Autopsy Round 6, 2020: Fremantle v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

nothing personal, but Jack Lonie is 23, 175 cm and 70 kg
too small , and not super fast , to get away with it
, played 66 games 4 browlow v otes

Not sure if it's the right quote but he's been good in the past, isa bit out of form right now. Should be under pressure but probably holds his spot because others were worse.

I wonder what kind of impact Ryder would have had on the game. I reckon if he played things could have been different. An experienced player who wouldn’t give up as quickly as some of the usual suspects.
Hindsight is 20/20 but I think having two rucks against Freo would have worked.

Sheesh apparently the AFL are digging up Long's school footy record to denigrate him at the tribunal :oops:
I hope the Saints have their tops guys representing Longy.
Straight up ****ed. Seriously.

Do they do this to all players? Don't recall it happening with old mate Lewis from hawthorn and Melbourne.

How about Barry hall. Nah.

So why now?

Straight up f’ed. Seriously.

Do they do this to all players? Don't recall it happening with old mate Lewis from hawthorn and Melbourne.

How about Barry hall. Nah.

So why now?
Bloody disgraceful. He has been in the AFL system for three years. Have they been waiting for something to come up?

The whole mantra that we are simply bog average in talent and we need another 3 years is absolute rubbish and just ignoring the obvious evidence that this team whilst prob not the strongest list in the comp is more than talented enough when they want to be! Easily despatching last year's premiers and the Bulldogs shows this!

It is in the mental aptitude and fragility of the group that should be the most pressing question!
+1.

Carn Saints!

We were gutted at Freo when Bradley wanted to leave

However he doesnt like close attention and was found wanting when opposition teams roughed him up or had a loose tag on him . Didnt happen too often at Freo but might be on the cards more going forward

Hopefully for your sake he can overcome this as he is great to watch when up and about

The guy is a mature player now...if he hasn't changed yet i don't see him changing.

Admittedly you would have watched him far more than me, but every time i watch him he's so scared of contact it's a farce...he should probably be called out on it more by commentators. Doesn't put his body on the line at all...in a contested situation i always see him try to kick the ball of the ground. Now sometimes this is the right play, but often it's not and he seems to do it a lot so that he can't get tackled. I also haven't seen him back into a pack in an aerial contest...he seems to just wait at the front for the crumb. Again, this is his role and usually the right thing to do, but I reckon there were times he needed to go but didn't.

I think they will too. And it's the wrong case to make an example of, because Long wasn't moving and Darcy slid in head first. It's just unfortunate, and if anyone learns something it should be Darcy, because he's going to get his head cleaned up again if he doesn't! It finished McCartin's career.

Have a closer look Munga: https://www.afl.com.au/video/463936...FL_COMPSEASON:20,AFL_ROUND:432,AFL_MATCH:2789

The ball spills from Darcy and Long comes charging in from the left of screen and absolutely cleans him up with zero intention to go for the ball...to say that 'Long wasn't moving' and in another post you said he was 'just standing there' is quite ridiculous.

What if this was a Freo player who KO'd Marshall? I'm sure you'd be seeing it differently.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have a closer look Munga: https://www.afl.com.au/video/463936...FL_COMPSEASON:20,AFL_ROUND:432,AFL_MATCH:2789

The ball spills from Darcy and Long comes charging in from the left of screen and absolutely cleans him up with zero intention to go for the ball...to say that 'Long wasn't moving' and in another post you said he was 'just standing there' is quite ridiculous.

What if this was a Freo player who KO'd Marshall? I'm sure you'd be seeing it differently.
How many weeks did fyfe get for deliberately kneeing carlisle in the head and KO'ing him?

Yeah I agree, it doesn't look as bad in slow mo. Yes he does come charging in and gets to the space first, Darcy falls head first into his back. What I'm saying is look at Shiel and Ebert today, they run through players. Long runs to the contest, he doesn't charge through Darcy at all.
And the rules have never stated you have to go for the ball. Shephards/blocks are part of the game. From memory the ball has to be within 5 or 10 metres, which it was.

And no, if that were McCartin (a better example) getting KO'd I would say silly bugger shouldn't have gone to ground leading with his head. Darcy will get KO'd again, bookmark it, we'll be back here again one day.

Ya kidding? Zero intention to go for the ball?
he’s closer than Darcy to the ball and he’s bracing for contact while trying to get the ball, which happens in every contest!
I get the AFL want to stamp concussions out but it’s a contact sport ffs, where a bump is legal. 1 week should suffice. 3-4 would be an absolute joke. And if Darcy didn’t get concussed we wouldn’t even be talking about the bump

he’s closer than Darcy to the ball and he’s bracing for contact while trying to get the ball, which happens in every contest!
I get the AFL want to stamp concussions out but it’s a contact sport ffs, where a bump is legal. 1 week should suffice. 3-4 would be an absolute joke. And if Darcy didn’t get concussed we wouldn’t even be talking about the bump

And therein lies the problem with the tribunal these days.

