lionsrules

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2006
brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
liverpool
never forget that game 2 years ago. We were celebrating Kevin Murray's brownlow. Boys wore special guernseys, up at half time and got burnt. Was teagure's first game as coach. Need revenge. Maybe ...if the demolition is enough could even be Teague's last game a coach.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
never forget that game 2 years ago. We were celebrating Kevin Murray's brownlow. Boys wore special guernseys, up at half time and got burnt. Was teagure's first game as coach. Need revenge. Maybe ...if the demolition is enough could even be Teague's last game a coach.

I'd be happy to lose to them again if it triggered a 9 game winning streak or whatever it was after we lost to them last time

Ralphy2017

Cancelled
Jul 16, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yes alas every sports news story is about Carlton in Melbourne - including “Teague coaching for his career” by reporters and ”Twenty years of rubbish” from Mark McClure which is really annoying when we’re playing them this week! Expect a fired up group of Carlton players and hypo aggro Carlton supporters........we will really need to be on our game this week - bit worried about this one.
I am a bit worried also. If they decide to tag Neal with Curnow, and the flak the Blues are receiving from some of the media, you would expect them to lift if they have any pride. That said we should be winning this by at least a few goals. I have been critical of McStay but playing the roving role could be the making of him.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I am a bit worried also. If they decide to tag Neal with Curnow, and the flak the Blues are receiving from some of the media, you would expect them to lift if they have any pride. That said we should be winning this by at least a few goals. I have been critical of McStay but playing the roving role could be the making of him.

It's the same role as he's previously played but with Joe instead of Oscar to take advantage of it.

SonnyBoy1

Senior List
Mar 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Carlton are not as bad as the media are saying they are, very typical of the media to go after a Vic club after a bad loss though. Saying that, we started our rebuild roughly the same time and are clearly ahead of them on every area on the field, can also never forget their fan comparing their list to ours and saying it was better.

If we can simply stop Cripps having a monster game against us we should win by a few goals. Do not see much match winners in their side, so we just need to control the midfield.

Would like to see Mathieson get a game, but can completely understand if CEY gets a game. Also does any know what's happening with Answerth?

Would like to see Mathieson get a game, but can completely understand if CEY gets a game. Also does any know what's happening with Answerth?
I think because he wasn’t picked for the AFL side in either of the last couple of games then he has to serve his suspension in the VFL.
So won’t be available until after this weeks VFL game.

morsie

All Australian
Aug 19, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
From the Couch Curnow went to Boak so Joel ran with Cripps.According to Brownie if Voss was tagged he would go to another player or go forward.

The pile on Carlton seems over the top. Just this weeks headline. Don't think anyone with any sense expected them to beat PA.

They've got some good players but if we turn up with the same attitude we had last week we should win easily.
It’s all about mindset for our boys.
They come ready to play, they win, simples...

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Latest injury list on lions.com .

Archie Smith - Ankle > 1-2 weeks.
Cam Ellis-Yolmen - Shin > 2-3 weeks.
Connor McFadyen - Knee > 2-3 weeks.
Ely Smith - Ankle > 2 weeks.
Jack Payne - Foot > 2-3 weeks.
Cam Rayner - Knee > Season.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Shame about the Archie and Ely. Only 2 of our Smiths available this week

Latest injury list on lions.com .

Archie Smith - Ankle > 1-2 weeks.
Cam Ellis-Yolmen - Shin > 2-3 weeks.
Connor McFadyen - Knee > 2-3 weeks.
Ely Smith - Ankle > 2 weeks.
Jack Payne - Foot > 2-3 weeks.
Cam Rayner - Knee > Season.

“Jarrod Berry (adductor) and Oscar McInerney (ankle) were both on light duties and will need to prove their fitness later in the week.”

The pile on Carlton seems over the top. Just this weeks headline. Don't think anyone with any sense expected them to beat PA.

They've got some good players but if we turn up with the same attitude we had last week we should win easily.

I think it’s based on PAs injury profile and the thought that Carlton should have been able to be competitive.Apart from the start of the game, they weren’t. The score flatters them a bit because they scored some junk time goals.

Berrygood

All Australian
Aug 27, 2017
Sunshine Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We certainly can't take Carlton easily. If we are not careful they could surprise. Having said that if we play like we did v bombers we should be ok. Carlton will try to bully us in the middle and run around us from the back. I would like to see matho in for berry if he doesn't come up or added to the bench if he does. Didn't we have 3 defenders on the bench last week. I think we could use an extra mid this week. Cripps, curnow big lads that will try to bash neale, I think, and matho fits the bill to play protector. His form has been good, he has some good experience now and if he can take advantage of both he could become more regular in the first. I do think with matho that if everything clicks for him, form, experience and consistency he would add a lot to the midfield group. Maybe bring B2 onto the bench as well, bit of extra pace and chase fwd. He can do a job on saad or Zac Williams. Prior to take Berry's spot as sub. It was great to see Mcstay back in the team. It started to look like the fwds were playing how they trained all pre-season. The set up with Mcstay, joe, hippy, and big O will be better each time they play together. Charlie looks more comfortable with them too.

If we play with that team first attitude and bring the grunt, we should beat Carlton by 40. If not it's a danger game.

lioninthesand

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Would take satisfaction in burying the Blues. It has turned into a bit of a 'line in the sand' game for them though, their fans are furious, so expecting a big effort from them. Confident we will win.

Jan 9, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Game 100 for Hippy

Who gives a toss about Carlton, we have something to play for:fire::fire::fire:
Kicked more goals now than Johnathan Brown did playing his 100th game & will play all year as a 23 year old. Pretty impressive taking into account his apprenticeship without a tradie in sight for 2 years. It will be interesting where & how he goes once he hits 26-27 years old. Exciting times if we can keep the young guns as a group.

P.S. One for the knockers: Imagine What His Stats Would Be If He Could Kick Straight!!! ;)

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Kicked more goals now than Johnathan Brown did playing his 100th game & will play all year as a 23 year old. Pretty impressive taking into account his apprenticeship without a tradie in sight for 2 years. It will be interesting where & how he goes once he hits 26-27 years old. Exciting times if we can keep the young guns as a group.

P.S. One for the knockers: Imagine What His Stats Would Be If He Could Kick Straight!!! ;)

Has had an excellent start to this year, following on from a step up in performance last year.

Aug 17, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Second day in a row now that Carlton has been copping it in the media. Mark McClure on 360 unloaded again backing up his article in the Age today, Robbo had an article in the HUN about them today too.

No chance our boys will be expecting anything other than the Blues coming out firing.

Fagan would show the footage from last year's game and the previous year's.

We simply have to win it in the coal face, work hard defensively and no reason why we shouldn't win. Wonder why there is so much media attention on them, the week after a premiership favourite rightfully beat them. I would have thought it would be saved for when we play them at their home ground and smash them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back