Autopsy Round 6 2021: Hawks comeback from 32pts down, defeat Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Billyc

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
How's it been good? Hawthorn have been better at clawing back leads than the average team this year, but most of the rest have let margins get away from them. To me floggings don't make for good watching and there have already been plenty this season, imagine what it'll be like when 10 teams put their cue in the rack.
In my view goals are entertaining, quick forward entries are entertaining, key forwards kicking goals is entertaining. That’s the game I loved for years and have missed.

The last couple years have been the worst footy I have ever seen. I struggled to watch the sport last year. I found it horrid. But that’s my view. I am enjoying the brand of footy being played this year much more than the low scoring scrum Richmond brought us.

Biggest beneficiary on our list of the rule change has been CJ with his willingness to play on from marks and run to receive and create. He’s the most exciting thing about Hawthorn, to me anyway. And the rule change has helped with that

Hawker55

Club Legend
Mar 17, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Everton, Denver Broncos
Agree. If you can’t kick, in the future we should pass on recruiting many of these type of players unless there work-rate & pressure is A-grade. Elite kicking is the key to success. I’m honestly not seeing the green shoots. Overall our recruiting & trading has been very ordinary since the end of the 2016 season.

You do realise kicking is something that can improve with practice? Especially field kicking.

Jaeger top 10 in the leaderboard now for coaches votes.

23F70B77-19CC-4215-8BE5-D91610C4F785.jpeg

Sep 14, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Personally I think they just should have kicked straighter.

We’ve been on the end of so many bad decisions this year that I’ve become desensitised to it. Looked like front on contact but Himmelberg seemed to have eyes for the ball.

I reckon we did pretty well, for a f&&rkin chance (!) so can understand their angst, although I thought the front on one was a clear free kick.

Tilthorpe no doubt to be the rising star nom and super deserving, well done to him. Amazing debut.

However……..Kos kicked just as many goals and had more coaches votes and has only played 5 games. Getting zero cred.
Just a hunch that he actually may have got the nomination as the Hawks social media accounts have been a bit quiet today for a team that just won.

smeltitdeltit

Premiership Player
Jul 2, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Just a hunch that he actually may have got the nomination as the Hawks social media accounts have been a bit quiet today for a team just won.
Ahh. Right. Looks Tillthorpes debut was incredible and super happy for the lad. Makes sense though as RS should be over a (limited) body of work.

My comment was more about media in general vs the award.

PT Bar None

Banal Chaos
Cake Connoisseur
Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The Crows board are screaming about being robbed by the umps, I honestly didn't see that. Think they are referring to the front on contact decision that got us that late free kick. Looked like an obvious free to me? Thoughts?

Some Crows fans are still howling about the umpiring in the 2012 Preliminary Final...

But a less facetious response is that practically every game these days throws up decisions that you can find examples where they have and have not been paid in the past. Such is the state of the modern games rules and umpiring.

The litmus test is usually "How would I feel if Hawthorn was on the receiving end of this decision?". In the front on contact where the ball dribbled through for the go-ahead goal that was waved off - I would probably be howling at the forward for a panicked attempt at spoiling. That happens anywhere else on the ground and noone is talking about it. But it happened late, prevented a goal and the margin was < a goal - so here we are.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

theiaofseed

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Tilthorpe no doubt to be the rising star nom and super deserving, well done to him. Amazing debut.

However……..Kos kicked just as many goals and had more coaches votes and has only played 5 games. Getting zero cred.
They tend to avoid giving high draft picks early nominations as theyre likely to get another and can always get the "body of work" nomination at the end of the year

Kozie a big chance

Edit: A really big chance

I’ve no problem with crow supporters complaining about the umps - we’ve done the same in here every week this season

whether it’s right or wrong they are just going to have to suck it up, the same way we have for the last DECADE

theiaofseed

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I’ve no problem with crow supporters complaining about the umps - we’ve done the same in here every week this season

whether it’s right or wrong they are just going to have to suck it up, the same way we have for the last DECADE
What about the umpiring?

Apr 1, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Everton FC
I'm sorry Scrimshaw not even in the same league as birch at this stage long way to go for the young man. Birch was one of the best half back flankers we have had​
Agreed. Birchall was an amazing player. IMO he was our 2nd most consistent player (behind Mitchell) over that glorious period.

He also seemed to have the least amount of turnovers over that period. When did you ever think...bad kick by Birchall? It's because it rarely ever happened.

Yes Scrimshaw is a much better mark than Birchall but that's about where it ends atm. Scrim has a LONG way to go to be compared to Birch. Let's hope he continues to improve.

Birchall is the most underrated HBF to have played the game (from the wider AFL community and amongst many Hawks fans tbh).

Edit: He also was one tough unit Birch. Some great hip and shoulders over the years.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Last edited:
If my memory serves me correctly, we gave up Mozzie for Kozzie.
I know Mozzie is injured, but credit where it's due... Well done Hawks!
Incorrect.

We didn’t rate Mozzie at whatever pick he was taken.

Incorrect.

We didn’t rate Mozzie at whatever pick he was taken.
Whilst what you say is essentially true, I do recall that Koz was in our sights. To say we didn't rate Mozzie at the pick he was taken, also begs the question whether we would have rated him at any pick down to where Koz was taken.

We took Koz as 52. What if Sydney had bid on Moz at 51? We don't know the answer, but I would be prepared to take a little punt that we would still have passed and taken Koz, believing Moz was worth a late pick only.

SO when it all boils down to it, we passed on Moz because we had other plans, including selecting Koz.

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Whilst what you say is essentially true, I do recall that Koz was in our sights. To say we didn't rate Mozzie at the pick he was taken, also begs the question whether we would have rated him at any pick down to where Koz was taken.

We took Koz as 52. What if Sydney had bid on Moz at 51? We don't know the answer, but I would be prepared to take a little punt that we would still have passed and taken Koz, believing Moz was worth a late pick only.

SO when it all boils down to it, we passed on Moz because we had other plans, including selecting Koz.
We rated Kozi a mid 20s pick in our order apparently.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back