Review Round 6, 2022 - Gold Coast vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Gold Coast?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Look out for the rest of the competition if Rayner can start producing those performances on a weekly basis. Bailey has taken his game to another level and I'm hoping Rayner does too. What a potential forward line - TALLS - Daniher - McStay - Hipwood and Big O or Fort can rest down there. SMALLS - Cameron - McCarthy - Bailey - Rayner. That's 8 options. Fingers crossed no injuries. For all those in the football World saying Melbourne can't be beat. Think again.
I think most people (me included) naturally imagine that to beat a dominant team a challenger needs to use a better version of that same model—ie that we’d have to outMelbourne Melbourne. In practice I think it’s more common that something surprising and new emerges and catches people off guard because we focus on their deficiencies compared to the benchmark. EG I thought Richmond were a low skill team that couldn’t possibly break down the best sides. I didn’t see their manic intensity properly as a result.

Our forward line is one of the best I can remember (IMO) and our backline is getting pretty good. If not the equal of Melbourne it’s not miles off it. I don’t think it’s plausible we beat them at their game, but if we can just close that midfield power slightly and get enough inside 50s I think it’s totally plausible we get them through efficiency and defensive resilience. Not likely necessarily, but plausible.

It was great to see Rayner have his most confident performance so far, on the same ground as he did his ACL.
Should give him more belief moving forward.
He is building into the year nicely.
3 shots on goal 20 possessions, a good day out. 👏

That awesome mark Rayner took made me hold my breath - he came down heavy on one leg. That's the sort of move that can cause hyperextension and ACL damage. Not sure if it was his injured leg, but irrespective he should watch that on repeat while chanting 'i can trust my body'.

Why did Brenton Speed mention twice we are playing Geelong in July again? Was he looking at a 2021 fixture??

We only play the Cats once this year I am 99% sure??

Seven things we learned: Jack's on track for a new jacket

2. Cam Rayner is ready to launch

After missing all of 2021 with a ruptured ACL, there were high hopes around Cam Rayner entering this season. The former No.1 draft pick has slowly built over the first five rounds without ever dominating, but against Gold Coast took a significant step with his most impactful performance yet. Rayner had 20 disposals, five marks and kicked one incredible goal. Although he missed a couple of gettable chances, his power through the contest and clean hands were all exciting glimpses of a man that could help propel Brisbane towards a premiership with his mix of midfield and forward minutes. – Michael Whiting

As much as I hate to agree with him but D. King was correct when stated that you can't fumble in this league. You just have to be so clean now when you get your hand on the ball because of the amount of pressure that there is. You can see it in the above clip when Budarick fumbled it and Rayner pounced.

We have great chance to be 9 and 2 (I'm hoping for 10 and 1) come to round 11. Rounds 12-16 will be massive with Freo (A), Saints (H), Dees (A) and Dogs (H). I'm not discounting the Dogs yet as they did make the GF last year but those four games will decide where we finish IMO. Another block of games to be wary about will be Carlton (H), Saints (A) and Dees (H) to finish.

As much as I hate to agree with him but D. King was correct when stated that you can't fumble in this league. You just have to be so clean now when you get your hand on the ball because of the amount of pressure that there is. You can see it in the above clip when Budarick fumbled it and Rayner pounced.

We have great chance to be 9 and 2 (I'm hoping for 10 and 1) come to round 11. Rounds 12-16 will be massive with Freo (A), Saints (H), Dees (A) and Dogs (H). I'm not discounting the Dogs yet as they did make the GF last year but those four games will decide where we finish IMO. Another block of games to be wary about will be Carlton (H), Saints (A) and Dees (H) to finish.
Dogs can always count on some devine assistance as well to sway a game.

Being clean with the ball is like gold.

Being clean and decisive with the loose ball and not twisting and turning and taking time to pick it up is like gold.

This is where Melbourne look so superior to the opposition at the moment.

Have they suddenly found all of these clean hands in less than a season or are they having a really hot run ?

Exactly how I saw it. That's just great flexibility to have in a team.

I'm sorry to say, and I'm a huge fan of his but I don't think we missed Robbo out there Iast night. We looked more cohesive and flexible.

I didn't think O and Fort were that bad in the ruck. Thought they got first touch more often than not.

Much better combination down back with Kiddy back in the team. And again, it's only the 10th time Andrews, Gardiner and Adams have all played together. That combo will get better too. Our defensive 7 or 8 is really good.

Bad luck for Lohmann, was really trying to get more involved. Hope it's not long term. I wouldn't be replacing him with Robbo or Cockatoo for next week v Swans. I haven't looked at the vfl result yet but if Tom Berry had another decent game I'd be bringing him in. Swans are a quick, young, attacking team, could certainly use his speed, agility and tackling.

Showed good signs the team is starting to gel. The midfield ran much better, both ways with purpose. Berry, Rayner, Answerth, getting better n better the more they play. Won't be as easy next week, and the Suns banged in all night, so will have to be better again next week. Looking fwd to it, I think we will be.
Berry had 24 with 6 tackles.
Dev 24, a goal and 5 tackles
Matho had 36 with a goal.
I haven’t watched the game just going off stats.
I guess it will come down to whether they want midfield depth or another forward.
Tunstill had 22 with 3 goals also

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Berry had 24 with 6 tackles.
Dev 24, a goal and 5 tackles
Matho had 36 with a goal.
I haven’t watched the game just going off stats.
I guess it will come down to whether they want midfield depth or another forward.
Tunstill had 22 with 3 goals also
Just reading thru the vfl thread, T Berry good but disposal under pressure let him down a bit. I'd still give him a shot, reward for a consistent effort this season. Dev was real good too, back to last yrs form. Played more mid this week apparently but has been played fwd at times. Trying to develop his goal sense I'd reckon. I'd be happy with either coming in for Lohmann. Cockatoo wasn't a standout to earn a recall by the sounds of it either.

Bad luck for Lohmann, was really trying to get more involved. Hope it's not long term. I wouldn't be replacing him with Robbo or Cockatoo for next week v Swans. I haven't looked at the vfl result yet but if Tom Berry had another decent game I'd be bringing him in. Swans are a quick, young, attacking team, could certainly use his speed, agility and tackling.
I could be off here but didn't we lose an 18/19 y.o Harry Sharp in his first year/second game playing Gold Coast at Metricon for the season, which is kinda eerily similar to an 18/19 y.o. Kai also in his first year/second game also playing the Suns at Metricon. Hoping Kai isnt out for the season like Sharpy at that stink hole Metricon. Was liking what Kai was showing.

I would love to see us have "If it bleeds, we can kill it" on our banner vs the Dee's when we play them at the G. I know it's "the greatest hits" but genuinely think it'd be the perfect slogan for the occasion. Beat them in July, we can beat them in the GF.

Feels very much like we’re going through the motions at the moment. Really not sure if our midfield has another level that it will need to get to for us to topple the better sides.
You don't kick 21 goals in a game just going through the motions regardless of the opposition. If you feel that way you're looking for perfection, which ain't going to happen.

Back