Autopsy Round 6 2021: Hawks comeback from 32pts down, defeat Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

the smallest 193cm player I have ever seen and he went alright for the Hawks from 2005 to 2017 or so. Scrimshaw is the reincarnation of Birchall and if he continues the development arc that had Birchall one of the least heralded but most damaging half backs in the game (thanks to the infatuation of the media with Mackie and Enright),
I use to think the same, but no longer do. Scrimshaw is a far more talented intercept marker than Birch. His kicking is good, but doesn't seem to get it as many times a game, and doesn't seem to make as many of those amazing kicks opening the game right up (maybe due to seeming to have less possessions). Both awesome players, but I think the comparison doesn't quite hold true any more.

Mrzohs

Premiership Player
Oct 9, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Agreed. Also missing Gunston, Sicily and Day has a huge impact on that lack of polish. All 3 are amongst our best decision makers and best kicks

Correct can't wait to get them on the park certainly affects our skill level and ability to hurt teams.
We need to be honest here Adelaide missing there two best mids and they touched us for a bit.
Moving fwd we need to focus on this aera and the ruck.

CHUBBSS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Thought it was a blessing in disguise with Burgoyne going down. Eventually forced Obrien out of the forward line and allowed Kozzi and Lewis to attack the ball better (The one thing that OBrien does well and frustrates everyone) is jump well at the ball, and he could do that in the back line.

Obrien is a crucial role player to this team and may offer more for defence with the modern rules, but especially out of the forward line allows the other forwards to hit the packs better. Obrien also a much better field kick then Hartigan, frost.

Even cousins coming in didn't offer a great deal but provided another runner to link with, the balance of the team seemed better.

Strange call but I wonder if Mcevoy could be the sub in games, he still remains the captain and captains from the bench and allows reeves to get some game time and he gets a rest.

Games like this you appreciate the development, can't wait to see some more throughout the year

Just quietly, if anyone can think of a more bizarre, incompetent decision than having an unfit, injured player as your injury sub, I'm keen to hear it.
I think they misinterpreted the injury sub concept and they thought he had to be injured to qualify?

Stottzy

Club Legend
Aug 5, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Is anyone else not overly impressed with Mitchell's game at the moment? I know he gets plenty, but I just think he is wasting stacks of it and his possessions slows us down. Either does a nothing sideways kick, or handballs to a player in traffic.

I actually thought Omeara, Worpel and Cousins worked well together in the last and probably won it for us. Mitchell's disposal and decision making is still way off 2018 form and is having those games opposition supporters love to heckle him bout. High possession, little impact.

Jun 11, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
GSW
Is anyone else not overly impressed with Mitchell's game at the moment? I know he gets plenty, but I just think he is wasting stacks of it and his possessions slows us down. Either does a nothing sideways kick, or handballs to a player in traffic.

I actually thought Omeara, Worpel and Cousins worked well together in the last and probably won it for us. Mitchell's disposal and decision making is still way off 2018 form and is having those games opposition supporters love to heckle him bout. High possession, little impact.

he had 7 tackles and 4 inside 50s, 10 contested disposals at 72%, so did other things too

I have to think part of JOM's excellent campaign thus far is partly due to Mitchell adapting to him and taking on a slightly different role (same with Worpel)

i thought Mitchell was really good in the 2nd half

his ball use and decision making isn't as good as it was in 18 but he's nowhere near being a liability

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Timo pez

Senior List
Aug 31, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He was good in defence today and okay as a forward. But there will not be a game where he goes forward and kicks a bag. Never has never will. Hasn't done it when we are good against poor sides, hasn't done it in the 2's in 10 goal wins. He is not a consistent goal kicker and cannot kick a big bag.

He has been serviceable as an intercept back, high forward and chop out ruck.

Jeka, Lewis and Kosi have already shown more goal kicking power than him. (i know Jeka hasn't played and may never kick an afl goal but O'Brien never tore the vfl apart like Jeka.
Kicking bags might not necessarily be the best way to judge him, If he can kick 2-3 on occasion supporting others talls, and can ruck and play like he did today in defence, it's pretty valuable.

Winged Fang

Debutant
Jul 24, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
Hawthorn

It’s not all bad, but certainly not all good. Better than 2020, but low base given his injury. Really dislike him demanding the footy when he is in no better position (and in some cases worse) than the player he’s getting it from. It did cook us a few times today, and in previous games.

But tend to agree with the above re JOM and Titch’s role. And he also does do some nice things - eg. lay off to Breust was great vision in a hot contest. Still feel like he’s finding his way back. Perhaps understandably?

