Discussion Round 6, 2021 (Anzac Round) - Photos and Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Friday, April 23
Greater Western Sydney v Western Bulldogs (MO) (N)

Saturday, April 24
Geelong v West Coast (GMHBA)
Gold Coast v Sydney (MS)
Carlton v Brisbane Lions (MRVL) (T)
Melbourne v Richmond (MCG) (N)
Fremantle vs North Melbourne (OS) (N)

Sunday, April 25
Hawthorn v Adelaide (UTAS)
Collingwood v Essendon (MCG)
Port Adelaide v St Kilda (AO) (N)

My problem with that setup is you end up with a mix of light and dark as well as a heap of mutual gold. The gold on our home really pops against the navy, so against Hawthorn’s jumper theres just a lot of gold going on.

Ah, gotcha. Thanks for that, I understand what you mean now.

May I ask how you found the effectiveness of the Crows' red clash jumpers (circa 2008, for example) when playing away against Melbourne/Essendon?

Additionally, have you had any clash issues with Hawthorn (gold & brown; brown) hosting Richmond (black & yellow; white)?
(Were the white shorts enough of a determinant?)

(Again, I'm not questioning your interpretation of a clash, this is merely for research purposes.)

Last edited:
Ah, gotcha. Thanks for that, I understand what you mean now.

May I ask how you found the effectiveness of the Crows' red clash jumpers (circa 2008, for example) when playing away against Melbourne/Essendon?

Additionally, have you had any clash issues with Hawthorn (gold & brown; brown) hosting Richmond (black & yellow; white)?
(Were the white shorts enough of a determinant?)

(Again, I'm not questioning your interpretation of a clash, this is merely for research purposes.)

Always happy to answer any questions to anyone who shows an interest!

My personal view on red jumpers is that they should always be paired with red shorts. Against the likes of Melbourne or Essendon, they're passable. Think Swans/Suns against either of those teams. Maybe not the most effective, but I think generally does the job well enough. Using red shorts though is what makes the whole uniform overwhelmingly one colour, and helps to differentiate the two teams. Unfortunately only Gold Coast and Sydney wear red shorts (with their red home jumpers) and no team that has used a red clash jumper has taken that step.

Hawthorn and Richmond is actually, in my view, one of the worst clashes in the league. It just doesn't seem to be as high profile or get as much attention as others for some reason. When its a Richmond home game its just passable, as Hawthorn in white shorts helps to create that light uniform against Richmond's dark strip. As a Hawks home game though its just terrible.

Hawthorn and Richmond is actually, in my view, one of the worst clashes in the league. It just doesn't seem to be as high profile or get as much attention as others for some reason. When its a Richmond home game its just passable, as Hawthorn in white shorts helps to create that light uniform against Richmond's dark strip. As a Hawks home game though its just terrible.

The funny thing is the AFL always seem to schedule this match up as a Richmond home game. The last this jumper match up occurred was way back in 2013, although Richmond did where their ingenious jumper on the one other occasion (2015) when Hawthorn was the home team. So thats a long time between drinks!

The funny thing is the AFL always seem to schedule this match up as a Richmond home game. The last this jumper match up occurred was way back in 2013, although Richmond did where their ingenious jumper on the one other occasion (2015) when Hawthorn was the home team. So thats a long time between drinks!
This year was a Hawthorn home game 895EBD13-A61A-4648-9E33-8552E7CE353C.jpeg

How do you find light/dark vs dark/light when there are no 'shared' colours?
(I.e. Hawks (gold & brown guernsey; brown shorts) hosting Blues/Bombers/Bulldogs/Demons/Saints (in their traditional guernseys with white shorts).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back