Autopsy Round 6, 2021: Port Adelaide v St.Kilda

May 12, 2006
Lal Lal
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Elsternwick AFC
If we're developing players then I probably agree. If we're trying to win games though then surely we'd play Carlisle along with Howard?

I understand the logic here, but Battle is 23. What is the club doing here if the club isn't developing him in some way?

And that gets to my argument, and of some others on here: you can't develop him as a swingman, it's just something some players can do.

puppy_dog7

Premiership Player
Jul 29, 2007
AFL Club
St Kilda
Our big issues at the moment are clearly

1. defensive structure, not just in defensive 50m but all over the ground. We are poor setting up, we are trying to guard space and giving opponents too much space.

2. our run and creativity is seemingly non existent and complete chalk and cheese to the 2 Pre season games we played.
If (as seb said in his interview) that we just want to go long and get it to King/Marshall then moving the ball slowly down the line from our defensive half doesn’t help us. We need to be trying to find some overlap run and carry through the corridor and kick long to 25m out from goal or less. Going slow and long down the line is how every single team loves to defend as it’s predictable and doesn’t create chaos or panic amongst defenders.
The other solution is to just play a Geelong 2020 style chip it around until you can get the ball to the top of the goal square and set up a defensive wall once you’ve gone deep into forward 50m. Only issue with that style for us is we don’t have the foot skills or defensive capability to do that effectively, so we should be trying to create space and run and carry before going long.
I can cop the turnover goals from that style of play because at least we’re trying something and eventually if we stick to it, it will pay off ala Richmond. What I can’t cop is turning it over going slow down the line and still conceding goals. The only time we should be going long down the line is if we are under heaps of pressure and need to get the ball out of a danger area to where we have good representation.

Keep it simple and persist with it and it’ll eventually come.

Premium

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Our big issues at the moment are clearly

1. defensive structure, not just in defensive 50m but all over the ground. We are poor setting up, we are trying to guard space and giving opponents too much space.

2. our run and creativity is seemingly non existent and complete chalk and cheese to the 2 Pre season games we played.
If (as seb said in his interview) that we just want to go long and get it to King/Marshall then moving the ball slowly down the line from our defensive half doesn’t help us. We need to be trying to find some overlap run and carry through the corridor and kick long to 25m out from goal or less. Going slow and long down the line is how every single team loves to defend as it’s predictable and doesn’t create chaos or panic amongst defenders.
The other solution is to just play a Geelong 2020 style chip it around until you can get the ball to the top of the goal square and set up a defensive wall once you’ve gone deep into forward 50m. Only issue with that style for us is we don’t have the foot skills or defensive capability to do that effectively, so we should be trying to create space and run and carry before going long.
I can cop the turnover goals from that style of play because at least we’re trying something and eventually if we stick to it, it will pay off ala Richmond. What I can’t cop is turning it over going slow down the line and still conceding goals. The only time we should be going long down the line is if we are under heaps of pressure and need to get the ball out of a danger area to where we have good representation.

Keep it simple and persist with it and it’ll eventually come.
They know whats wrong - contested possession , it has to be corrected

They are great list managers. Sold Howard who was depth for a first round pick upgrade after getting him for a super late pick in a sh*t draft and replace him with a player of similar standard on the cheap. Hard not to be jealous.
I was in a pub in Brighton about 5 years ago at a Christmas party with a mate who works for an old player. There were a number of players from the 90's-10 era there. I spoke to an ex player who was in development and recruitment at Port. I was pretty p***d and ended up begging him to come home as our list management at the time was a disgrace (highlighted now by the list holes the current regime has tried to fill over the past few years).
He is now the Port Adelaide list manager. If I was Andrew Bassat I'd be pushing him hard to come and save us with an offer he couldn't refuse.
Please come home Crippa!

Richmond had either 36 or 39 forward half turnovers (can’t remember exactly) and Melbourne’s defense stood up against it. We can barely defend a turnover in our own goal square, yet the Dees can cope with turning the ball over in their backline and don’t get punished for it. That’s why they are where they are and we can’t get within 60 points of a team.

May 12, 2006
Lal Lal
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Elsternwick AFC
Richmond had either 36 or 39 forward half turnovers (can’t remember exactly) and Melbourne’s defense stood up against it. We can barely defend a turnover in our own goal square, yet the Dees can cope with turning the ball over in their backline and don’t get punished for it. That’s why they are where they are and we can’t get within 60 points of a team.

We got within 60 points of a team just last Sunday.

;)

Craig Jennings actually said how they did it. Melbourne's wing men drop back into defence to fill up space so that the tall interceptors can mop up.

Craig Jennings actually said how they did it. Melbourne's wing men drop back into defence to fill up space so that the tall interceptors can mop up.
Craig Jennings should be co-coach with GT triggering bro

Back