The punishment is handed out according to the outcome, and not based on the severity/legality of the action itself.

Was at the ground on Saturday - and a real positive for me was the first quarter, it was scintillating, brilliant football and that I believe shows what we are capable of. We are a young, inexperienced side. These type of losses, whilst hard to accept, are part of the learning curve.

As a matter of interest, can anyone confirm if Paddy McCartin is with the Saints? I swear he was part of the warm up, wearing a Saints polo.

Having had time to "reflect" on this game (Big thumbs up to Dan Murphy for the click and collect), I wonder if the result would have been any different if the score was closer at 1/4 time. We seemed to lose all our run and willingness to take risks after 1/4 time. Fremantle taking the lead was the only thing that stung us back into action and a lack of composure was what cost us in the end. Here's hoping that this forced time spent together will help build a better understanding between team mates and be the catalyst for more leaders to come forward because we sorely need more onfield leaders!
Maybe put a video of Lenny Hayes highlights on continuous loop and make them watch it everyday just so they can understand what commitment to winning every contest looks like.

Having had time to "reflect" on this game (Big thumbs up to Dan Murphy for the click and collect), I wonder if the result would have been any different if the score was closer at 1/4 time. We seemed to lose all our run and willingness to take risks after 1/4 time. Fremantle taking the lead was the only thing that stung us back into action and a lack of composure was what cost us in the end. Here's hoping that this forced time spent together will help build a better understanding between team mates and be the catalyst for more leaders to come forward because we sorely need more onfield leaders!
Maybe put a video of Lenny Hayes highlights on continuous loop and make them watch it everyday just so they can understand what commitment to winning every contest looks like.
put them on a darkened bus and play a Lenny loop. I like it this week given who we're playing...😉

The guy is a mature player now...if he hasn't changed yet i don't see him changing.

Admittedly you would have watched him far more than me, but every time i watch him he's so scared of contact it's a farce...he should probably be called out on it more by commentators. Doesn't put his body on the line at all...in a contested situation i always see him try to kick the ball of the ground. Now sometimes this is the right play, but often it's not and he seems to do it a lot so that he can't get tackled. I also haven't seen him back into a pack in an aerial contest...he seems to just wait at the front for the crumb. Again, this is his role and usually the right thing to do, but I reckon there were times he needed to go but didn't.
I have a different opinion on Hill. I don't want him putting his body on the line routinely, I don't want him getting involved in push and shove and I don't want him backing into packs.
I want him waiting or pouncing at the front. I want him keeping his body right so he can be at full speed full time.
My frustration on the weekend was that other guys weren't roughing up the guys who were trying to rough up Hill.
We've got other players there for the rough stuff, keep Hill in top knick so he can do what we're paying him to do.
I know he had a crap 3 quarters on the weekend, along with about 20 other blokes. I did see him running hard to provide options (maybe not as much as usual, hard to tell on TV), but getting no possessions for it. That's more than I can say for some other players walking around *cough* Seb.

Couple days to calm down but this one still got me pretty angry to be honest, can handle losing due to lack of talent like we have had for the last few years, but we lost this one due to lack of effort, which makes it all so much worse.
Need to see a vast improvement this week in effort or we are going to lose to the Crows who have looked putrid so far this year

I hope you're right, but can't see it happening.
Counting for Long is that the ball bounced to the right, which meant Darcy didn't actually have his head over the ball - he was falling and reaching out to the right.
Counting for Long is that he didn't seem to hit Darcy side on with his hip & shoulder, more his back/shoulder-blade region from what I could see.
Counting for Long is that he's got a much bigger man coming at him, with another guy coming from the right, so he could have a right to be bracing himself.
Possibly counting for Long is that if the Saints can show that Darcy falling, rather than keeping his feet, happened after Long turned his head, he could claim not to know that Darcy's head would be so low.

Counting against Long is the result, and the appearance of the impact.
Also counting against long is that he jumped, and braced himself with 2 feet before backing into Darcy's face. It really looked like he was going for a decent hit, if you look at his body movement and ignore Darcy's movements and the ball's position.

All in all, in the current climate he gets 3 or 4 imo. 2 if he's really lucky and the Saints argue the case well. Anyway, I'm not that fussed as we've got plenty of back flankers, and we likely just shat our season down the toilet last Saturday.

Back to your board
Zero intention lol

Remove this Banner Ad

Back