Slow Love

I'm a lover, not a fighter
Jul 8, 2018
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Not really. He's pretty much our only elite player besides JOM with Sicily and Gunners out. Granted, he's no Sam Mitchell (the best decision-maker I've ever seen) but who is?

Timo pez

Senior List
Aug 31, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn

his numbers still a reflect a player that's performing well, but the injury has impacted heavily. He used to use evasion and smarts to find space, and lightning skills on the inside, but these days he's always under the pump and lacks power and speed to dispose once he's being tackled. clearly all this is affecting his confidence. Hopefully with the emergence of others it can take pressure off him and can get back to somewhere near his best

Dipper

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2000
London,England
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Allies FCC
At some point deep into the game we were way highest percentage for playing on of any side this year.

If we play like this for the rest of the year I'm fully onboard. Win or lose.

I reckon we'll learn more about our players too, at both ends of the ground.

The Kosi-Lewis show is exciting. If Lewis can become a more reliable set shot will go a long way.

Let's not drop Kosi again

Let's take it on every week.

On moto g(7) using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sep 14, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
A little note that our 4 losses have been against teams all in the top 7 positions on the ladder.

Not to say we're great, but we've had a tough draw so far.

That is true, but if we were any good we wouldn’t let the crows kick 10 goals in a quarter, continuing an ugly trend from most of our games. The green shoots for this team are there, but we just don’t bat deep enough, or have enough quality, to be consistent or to challenge the good teams for 4 quarters. This year has to be about building the team coherency and seeing which players can take the next step - like cj. I love clarko but it took him too long to move on from ceglar. I just hope he is not too cautious in providing opportunities.

At some point deep into the game we were way highest percentage for playing on of any side this year.

If we play like this for the rest of the year I'm fully onboard. Win or lose.

I reckon we'll learn more about our players too, at both ends of the ground.

The Kosi-Lewis show is exciting. If Lewis can become a more reliable set shot will go a long way.

Let's not drop Kosi again

Let's take it on every week.

On moto g(7) using BigFooty.com mobile app
Let me save u the trouble we wont play like today every week. Other teams just wont allow it. We will try and we may see some glimpses but we r a fair way off playing like we did today consistently. It wont be because we havent tried to. It is just where we r as a team.

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
Seen at least one Crows supporter pot the umpires for not allowing the Himmelberg goal. Not sure what he was watching as that was the easiest decision an umpire had to make in years.
Easy call as his eyes never looked back at the incoming ball. That is one thing he needed to do which the umpire would’ve been looking for.

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Let me save u the trouble we wont play like today every week. Other teams just wont allow it. We will try and we may see some glimpses but we r a fair way off playing like we did today consistently. It wont be because we havent tried to. It is just where we r as a team.
Adelaide are not very good defensively. There was a lot of long and direct play by both sides which spaced both defences and made it easier to rebound quickly than normal. Was good to see we can execute it under a little less pressure but we won’t have it so easy most weeks. Good platform to build on.

Lickmesocks

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I use to think the same, but no longer do. Scrimshaw is a far more talented intercept marker than Birch. His kicking is good, but doesn't seem to get it as many times a game, and doesn't seem to make as many of those amazing kicks opening the game right up (maybe due to seeming to have less possessions). Both awesome players, but I think the comparison doesn't quite hold true any more.

Scrimshaw has had an injury riddled career so far and played 30 odd games.

He is a ripper and will be every bit as good as Birch if he can get a run at it.

He is not and never been a lockdown tall defender.

kawker

Debutant
Jun 11, 2007
Blackburn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Today although we won is a good reason to reflect why probably more than half of our team won't exist if we make top 4, at the moment, apart from CJ we have nothing at all that is a difference maker for a GF. In saying that I loved Kosi's game and have love his non scoring goal games too. And that is simply because he runs the team lines and Nevr plays for himself. We have Brownlow medalists doing the opposite in general... second half today perhaps not.

We watched Morrison have his worst game for the season, Moore I love his endeavor but he's 5'8 at best and slow was terrible. If that's your future where do you go. Ollie had possies early but yeah short guy unable to tackle too weak. Cousins showed why Howe is a better option was horrid. Mitchell was pantsed in the first half Shiels was too. At half time I had two good midfielders JOM and Phillips. That was it. But miraculously we'd had the same number of shots. Our Ruck is cooked and Ceglar shouldn't come back.

So how did we win? Well Adelaide are overrated that helps. TOM turned up in the second half. TOB went to defence. Other below average midfielders became average midfielders so we broke even. BUT this was not a turn in our stocks except perhaps Kosi. We've seen CJ be good, we've seen TOB be a good defender years ago but our forward line is so broken he plays there.

The best we got out of today was fight and Kosi delivering in a real game. The rest was nice but seen b4 in individual games.

...... or you!!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back