Review Round 6, 2021: Box Hill v Carlton, Sunday 23rd May @ 12:05pm, IKON Park

Remove this Banner Ad

You’d want a potential midseason draft pick to be absolutely bringing it at this level as a mid in order to take them before a tall.

Why wouldn't you want a mid? I thought that was the biggest hole in our list?

Newcombe does look alright.

Thought it would be easier to land an adequate ruck and look for elite midfield class at the top end of the draft.

BUT, Newcombe clearly has all the tools to develop into a solid midfielder at AFL level. Clean, strong and hard. Would help us immensely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Threads on the main about everything we've got wrong - time for one about what we've gotten right - this new Box Hill coaching set up - new recruiting manager - new list manager - and other board changes.

We're back on the right track, and it's because of these changes, that someone made. :thumbsu:

You’d want to potential midseason draft pick to be absolutely brining it at this level as a mid in order to take them before a tall.

Agree but age and scope for development comes into it. Jai would compare favourably to guys like Davis or MacPherson as the best rated 19 year old inside guys. He's not exactly the type that screams huge upside, though.

Great game from the AFL listed players for us today. Was really impressed by Saunders, Jeka, Downie and Morris especially.
I think if we're not going for a ruck in the msd we would do well to get Newcombe- especially if the plan is to get Smitchell coaching the seniors in 2023. He's young and offers a tremendous amount of grunt and speed. Lowers his eyes and doesn't just blast it high.

Are we really good or are they just terrible. Appears a lot of blow outs in this new vfl as some big differences in experience in the squads.
They have ten afl players we had 11 apparently but the vfl fellas we've kept and recruited are looking miles above theirs - our 1st year Hawk listed players dropped off in the end which you'd expect no matter the level. So even though it be nice for more debuts for or games into Brocky and Morris etc they haven't got the tanks at all. But we have reward form if anyone at afl level isn't doing what their supposed to.

I'm a big fan of Jeka! Seems to have all the tools. Brown mentioned he plays a role similar to Buddy. Great field kicking.

For people who watch him a lot, or are more in the know, is there a knock on him? Any negatives people or the club thinks he has?

Seems to have lots of upside. Him and Kosi I reckon would be a good pairing.

I'm a big fan of Jeka! Seems to have all the tools. Brown mentioned he plays a role similar to Buddy. Great field kicking.

For people who watch him a lot, or are more in the know, is there a knock on him? Any negatives people or the club thinks he has?

Seems to have lots of upside. Him and Kosi I reckon would be a good pairing.
His defensive efforts were poor in his two senior games. That's the only knock I am aware of.

He is too good for VFL and our senior side is too s**t not to play him. Needs to be in the AFL side. Agree he and Kosi need to be giving opportunity as twin talls up forward, with a resting Reeves/McEvoy.

Brockman and Saunders put their hands up for senior selection today. Downie was better but still not earning a call up.

Threads on the main about everything we've got wrong - time for one about what we've gotten right - this new Box Hill coaching set up - new recruiting manager - new list manager - and other board changes.

We're back on the right track, and it's because of these changes, that someone made. :thumbsu:

100% the rebuild is / has been happening in the background. Just need to be patient to see the full effects. Slowly starting to come through

Top post. President Ed Sill has done a tremendous job.

Great performance by the Hawks today. Second quarter very impressive. Go Hawks!!

You’d want a potential midseason draft pick to be absolutely brining it at this level as a mid in order to take them before a tall.
Tend to agree, but it really depends upon which talls are available. Newcombe has been named in Box Hill's best 2 players for the first 4 games. Sixth best last week and played well again today. If he'd been a Hawthorn listed player he'd have played in the ones by now. There are some good Box Hill players but they are all around 5 years older than Newcombe. He's made a big jump from playing local footy up in Gippsland and I could see him doing the same thing either at Hawthorn or another AFL club. I would think there would be a few clubs looking at him. The other thing in his favour is that he grew up supporting the Hawks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back