite for Marks I50, Tackles I50 and Score Involvements. The thing that is letting him down is his disposal efficiency and his goal kicking accuracy. If he can clean up his ball use and stay injury free then I think he can become a regular fixture in our forward line.

Kent has been a frustrating player for me. I know that statistics can sometimes be deceiving but he is currently ranked Elite for Marks I50, Tackles I50 and Score Involvements. The thing that is letting him down is his disposal efficiency and his goal kicking accuracy. If he can clean up his ball use and stay injury free then I think he can become a regular fixture in our forward line.
He's actually a terrific field kick with a lot of penetration. If he cleaned up some of his goal kicking and stopped dropping absolute sodas then he would easily be a lock in the 22. Most of the time when he gets the ball, something good happens.

He's actually a terrific field kick with a lot of penetration. If he cleaned up some of his goal kicking and stopped dropping absolute sodas then he would easily be a lock in the 22. Most of the time when he gets the ball, something good happens.

I always considered injury to be his biggest problem.

I watched the Freo v Adelaide match to review how they're going, where their strengths are, and what we need to do to ensure a win.

Freo came into this match missing Fyfe, yet were still favoured to beat Adelaide.
I watched this match on 1.5x speed so everything looked intense and at pace, but even with this limitation I could see that Freo applied more pressure than Adelaide causing errors and turnovers. They are quite adept at rebound football. Freo's personnel are quite young. They tired after half time and the tide of the match started to turn. Adelaide realised and took advantage wiping out a 20 point deficit in just the last 6 minutes of the third quarter and having all the momentum coming into the last quarter. This is when Freo's older players stood up Walters shook his tagger Keays and really stood up, Mundy kept winning clearances, Logue was enormous in defence, Aish also big on the outside.

I am impressed with how well Brayshaw played - had a role on Crouch, rested forward a couple of times but otherwise ran out the match as well as the older players, Cerra too was impressive as was Tucker - all amongst Freo's best. These will form the core of their midfield for a further decade after just passing the 50 game mark. They are talented and becoming more consistent. Mundy and Walters attended a majority of centre bounces but were not terribly influential until the last quarter. Darcy competed well in the ruck but was less impressive around the ground.

Freo's defence stood up to some intense pressure over much of the second half. Griffin Logue was enormous and rarely beaten, the rebounds came from Ryan and Young (I'm actually quite impressed by Young - absorbs pressure well and his kicking is superb). Aish seemed to be their primary target when rebounding, though Walters put himself in a position to be one as well but he was blanketed by Keays most of the match.

Freo's forward line was accurate early and Adelaide's inaccuracy was the sole reason they were behind the whole match (although they did draw even late in the third quarter). Lobb was their most effective target in the first half, while Taberner became their go to late in the match. Walters shed his tagger by dropping into the forward line and almost immediately snagged a goal.

Serong showed enough that he will be a player, Sturt also looks like he will make it but he tired in the second half, Hill got a lot of ball early then barely touched it late

I was unimpressed by Bewley and Hogan

All in all Freo was quite good, they applied pressure well, rebounded well and as players tired, others took over and held on for the win.

Changes to the team to meet St Kilda:

OUT: Reece Conca will likely be out with hamstring injury,

INS: Blake Acres, Liam Henry, and Nat Fyfe may return from Injury, Trav Colyer will be considered as well after missing against Adelaide in a late replacement.

Wholeheartedly agree. I dont understand why there will be an asterix against whoever wins the flag. Each team will be challenged and the one who can adapt the best will come out as the winner.
I’ll raise you the “Danger Danger Danger Danger, Butler Butler Butler Butler” play of Coffields with my personal favourite.

Contested intercept mark centre of the ground first quarter. His kick was a 40m dead eye onto Marsh. Who missed. But the play was Elite.

Lastly, as onlookers we can classify this year as an asterisk. Not real. Mickey Mouse etc. but for the players, this is very real. Living in Hubs, no Fans, tested for Covid every other day etc.
But if you asked ANY player in the league. If you made this years grand final, how real would it be to you? They would all tell you, it would mean every bit as much as making and winning any grand final in any other year.

If you asked Harvey or Rooey if they could play and win a flag this year.. bet both would bite your hands off.

Yep and zero contested marks and when we played Collingwood his taller opponent dominated.
Yes and he is in the side for his contested marking of course :rolleyes:. Sorry mate but I am with Gringo with Lonie's value to the team. Oh and by the way how did the rest of our side go against Collingwood?? Steele Sidearse's opponent for example?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back