Review Round 6, 2021 - Carlton vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Carlton?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Our forward line is not exactly firing with the addition of Daniher either.

I don't understand this line of thinking. Definitely still a work in progress, but to me the early returns have been pretty promising. Joe coming in has done wonders for Eric. A bit of work to do to get Charlie going but I think Joe playing ruck the last two weeks has actually helped quite a bit and let us rotate to have charlie one out deep from time to time. When that isn't our default option but is another weapon for us, that is a good thing, and teams can't roll guns like Grimes/May onto him consistently with Joe in the lineup.

The issue all season has been in the middle of the ground. When we've evened the contest, we've scored more than enough.

I don't understand this line of thinking. Definitely still a work in progress, but to me the early returns have been pretty promising. Joe coming in has done wonders for Eric. A bit of work to do to get Charlie going but I think Joe playing ruck the last two weeks has actually helped quite a bit and let us rotate to have charlie one out deep from time to time. When that isn't our default option but is another weapon for us, that is a good thing, and teams can't roll guns like Grimes/May onto him consistently with Joe in the lineup.

The issue all season has been in the middle of the ground. When we've evened the contest, we've scored more than enough.
We've also had McCarthy ,Prior ,McStay and even Ah Chee chip in for goals. Plus Zorks ,Neale ,Clug and Lyons in the M/F. Occasional bomb from Rich . Oscar is capable of kicking goals.

So we have many avenues to score and it's all about getting sufficient forward entries and trying to keep it in there at all costs.

I agree, still wouldn’t say it is firing though.

Just on the amount of time Daniher spent in the ruck, I had assumed that it was as high as it was largely because Oscar might have still been playing through pain. I know we plan to use Joe as our second ruck throughout the season, but it felt like he might have spent more time in that role on Saturday than he usually would to help ease Oscar's load.

Just on the amount of time Daniher spent in the ruck, I had assumed that it was as high as it was largely because Oscar might have still been playing through pain. I know we plan to use Joe as our second ruck throughout the season, but it felt like he might have spent more time in that role on Saturday than he usually would to help ease Oscar's load.
I like the balance we’ve struck the last two weeks. Joe was starting to play frustrated footy as a deep forward (particularly with the way we were missing him on the lead) and Oscar has copped some knocks. Playing them more 70/30 than 90/10 has really worked for both I think.

Who are the gun forwards he's shutting down?

Do you feel comfortable putting him on Rozee, Fantasia or Gray this week?
Unless all of sudden Luke Hodge or Chris Johnson are back, yes I am. Who is this hidden gun back an we are bringing in to stop Robbie Gray? I don’t know what more Lester can do but play solid mistake free footy every week.

Unless all of sudden Luke Hodge or Chris Johnson are back, yes I am. Who is this hidden gun back an we are bringing in to stop Robbie Gray? I don’t know what more Lester can do but play solid mistake free footy every week.

Mistake free is a bit over the top. Usually doesn’t play on all that dangerous forwards. If not a lot is being asked from you then we need more than solid.

Carlton v Brisbane - Coach Votes

10 Hugh McCluggage (BL)
8 Harrison McKay (CARL)
6 Dayne Zorko (BL)
4 Samuel Walsh (CARL)
1 Brandon Starcevich (BL)
1 Ed Curnow (CARL)

”Walsh was better than McCluggage!!!” - every Blues fan

You just have to love Eddie's hypocrisy. I remember years ago Eddie defending his one eyed commentary during a Collingwood interstate game. His justification for it at the time was that it was a commentators job to raise his voice when a traveling team scored, or had an exiting piece of play to compensate for the lack of crowd noise from the home state spectators. He should have been screaming the roof down whenever the lions did anything positive.

I don't usually notice the commentators much but they were extremely biased yesterday.
Funny you mention something like this. I watched the mini highlights of our game where foxtel do a 20min highlights package of each game and all the goals. Everytime Carlton kicked a goal the commentators voices skyrocketed but everytime we kicked a goal it was the normal commentary. Only once they got abit excited when we kicked a goal and pretty sure it was ED who called Charlie for the goal but it was Ah Chee. Very flat they were when we kicked goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

pretty sure it was ED who called Charlie for the goal but it was Ah Chee

I noticed this one too. If he hadn't been stuffing up white players' names all day, we could have added to his rap sheet.

I must admit i have been surprised seeing the amount of game time Daniher is playing in ruck and up the ground but i am liking it. He is obviously in peak condition ( touch wood) to play the role he is playing and obviously this is a role he obviously would have spoken with Fagan about what he wanted to do?
Just gives more dimensions in our set IMO. Still giving the opportunity for Oscar to go forward and clunk a mark is critical for us us as well. Obviously McStay will need to pick up abit as he did not contest very well at all with Jones in a couple of contests in the last quarter but hoping that is just abit of fitness because he was working up the ground a fair bit during the game.

I noticed this one too. If he hadn't been stuffing up white players' names all day, we could have added to his rap sheet.
I'm half a forgive on Ed on that one because it was a trifle hard to pick up who it was in the kerfuffle.

But on the other hand if you don't se it don't call it.

The only player of ours the commentators were pleading for to do something was Charlie . Because everyone knows Charlie.

And Rich's canon left foot. It's a canon if you weren't aware before.

Just on the commentators I swear I heard Dwayne say something like "that's a free kick!" then a second later "it's at least a 50" about a Blues player,but could have misheard him

Just came to pay respects to Lachie Neale. Bloody tough bugger, playing through that ankle and contributing to the win.

Mistake free is a bit over the top. Usually doesn’t play on all that dangerous forwards. If not a lot is being asked from you then we need more than solid.
Out of all the players that have played 6 games only Linc and Starc have had less ‘clangers’ so pretty good I would suggest. That does not take into account the blocks, smothers and knocking the ball to advantage he does every week. AFL have non dangerous forwards? What you want him to play on Buddy, McKay or Lynch so he can be more than solid? Why would he take the most dangerous forwards when we have Harris, Adam’s and Dizzy.? So who you bringing in for him this week then?

10 Hugh McCluggage (BL)
8 Harrison McKay (CARL)
6 Dayne Zorko (BL)
4 Samuel Walsh (CARL)
1 Ed Curnow (CARL)

Even though it's just noise, I found it irksome that Eddie referred to Walsh at least once as "a young SOUP-erstar" and I'm pretty sure, elevated him to an outright "SOUP-erstar" at some stage, while hardly mentioning the clear best player on the ground.....Hugh Suitcase.

So relieved that Carlton didn't beat us.....Walsh would have been canonised by Eddie and Co.

Don't get me wrong.....I think Walsh is a fine player.

It's just that the bias and the one way hyperbole really are an insult to the viewer's intellegence.

And don't get me started on the shameless barracking for McKay

The "HARRRREEEEEEE!!!!" cheer-leading every time he even attempted a mark was laughably unprofessional.

Last edited:

10 Hugh McCluggage (BL)
8 Harrison McKay (CARL)
6 Dayne Zorko (BL)
4 Samuel Walsh (CARL)
1 Ed Curnow (CARL)

McCluggage now sits inside the top 10 for coaches votes after that game 👌

That was his best performance of his career in my opinion, his evasiveness in traffic and delivery to our forwards was elite. If he can repeat that form consistently look out!!

Back