Preview Round 6, 2021 - Carlton vs. Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saturday, 24 April 2021

1618731680344.png

Our second trip to Marvel Stadium this season to take on Carlton, in what is another must win for us as we try to build some continuity and get our season on track.

Team changes

After a good win against Essendon and true to form, I don’t expect that Fagan will make any unforced changes this week.

If J Berry misses through injury we will likely bring in Dev based on current form.

Sitting directly above the bench last night, it did not look like the coaches, Doc or physio were overly concerned about Oscar, so I think he will play.

2021 season form

Brisbane come into this game with a slightly disappointing record – two wins and three losses. However, the three losses have come against teams that many pundits are predicting to be top sides this year and Brisbane has been competitive in almost each of those games.

Carlton comes into the game with the same record as Brisbane, having beaten Fremantle and Gold Coast. Carlton’s most recent match against Port Adelaide was probably their most disappointing of the season given Port’s injuries (a significant portion of Carlton’s score was kicked in junk time at the end of the match).

Head to head

The Blues do not have as high quality depth as the Lions, which we should be able to exploit. They are also very reliant on the likes of Harry McKay up forward. I would be surprised if we didn’t go to work on Harry to limit his ability to lead, jump and take grabs. I am confident that our small/medium defenders will be able to take care of the Betts and Gibbons of the world.

Can we smell what the Blues are cooking?

Five rounds in and I don’t think anyone has a gauge on what the Blues are cooking. Saturday’s Port Adelaide game represented the first of a stretch of difficult games for the Blues. The outcome of these games will define the club’s season.

Carlton look very much like a Jekyll and Hyde team this season. There are half a dozen players who will generally turn up week in week out and then a dozen or so who are hot and cold. Last night they were cold and lacked basic effort in the contest. I’m sure this will be reviewed and these same players will come out hot next week so we will need to prepare for Carlton’s best.

Lions with some form

Using most recent form as a guide I think we stack up well against the Blues. While it is hard to get a true gauge having played half of the game against Essendon in torrential rain, our midfield look to be back on song and our forward and backlines have been bolstered with the addition of Gardiner and McStay.

Pretty basic but the things I will be looking for this week are:
  • our ability to win the ball at the contest and win it back when we don’t have it;
  • our work-rate when we don’t have the ball;
  • players creating options and moving further up the field; and
  • our ability to take marks inside 50 on a dry deck.
If we can play our brand with good work-rate then I think we can really put Carlton to the sword.

Things to look out for

There are a few but I’ll focus on four:

• A revitalised Charlie – after a dip in form I think Charlie is working his way back now and gave a much contribution last night.
  • The holy trinity – the flexibility of having Daniher, Hipwood and McStay could be the difference this year as we work our way back into some form. They worked well together in their first outing so it will be interesting to see how it goes this week on a dry deck.
  • Midfield on the hunt – we need consistent performance out of our midfield brigade so will be looking for our mids to give a repeat performance.
  • Rich and Birch – Rich has been terrific nuff said. I have probably been unfairly critical of Birch throughout periods but when you see his ball use and the options he will pick to open it up for us you cannot doubt his importance to the side.
The TLDR version

Not enough time to read all of the above…?

Lions by 5 goals.

PattyKwasagun - just following on from the other thread - definitely agree with what you're saying. I think it'll ultimately come down to what type of player we want in the team if Berry is out. What's great is we have some very different players to choose from.

Sep 16, 2001
Behind the goals at the BSO
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy, North
Daniher played very well when rucking but I am still scarred by Brissie playing Brennan in the ruck and he getting injured and missing the rest of the season. I think it happened two years in a row.

If Oscar doesn't come up I suppose Balladen comes in as he played well in the Twos. Its good to have the Twos playing so we can have an opinion based on more than our opinion!

Lachie Neale is highly likely to be hard tagged by Curnow again in this game so expecting a bit of a downturn from his game on the weekend.

I know that Fages has a tendency to run with the same team after a win but I feel we will need another mid in this game as a result of Neale being tagged.
Imo we need to bring in Matho or Dev after their games on the weekend to add an extra hard body around the ball at the expense of a defender. I still think Lester is surplus to needs. Barely noticed him in the game on the weekend.

Jan 13, 2016
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Lachie Neale is highly likely to be hard tagged by Curnow again in this game so expecting a bit of a downturn from his game on the weekend.

I know that Fages has a tendency to run with the same team after a win but I feel we will need another mid in this game as a result of Neale being tagged.
Imo we need to bring in Matho or Dev after their games on the weekend to add an extra hard body around the ball at the expense of a defender. I still think Lester is surplus to needs. Barely noticed him in the game on the weekend.
I thought Matho looked a level above with his game in the VFL. Must be close to getting another run unless we see some more value in the young un's coming through getting more seniors experience.

