Preview Round 6 2021: Hawks v Crows, UTAS, Sunday 25th April @ 12:30pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We played a small lineup last week with just the two key backs, Hartigan and Frost, and two key forwards, TOB and Kosi. Hartigan also relieved Big Boy in the ruck. I expect Lewis to return which will help take the pressure off Kosi and allow TOB to play the 2nd/3rd tall which he's more suited to and also help out Big Boy in the ruck. Cousins deserves a game and while his disposal can let him down he knows how to find the footy in space and is good form.

Not sure who goes out though. Howe/Nash? Phillips also underwhelming of late and could be under pressure to hold his spot. Tough call for match committee with Nash who was poor but dropping him could effectively stamp his papers. I expect him to be given another chance
Cousins disposal looked pretty good last season especially delivering inside 50.

Our first five games have been a tough start but 5 of the next 6 aren't so I think now we will start to see where we are in the pack.
Thoughts:
Worpel will be a tagger for the rest of the year, takes him out of the competition for spots in the middle and JOM is in for a big year so give him space.
Blessing that Cegs is injured (bad yes but you know what I mean), bring in Reeves now as a forward pocket that plays 25% to 30% ruck against the second ruck.
Love Moore but if Clarko isn't going to give him midfield or stoppage time its time to bring in Cousins.
Nash was poo, sloppy running down the leg poo. Jeka in for him.
Yeah Timmy was ok but just that and the unpredictable brain farts are just too often.

OUT: TOB, Kosi, Moore, Nash
IN: Lewis, Reeves, Cousins, Jeka

Why would you drop our leading goal kicker who is playing 80% time up forward to bring in Cousins to play midfield but still retain Howe? Just out of curiosity.
Swap Moore with Howe and I could almost get behind those changes. (TOB stays though as ruck relief).

I really hope the lads get a win this week.

I have been critical of some of the team selections and overly defensive coaching but I can't question the effort the players have bought for the majority of the games.

Really feel they need a win as just reward for all their efforts and playing a lower ranked side down at Launceston (where our defensive style is suited to the ground and conditions) has to be a good chance.

If they lose a 5th game in a row we are getting into dangerous territory and loss of confidence could snowball big time.

Our first five games have been a tough start but 5 of the next 6 aren't so I think now we will start to see where we are in the pack.
Thoughts:
Worpel will be a tagger for the rest of the year, takes him out of the competition for spots in the middle and JOM is in for a big year so give him space.
Blessing that Cegs is injured (bad yes but you know what I mean), bring in Reeves now as a forward pocket that plays 25% to 30% ruck against the second ruck.
Love Moore but if Clarko isn't going to give him midfield or stoppage time its time to bring in Cousins.
Nash was poo, sloppy running down the leg poo. Jeka in for him.
Yeah Timmy was ok but just that and the unpredictable brain farts are just too often.

OUT: TOB, Kosi, Moore, Nash
IN: Lewis, Reeves, Cousins, Jeka
Moore is leading the goal kicking.....why is he getting dropped?

I have been critical of some of the team selections and overly defensive coaching but I can't question the effort the players have bought for the majority of the games.

Really feel they need a win as just reward for all their efforts and playing a lower ranked side down at Launceston (where our defensive style is suited to the ground and conditions) has to be a good chance.

If they lose a 5th game in a row we are getting into dangerous territory and loss of confidence could snowball big time.
we've won 2 from our last 20 haven't we?

I was thinking we could push Moore higher up when required. We’d still have Phillips & Morrison starting on the wings. Truth be told I’m not completely sure why Howe is playing on a wing when he’d probably be better suited for blocking at the centre square.
Totally agree here Howe should be given a game to start in the middle with his big body even just for centre clearances. Wingers need to be great kicks, he just needs to get the hard ball and hand ball out.

Agree. They really need it for morale and reward for effort. It's a very winnable game.

5 of the next 6 games we have some reasonable chance of winnable. Can’t see Clarko making many changes until this run is over unfortunately. If he plays more kids and loses he’s boxed in that our list is crap. If he plays the howe, Phillips, TOB etc and loses he can pivot after mid season (but has wasted half a season of development opportunity).

5 of the next 6 games we have some reasonable chance of winnable. Can’t see Clarko making many changes until this run is over unfortunately. If he plays more kids and loses he’s boxed in that our list is crap. If he plays the howe, Phillips, TOB etc and loses he can pivot after mid season (but has wasted half a season of development opportunity).

i forgot that they cancelled the VFL for 2021 too

why didnt hartley play
I have been thinking about that as well. So I re-watched his highlights from the Freo game and found my answer. Most of his effective disposals came from kick ins. He took a lot of those kick ins too so when a team gets 18 behinds it really makes a player look more involved than what he actually was on the stat sheet. His other touches in most cases put teammates under pressure or didn't follow direction and kick to spots where teammates were expecting. A few of his touches were really nice though but too many not so great ones. His goal came from back to back 50m penalties so it isn't like he has shown he can play forward effectively either or that he can push up the ground and make an impact. He also needs to work on his 1 on 1's. He has a tendency to hold onto jumpers more than any defender we have - and doesn't even try and hide it too. Still manages to lose the 1 on 1's frequently anyway.

With the way he plays I feel like he could be better suited for an outside role. When not under any pressure he has excellent disposal and could be handy kicking it forward. However, his speed and tank probably isn't suited for a position on the wing. The best suited position for him IMO is being the "seventh" defender and chopping out in the ruck. Unfortunately for him we have Sicily (when fit) and aren't even really allowed the extra defender anymore so I don't really know what to do with him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kosi has to stay - I have seen more contested marks from him in the last 2 games than TOB has delivered in 50

Lewis has to come back in so TOB must be omitted

I want to see what Reeves has in the 1's as well - give BB a break to rest in the forward pocket - I know its a tall forward line for Tassie conditions but I want to see it
Bullshit.

TOB 1st 4 Career Games: 9 Marks
Kosi 1st 4 Career Games: 17 Marks

Kosi establishing a nice lead early in his career.

I want to reserve judgement on Kossie until he comes up against a weaker side.

He's had a tough start
You could not script a much tougher start really. I thought he had a real crack last game. He just needs to keep working hard and play consecutive games until it clicks for him. He has spilt a few marks he would be kicking himself for too. Cost him shots on. I hope we give him a decent crack at it.

Last edited:
Agree. They really need it for morale and reward for effort. It's a very winnable game.
Yes the effort this year has been great for very little reward. The concern is that effort can drop with morale as the losses build. This one is very winnable, especially if Tex misses. Their midfield especially without Sloane and Crouch is abysmal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back