Review Round 6, 2021 - Carlton vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Carlton?

Ralphy2017

Jul 16, 2017
For me- Payne and Answerth miss out, Adam is a massive upgrade on Payne and Answerth has not done anything to go pass Lester.
Are you judging Adams on his lack of consistent games in over 2 seasons at our club, and 3 operations, OR his good game in 2019 against Geelong, his last Q: against Collingwood this year and two good recent games against (Essendon and Carlton) sides that won't make the top 8? I don't see how he is a massive upgrade.

For me I rather see the potential in Payne in his 4th or 5th game in the Prelim last year against Geelong and his reasonable form in the first three rounds this year. For all we know he may have been playing injured as he is out for about 5 to 6 weeks with some type of foot injury. Keeping Rohan goalless at Geelong, in round 2 is not easy to do. Makes the odd mistake but very accountable to his man and has the speed to recover. According to media reports 'Dogs' were after him last year, so a top side on the way up must see some potential in him.

Answerth obviously been injured, and at this stage agree will not go past Lester, but I believe he has upside and offers slightly more than Lester, with some flexibility regarding slightly faster forwards, and does provide some run out of the backline, just needs to slightly improve his disposal at times, but that will improve.

Ralphy2017

Jul 16, 2017
Out of all the players that have played 6 games only Linc and Starc have had less ‘clangers’ so pretty good I would suggest. That does not take into account the blocks, smothers and knocking the ball to advantage he does every week. AFL have non dangerous forwards? What you want him to play on Buddy, McKay or Lynch so he can be more than solid? Why would he take the most dangerous forwards when we have Harris, Adam’s and Dizzy.? So who you bringing in for him this week then?
Lester obviously plays this week, with injuries, but like in round 1 against Swans when Heeney outplayed him, there are 3 small and fast Port forwards will pose a real challenge to him.

Ralphy2017

Jul 16, 2017
Well unless Starc moves up to the wing, Answerth misses out then, although I think he is injured and probably needs a few games in the ressies.

Although I don't have as much knowledge as many on this forum, I think I have a basic understanding of the roles and some of the strengths of Rich and Birchall, Gardner, Payne/Adams and Andrews (although changed slightly with the faster game and Andrews struggling a little at the moment), However I cannot work out Lester's role. Does not take the monster or tall forwards nor the best forwards, lack of pace is a liability, so is restricted on the nimble smalls, and does not provide penetrating kicks or run out of defence. After playing a few years in the NEAFL, he got his opportunity last year when Adams was injured and acknowledge he has performed OK, and no doubt those that matter see him doing his role.

Jan 9, 2019
I reckon Answerth is competing for Starce's spot, not Lester's. Very different players.
It's not about competing for a team mates spot....its about matching up the opposition with players who can best compete. This week against Port, we need defenders who are quick. Unfortunately Lester isn't fast on his feet and in my opinion should be replaced by Answerth providing he is fit & good to go.

royboys4eva

Nov 27, 2006
Melbourne - once Darwin.
No way Lester gets dropped. They will find a match up for him. Especially with Gardiner out. Froggy has been outstanding down back this year and done the job every week without fuss. If it's going to be wet he will be as important as ever.

Tom Berry needs to be in starting 22 this week after his outstanding attack on the ball last week - was a pleasure to watch him live. Does a lot of little things that can go unnoticed on TV.

If its going to be wet then perhaps its time to once again unleash the Beast Mode. Need him to win some clearances and stop Ollie Wines from dominating.

Hoping J.Berry gets up - he needs to make the most of Neale being out and establish himself in the midfield - needs a good sustained run without injury.

The wet weather will be a bonus for us and our bigger bodies and how we attack the contest. We have matched up well on Port the last few years. Our tall forwards have caused them issues.

Apr 4, 2015
Mighty Lions I agree if your playing sides with quick smalls.. You need to match up on them.
No idea where Answerth is on form or body.
I'm worried about our current defensive set up against PA and they'll be looking to exploit these matchups with their quick clever players.

Answerth is the only in that could make much difference if he's ready.

Jan 9, 2019
No way Lester gets dropped. They will find a match up for him. Especially with Gardiner out. Froggy has been outstanding down back this year and done the job every week without fuss. If it's going to be wet he will be as important as ever.

