kenneje

Premiership Player
Apr 25, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
I just finished rewatching the game.

4th quarter was even more impressive than it felt to me at the time - the ball barely left our forward 50 the entire quarter, and when it did, Frost or O’Brien stood up in 1 on 1 contests.

Cousins had a great final quarter.
Busted his arse to get up and down the ground and to be an outlet for Jaeger/Worpel/Shiels/Mitchell.
Think he has a role in the side like Dunkley does at the doggies (they even look similar).
Inside mid/roaming half forward that racks up the contested and uncontested pill, tackles hard and scores a goal a game.

Worpel was great as the resident midfielder down back. Obviously has a tight bond with Scrimshaw and CJ (seen them out together multiple times), and their chemistry on ground showed.

McEvoy I thought had a shocking start to the game, but played like a real captain in that last quarter. Screaming at players to get in position and hold the line. The result was 16 inside 50s to 5 at one stage, and we could have been 6 goals up easily.

Finally, Maginness. Couldn’t get his hands on the ball that much (Jaeger was possessed), but remarkably found himself at just about every contest on the ground. Has some serious speed and reads the game well. Just needs confidence and match conditioning.

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Whilst what you say is essentially true, I do recall that Koz was in our sights. To say we didn't rate Mozzie at the pick he was taken, also begs the question whether we would have rated him at any pick down to where Koz was taken.

We took Koz as 52. What if Sydney had bid on Moz at 51? We don't know the answer, but I would be prepared to take a little punt that we would still have passed and taken Koz, believing Moz was worth a late pick only.

SO when it all boils down to it, we passed on Moz because we had other plans, including selecting Koz.
There was about 12 picks in between mozzie and our pick. You have to figure we rated at least 12 others higher than mozzie that were still in the draft. Likly we only considered mozzie a rookie pick and so wouldn’t have taken him in the draft at all.

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
There was about 12 picks in between mozzie and our pick. You have to figure we rated at least 12 others higher than mozzie that were still in the draft. Likly we only considered mozzie a rookie pick and so wouldn’t have taken him in the draft at all.
Correct. Was rated as a rookie pick.

That Thilthorpe debut really was something rather good.
if only you could be as positive about Kozi's performance instead of potting our players who were under par.

Well done kozzie, well done!
Wasn't that well done, he missed a couple he should have kicked, and he almost dropped that mark over the boundary line and he'll be 30 in a few years.

(How am I doing? Have I got it right?)

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
Now first and foremost I want to say that it was enjoyable to see two likely bottom 6 sides take the game on and go for it as opposed to turning it into a dour struggle. I prefer to see us taking the game on today even if it resulted in some poor turnovers that gave up easy goals. I did think we'd be made to pay for missing so many chances in the first 15 mins of the last quarter but nice to see the team I think deserved to get the win get the points in the end.

Credit to Clarkson today and TOB for the move of him to the backline which was absolutely crucial to us getting the points today, it really stemmed the bleeding of the crows dominance in the air.

From about the halfway point of the 2nd half I want to give credit to the midfield, they really lifted especially in the last quarter when it seemed we were kicking to the non scoring end, though Jaeger in particular was absolutely fantastic. Jaeger seems like he must have improved his fitness base with how many contests he managed to get to in the last quarter.

Lovely to see Kosi have a day like he had in the pre season as it should do the world of good for his confidence and really boost morale, hopefully he can keep plugging away and continue to develop.

On the negative side of the coin I thought Scrim had a stinker ( or be it undersized), Hartigan looked poor, Morrison very quiet, Moore non existent, Big boy struggled for the most part, Phillips is so one sided and a poor decision maker, Cousins didn't grasp his chance although had a good last quarter and Wingard pretty quiet.

Anyways Hawkers enjoy the night after another comeback win, credit where it's due 2 comeback wins from 30+ down is a rare trait for a bottom side.

Read through the thread properly Holy Rioli, or didn't it suit the agenda ?

Feb 10, 2008
Hobart
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
DCowboys, ManU, Celtics, Blackhawks
I just finished rewatching the game.

4th quarter was even more impressive than it felt to me at the time - the ball barely left our forward 50 the entire quarter, and when it did, Frost or O’Brien stood up in 1 on 1 contests.

Cousins had a great final quarter.
Busted his arse to get up and down the ground and to be an outlet for Jaeger/Worpel/Shiels/Mitchell.

Think he has a role in the side like Dunkley does at the doggies (they even look similar).
Inside mid/roaming half forward that racks up the contested and uncontested pill, tackles hard and scores a goal a game.

