Preview Round 6, 2021: North Melbourne vs Fremantle @ Optus Stadium | Saturday, April 24 @ 8:10pm [GAME ON; NO CROWDS]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
For me, the big test in this game is consistency - good signs at the bowling alley won't count for much without a good performance the following week. A six day break, the long haul flight out west and the wide expanses of the ground combine to present a real challenge; if they rise to it, progress continues, get steamrollered, and it's back to square one.

the flying ham

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
For me, the big test in this game is consistency - good signs at the bowling alley won't count for much without a good performance the following week. A six day break, the long haul flight out west and the wide expanses of the ground combine to present a real challenge; if they rise to it, progress continues, get steamrollered, and it's back to square one.
I wouldnt say its back to square one. A team this young and hampered by injuries is going to have a crack some weeks, and other weeks look flat. Its just the reality of where we are at. As long as the general direction of the curve is upward, then a few drops here and there is to be expected. And this week i anticipate will probably be one of those. I think as we get our senior players back in the mix then we will see less of the up and down week to week and probably more consistency

Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I wouldnt say its back to square one. A team this young and hampered by injuries is going to have a crack some weeks, and other weeks look flat. Its just the reality of where we are at. As long as the general direction of the curve is upward, then a few drops here and there is to be expected. And this week i anticipate will probably be one of those. I think as we get our senior players back in the mix then we will see less of the up and down week to week and probably more consistency
then you stop your anticipating, right now, you hear?

Jul 16, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The positive for me as a north supporter is there seems to be a plan with the ball in hand. Clearly, our performance is going to fluctuate. But we seem to be wanting to play a high possession, attacking and running in waves style. With that will, come mistakes and some teams will score on you heavily. But this is be made easier with experience in the group and the youngsters getting older. If our group of 18-24-year-olds can see the benefit of the plying style and see it working, we will develop nicely, we just need 2-3 smart ball users around the square. Fremantle is beatable and plays a style I believe we can test. Do we have enough game-winners in the side, I don't think so. But we certainly have looked better for 75% of the last 2 games. Just need to know what 4 quarters look like.

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The positive for me as a north supporter is there seems to be a plan with the ball in hand. Clearly, our performance is going to fluctuate. But we seem to be wanting to play a high possession, attacking and running in waves style. With that will, come mistakes and some teams will score on you heavily. But this is be made easier with experience in the group and the youngsters getting older. If our group of 18-24-year-olds can see the benefit of the plying style and see it working, we will develop nicely, we just need 2-3 smart ball users around the square. Fremantle is beatable and plays a style I believe we can test. Do we have enough game-winners in the side, I don't think so. But we certainly have looked better for 75% of the last 2 games. Just need to know what 4 quarters look like.

Certainly has me more positive about the future than Rhyce Shaw's attempt to recreate the Collingwood 2010 gameplan.

justroyal

Premiership Player
Jul 1, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I don't know, the problem is it might seem like there is a high possession plan for 2/3rds of the total ground once we come out of defence. After it makes its way to the forward and then rebounds instantaneously, it isn't a high possession style of football at all. We lose the ball. We defend.

I think high possession requires north to hit targets from players making leads further up the ground.
I dont think we're seeing that, it looks like we're just streaming out of the backing.

37c4185a4730c13ff42cf8e392fe45f4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back