Tom Berry needs to be in starting 22 this week after his outstanding attack on the ball last week - was a pleasure to watch him live. Does a lot of little things that can go unnoticed on TV.

If its going to be wet then perhaps its time to once again unleash the Beast Mode. Need him to win some clearances and stop Ollie Wines from dominating.

Hoping J.Berry gets up - he needs to make the most of Neale being out and establish himself in the midfield - needs a good sustained run without injury.

The wet weather will be a bonus for us and our bigger bodies and how we attack the contest. We have matched up well on Port the last few years. Our tall forwards have caused them issues.
Lester needs to match up on either Fantasia/Gray/Rozee or Motlop. Which one do you think he is best suited to?

No way has he been outstanding this year but in some contests he has been good. I just cant see him fitting in the line up with the small & quick Port forwards this week....wet or dry he will get found out early.

jackess

30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
I think our backline should consist of 3 of Andrews, Gardiner, Adams, Payne and Lester, 2 of Starcevich, Answerth and Ah Chee and 2 of Rich, Birchall and Ah Chee

Writing this you realise how important Rich is

Gardiner Andrews Adams/Payne (try and free up Andrews while the others lockdown)
Answerth Rich Starcevich (Rich distributor, Answerth lockdown, Starcevich to be used more as a distributor)
and Ah Chee (flexible)

Lester can play one of Gardiner, Adams or Starcevichs roles

royboys4eva

Nov 27, 2006
Melbourne - once Darwin.
Lester needs to match up on either Fantasia/Gray/Rozee or Motlop. Which one do you think he is best suited to?

No way has he been outstanding this year but in some contests he has been good. I just cant see him fitting in the line up with the small & quick Port forwards this week....wet or dry he will get found out early.

He has done his job every week - how many times has he been beaten in a marking contest by his opponent this year? I would have him in the side before Birchall. He won't be on any of the above - he will be on the the third tall - Marshall / Georgiades.

You weren't happy with people having a crack at Harris Andrews which is fair enough - you have just had a nice dig at Lester.

Quigley

Sep 23, 2006
Bangalla
Are you judging Adams on his lack of consistent games in over 2 seasons at our club, and 3 operations, OR his good game in 2019 against Geelong, his last Q: against Collingwood this year and two good recent games against (Essendon and Carlton) sides that won't make the top 8? I don't see how he is a massive upgrade.

For me I rather see the potential in Payne in his 4th or 5th game in the Prelim last year against Geelong and his reasonable form in the first three rounds this year. For all we know he may have been playing injured as he is out for about 5 to 6 weeks with some type of foot injury. Keeping Rohan goalless at Geelong, in round 2 is not easy to do. Makes the odd mistake but very accountable to his man and has the speed to recover. According to media reports 'Dogs' were after him last year, so a top side on the way up must see some potential in him.

Answerth obviously been injured, and at this stage agree will not go past Lester, but I believe he has upside and offers slightly more than Lester, with some flexibility regarding slightly faster forwards, and does provide some run out of the backline, just needs to slightly improve his disposal at times, but that will improve.

I find it interesting that people are somehow seeing Adams as really solid with the ball and Payne as error prone. Stats actually show the complete opposite and personally I much prefer Payne with the ball in hand. He is much more solid, takes good options and is a calm presence back there.

in 4 games Adams has had 16 turnovers with 11 in the last 2 games and 15 clangers with 9 in the last two games. Payne in his three games had 4 turnovers and 1 clanger.

Jan 11, 2008
I find it interesting that people are somehow seeing Adams as really solid with the ball and Payne as error prone. Stats actually show the complete opposite and personally I much prefer Payne with the ball in hand. He is much more solid, takes good options and is a calm presence back there.

in 4 games Adams has had 16 turnovers with 11 in the last 2 games and 15 clangers with 9 in the last two games. Payne in his three games had 4 turnovers and 1 clanger.
Yes I certainly agree, a few times in the Carlton game when the pressure got to him he blindly bombed it out of the area from deep in defence. It was happening too often for mine.

jackess

30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005

Not sure I've ever seen someone think Adams is solid with the footy. Both he and Payne are poor and probably the worse in our defense.