Worpel was great as the resident midfielder down back. Obviously has a tight bond with Scrimshaw and CJ (seen them out together multiple times), and their chemistry on ground showed.

McEvoy I thought had a shocking start to the game, but played like a real captain in that last quarter. Screaming at players to get in position and hold the line. The result was 16 inside 50s to 5 at one stage, and we could have been 6 goals up easily.

Finally, Maginness. Couldn’t get his hands on the ball that much (Jaeger was possessed), but remarkably found himself at just about every contest on the ground. Has some serious speed and reads the game well. Just needs confidence and match conditioning.

Busted his arse all day from my view point, just didn't get used as much in the first three quarters. Impressed me with his work rate. I hadn't noticed this from him before, although to be fair I haven't seen him play live too often.

LMGjr

Cancelled
Jul 25, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Had to get to hospital for a family member 10 minutes before the start - haven't seen it or read a single thing about it as only just got home - can anyone fill me in since I'm to stressed and tied to read through 20 pages atm?

Thanks in advance.

Had to get to hospital for a family member 10 minutes before the start - haven't seen it or read a single thing about it as only just got home - can anyone fill me in since I'm to stressed and tied to read through 20 pages atm?

Thanks in advance.
Q1: Hot start, Kosi kicks 3 of his 5 goals.
Q2: Crows go nuts kicking a 10 goals straight (6 unanswered), Thilthorpe kicks 3 of his 5 goals.
Q3: TOB swings back and we rally to bring margin back within a couple goals.
Q4: Get back the lead early, then dominate play but fail to convert. Manage to hold on for a 3 point win.

Q1: Hot start, Kosi kicks 3 of his 5 goals.
Q2: Crows go nuts kicking a 10 goals straight (6 unanswered), Thilthorpe kicks 3 of his 5 goals.
Q3: TOB swings back and we rally to bring margin back within a couple goals.
Q4: Get back the lead early, then dominate play but fail to convert. Manage to hold on for a 3 point win.

20 pages in a nutshell;)

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
TOB going back made a difference, but he wasn’t doing a lot of interesting on the last line in q4 cos hawks had it bottled in the F50 most of the quarter. They did take two essential marks late in D50 though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
Starting to wonder if grumbleguts is human or simply just a bot Judd2Sewell

Whatever he is, he's not half as clever as he thinks he is. Having said that, it's been about a week now since he last reminded us of how intelligent he is... Maybe he's finally figured it out.

Last edited:

Rocket72

Club Legend
Oct 16, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Anyone notice how frustrated Wingard was getting? He was annoyed at not being used, sometimes he had a point, mostly he just expected the ball to come to him just because he called. I haven't seen him play enough to know whether he always does that? Or was there something about this game? I'm hoping he was just really eager to do well.

Starting to wonder if grumbleguts is human or simply just a bot Judd2Sewell
Since this entire site thinks jud2sewell is just an alt account of yours you probably don't think that at all.

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
Re-watched the final quarter. Cousins was absolutely massive. Watching it in real time with the nerves made it hard to recognise individual brilliance aside from particular moments. Impey, Hardwick, O'Meara, Kosi and Cousins looked like our only 5 players for about 10 minutes at one point.

The play in particular that lead to the Kosi 'juggle' mark near the boundary line showed for me why Cuz should be in the side going forward. He started just behind centre wing and got the jets on (ones I swear i'd never seem from him before) and got involved in a chain of possession leading to that short left foot kick to Kosi. He ran about 80 metres getting involved with the footy multiple times, burning opponents and ultimately giving us a shot at goal. It was sensational and unfortunately probably a little forgotten amongst the chaos of the final term.

Read through the thread properly Holy Rioli, or didn't it suit the agenda ?
even in that post you spent more time potting under performers instead of enjoying the successes of our great individual performances. Wouldn't call it a glowing endorsement of you trying to post something balanced.

By all means you have every right to be critical, but take a moment to enjoy life and enjoy the simple things about our club too, you'll feel a lot better.

Since this entire site thinks jud2sewell is just an alt account of yours you probably don't think that at all.

Haha, my thoughts exactly!
Has anyone seen Hodgeroad and jud2sewell in the same place at the same time?

if so, it would be a pretty miserable place!

;)

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
Haha, my thoughts exactly!
Has anyone seen Hodgeroad and jud2sewell in the same place at the same time?

if so, it would be a pretty miserable place!

;)

Ah yes, because our opinions on football are different to yours we must be miserable. That definitely makes sense.

Having said that I'd rather be around someone that's miserable than someone who has an incessant, transparent and condescending need to tell people that he's definitely intelligent. You just have to believe him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back