Daniher played very well when rucking but I am still scarred by Brissie playing Brennan in the ruck and he getting injured and missing the rest of the season. I think it happened two years in a row.
The reason Brennan got flattened and injured is because he had the ruck technique of a jumping baby giraffe.

Daniher has a lot more solid body and engages that body instead of trying to jump over his opponent..

This game is all about us. We have found a working combination now, just need to solidify the gains and build on it. I don't care for one second how Carlton are doing and whether the win is already in the bag. Need to get the Daniher, McStay, Hipwood, Charlie combination working along with our midfield firing all cylinders.

Even Neale/Lyons/McCluggage went all the way back into D50 to take intercepts. It was exciting to watch last week and I want mooooooorreeeeeeeeeeeeeeee !

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The reason Brennan got flattened and injured is because he had the ruck technique of a jumping baby giraffe.

Daniher has a lot more solid body and engages that body instead of trying to jump over his opponent..
True
The other reason was Brennan made it clear he did not want to ruck but did not get a choice
Where as Daniher stated early on he will be the other ruck for the Lions
With McStay back we finally got the ruck combination needed for 2021
Just hope Oscar is good to go next week

lionsrules

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2006
brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
liverpool
In the review Essendon thread. I think it was bato that said that Post match Mitch Robinson said Oscar was fine just a bit sore.

May 28, 2007
Hobart
AFL Club
Hawthorn
good luck this week...

what happened to Jarrod Berry btw?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The Blues copping it from the Melbourne media, expecting them to put in a frantic effort this week, we should still take care of them reasonably comfortably though.

Even with an increased effort from Carlton if we play anywhere near the level we did on the weekend we'll get the chocolates. Still a bit nervy though & have flashbacks to 2019 lol.

We're not planning on wearing any commemorative guernsey recognizing one of the greats of the club to embarrass ourselves in are we?

I guess we'll find out in a few days if it was a real injury or they just wanted to keep him fresh for his run with role on Cripps on the weekend ;)
When I watched on the replay. It almost looked as though it was a pre-conceived management thing of Berry Senior.
But he did look a bit stiff when he walked onto the ground after the game.

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
When I watched on the replay. It almost looked as though it was a pre-conceived management thing of Berry Senior.
But he did look a bit stiff when he walked onto the ground after the game.

That's because we're thorough with our deception ;)

Don't forget to look injured when you're walking around after the game...

I guess we'll find out in a few days if it was a real injury or they just wanted to keep him fresh for his run with role on Cripps on the weekend ;)

If not Berry "Ely the enforcer" will be debuting to stop Cripps on his tracks :tearsofjoy:

FFB1

Premiership Player
Feb 25, 2007
Melbourne Vic
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Boronia Hawks
If not Berry "Ely the enforcer" will be debuting to stop Cripps on his tracks :tearsofjoy:

Did Ely hurt his ankle in the VFL? Didn’t watch it, just read it.

Nightmares from a couple of years back when we were plenty up at half time and they ran right over the top of us. Cripps did as he pleased. Not the same Cripps this year, Walsh has overtaken him.

$1.62 head to head.

Carlton copping a hammering in the media tonight, will be fired up.

Yes alas every sports news story is about Carlton in Melbourne - including “Teague coaching for his career” by reporters and ”Twenty years of rubbish” from Mark McClure which is really annoying when we’re playing them this week! Expect a fired up group of Carlton players and hypo aggro Carlton supporters........we will really need to be on our game this week - bit worried about this one.

Wilbur23

Cancelled
Mar 1, 2021
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Send Neale to Cripps or Walsh and just let them go head to head. If they are so keen on wanting to lock down on Neale then in return lock down hard on the fraud that is Cripps.

Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
Yes alas every sports news story is about Carlton in Melbourne - including “Teague coaching for his career” by reporters and ”Twenty years of rubbish” from Mark McClure which is really annoying when we’re playing them this week! Expect a fired up group of Carlton players and hypo aggro Carlton supporters........we will really need to be on our game this week - bit worried about this one.

Yeah ....agree.

Last time we played them in Melbourne in 2019 , they were a rabble too.

Just sacked their coach, had been playing like shyte and duly played like even worse shyte for a quarter and a half.

I was there and from memory it was 43-4 to us and cruising.

Then Bang!!!!!....

We lost

They are a weird bunch of players. If they get on a roll, they can almost be irresistible or they can play like total crap and sulk.

It's mainly about how well we play but not totally.

It's also about which Carlton turns up and for how long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back