Jul 21, 2018
I think Starc's importance to our defence goes unnoticed a fair bit. He doesn't look good on the stats sheet but he does a terrific job on the dangerous/quick forwards week in week out. His combination of speed, strength and physicality make him the perfect matchup for thise dangerous mid/small forwards. Without Starc I think we lack a suitable matchup for those types. Answerth being the next best thing.

Ralphy2017

Jul 16, 2017

I agree, he has been good in patches, but certainly not outstanding and because of Gardner's injury, Lester and Birchall will play and probably for the next few weeks. Hopefully as predicted it is wet, and can negate some of the danger of the above mentioned small port forwards.

Ralphy2017

Jul 16, 2017

The above stats are interesting, but sometimes can be misleading, but essentially it would appear that Adams is not a massive upgrade on Payne.
Perhaps depending on the opposition and the matchups both play, but probably unlikely.

Jan 9, 2019
He has done his job every week - how many times has he been beaten in a marking contest by his opponent this year? I would have him in the side before Birchall. He won't be on any of the above - he will be on the the third tall - Marshall / Georgiades.

You weren't happy with people having a crack at Harris Andrews which is fair enough - you have just had a nice dig at Lester.
WOW.... Read my reply mate and stop being blindly defensive of Lester. I'm not having a dig at Lester...I actually like what he brings in the 22 but this week I cant see him matching up with an opposing player that helps the team.

Oct 13, 2015
WOW.... Read my reply mate and stop being blindly defensive of Lester. I'm not having a dig at Lester...I actually like what he brings in the 22 but this week I cant see him matching up with an opposing player that helps the team.

Dizzy is going to miss automatically due to concussion. Port play 3 talls forward - Dixon, Marshall (198cm), and Georgiades (191/192). There is definitely a match up for him this week, but also a case to bring in another small defender to rotate onto fantasia/rozee/gray.

Froggy has also played ok on Robbie Gray recently (Gray doesn't have nearly as much zip as he used to). With Dizzy out I think there is a matchup somewhere for Froggy this week, though long term I don't want to play all over Harris, Adams, Dizzy and Lester.

davemc_lions

Aug 21, 2013
still think horses for courses, port have a few small quick forwards we need to match up on
Although depends where Answerth is.

Said last season will say again I think we need some speed in the backline.
Ah Chee not burst speed. I say him and Starc around the same pace.
Rich and Birchall not fast. Both good at getting into holes. Rich is in great form again.
Really need someone with burst speed in the backline.
Cockatoo I think we got in for that role he seems to be finding his feet still. Might be a month off.
Madden has speed not sure 1 on 1 defensivly
So depends where Answerth is.
He has not played might be underdone and no idea how the injury is back and groin? if I remember

royboys4eva

Nov 27, 2006
Melbourne - once Darwin.

Who is taking Marshall or Georgiades? Andrews will get Dixon. Also not being blind defensive just don't see why you drop a player who is doing his job week in week out and is well respected and leader on the field. Do you honestly think Fagan will drop him?

Jan 9, 2019
Who is taking Marshall or Georgiades? Andrews will get Dixon. Also not being blind defensive just don't see why you drop a player who is doing his job week in week out and is well respected and leader on the field. Do you honestly think Fagan will drop him?
Naah mate.... just trolling. :rolleyes:

Unlike you, I dont think he is doing his job every week &....I dont think him in defense this week is good for the team when you look at the speed of Ports forward line. That doesn't mean he's not right next week vs Freo.

He is well respected 100% but so is most of the list. And I wouldn't highlight him (as you do) as a leader on the field any more than the other 21 guys beside him each week.

royboys4eva

Nov 27, 2006
Melbourne - once Darwin.
Naah mate.... just trolling. :rolleyes:

Unlike you, I dont think he is doing his job every week &....I dont think him in defense this week is good for the team when you look at the speed of Ports forward line. That doesn't mean he's not right next week vs Freo.

He is well respected 100% but so is most of the list. And I wouldn't highlight him (as you do) as a leader on the field any more than the other 21 guys beside him each week.

should have ended it at the first sentence :)

Still haven't answered my question that I have asked twice? Who takes Marshall or Georgiades?