Autopsy Round 6, 2022: GWS v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Trying to re-watch this game this morning, fu** me the umpiring of AFL is just so far below what it should be in consistency and quality. Inconsistency with holds, ruck free kicks often seem random with no more incident, dangerous tackle is highly subjective, now you simply try to question or clarify an issue and you're probably going to give away another 50m or a free kick.

The AFL can try and ignore the issue of umpiring and interpretation of the rules of the game or shut down the conversation with the "umpire dissent" rule but the quality of umpiring and match review process needs to get better.

That rule is a farce. It's like the cops teaching respect by doing random drive-by shootings on innocent people. I can't see anything positive that it achieves. Most fans hate the umpires even more now. It's like Ben Roberts-Smith suing for defamation levels of bad ideas.

Good stuff from the club here, love it!

A snippet from the AFL site...

Saints coach Brett Ratten said the club will put a deal in front of Hayes quickly to allow him to focus on his rehabilitation without the stress of worrying about his future.

"We'll have a conversation with him ASAP," Ratten said in his post-match press conference after the 17-point win at Manuka Oval.

"We want to take away any of the anxiousness and allow him to go into this ACL rehab process knowing what the future looks like. He doesn’t have to worry about that, he can just get to work and do what he does. We'll look after him and talk to him about that."

I wondered if that was why he had the big smile.

Jack, we have some good news and some bad news.

On the umpires. I spent most of the first half abusing them, and rightly so. Second half was better.

But I have no worries dishing out compliments when deserved too.

Tonight, there was a significant change in the umpires interpretation of players ducking or leading with the head and playing for frees... the umps ignored them!! This is without a doubt the BEST thing the umps have done this year, maybe for a number of years! I've been asking for it probably for over a decade, I guess it started when Selwood was drafted. And when the Giants flopped in tackles to make them seem dangerous, all ignored bar the Long one. The look of shock on the GWS players faces when their playing for free kicks were ignored.

So applause for the umps here. Hopefully not a one-off and the umps continue this across the board.
Good catch. I noticed this as well, and what a difference it made on the enjoyment of the game. Couldn't imagine watching a physical slog like last night - only littered with free kick baiting getting rewarded.

Far from perfect, but I'll take it.

images
55e7ee6525f1fac9aec00021cdc36e14.jpg

So we beat a semi finalist from last season away, but they're no good so far this year, so we still haven't beaten anyone. That's how this works in media land right?
Would love to see this team beat Melbourne in 2 weeks.
How wild would that be? Would the media simply cease to exist? Find out next time!

That rule is a farce. It's like the cops teaching respect by doing random drive-by shootings on innocent people. I can't see anything positive that it achieves. Most fans hate the umpires even more now. It's like Ben Roberts-Smith suing for defamation levels of bad ideas.

I like that analogy.

If laws are clear and all enforced according to government you get a good result. The individual police have no say in it.
The clearer the laws are , the less things there are for lawyers to argue about.

If there are too many vague laws, and nearly everything can be interpreted as illegal, it all goes to police discretion.
That encourages favouritism and corruption.

Looking at how Jack HAYES contributed over this early part of the season I think what stands out most in my mind is the presence of his body size and his tenacity to commit to the contest where ever he plays. Our forward line lacks, if anything, a bit of physical body presence....he has that in spades and generally capitalises on his chances at goal. Although his stats might not be elite or even AA, that kind of physicality and nature is invaluable when seen alongside the skill and talent we already demonstrate.

I thought about our current capability to replace HAYES, who himself could be considered to be a replacement. In truth, I feel he was really beginning to establish his own value in the team. The consideration as to who could provide a similar kind of big bodied mobile forward come utility is a worry to me. I believe he really contributed to the successful formula we appear to have become...(arguably, at least against the middling and lesser sides so far that is.)

Perhaps as we approach the MSD, this size, strength and mobility should be our aim.....not a ruckman but a player at a pinch who could be serviceable around the ground when required but more with the view to have bulk and muscle with great hands for marking.

I believe HAYES adjusted to the AFL far quicker than anticipated....I remember that early game him getting caught in the middle of the ground appearing slow and plodding....he adjusted every game getting slightly more cogniscent of his role........ (Good coaching perhaps......really switched on playing regardless). I hope we don't miss his role much more than we are at this time aware.

The AFL introduced the dissent ruling to improve the treatment of umpires through all grades and ultimately increase the number of umpires across the country.
Unfortunately, it'll have the opposite effect. Players may keep their mouths shut, but there won't be much hesitation from supporters (especially at local level) from saying what's on their mind.
Huge misread by the AFL. What a joke
It needs to be for dissent, not initial emotion.

Looking at how Jack HAYES contributed over this early part of the season I think what stands out most in my mind is the presence of his body size and his tenacity to commit to the contest where ever he plays. Our forward line lacks, if anything, a bit of physical body presence....he has that in spades and generally capitalises on his chances at goal. Although his stats might not be elite or even AA, that kind of physicality and nature is invaluable when seen alongside the skill and talent we already demonstrate.

I thought about our current capability to replace HAYES, who himself could be considered to be a replacement. In truth, I feel he was really beginning to establish his own value in the team. The consideration as to who could provide a similar kind of big bodied mobile forward come utility is a worry to me. I believe he really contributed to the successful formula we appear to have become...(arguably, at least against the middling and lesser sides so far that is.)

Perhaps as we approach the MSD, this size, strength and mobility should be our aim.....not a ruckman but a player at a pinch who could be serviceable around the ground when required but more with the view to have bulk and muscle with great hands for marking.

I believe HAYES adjusted to the AFL far quicker than anticipated....I remember that early game him getting caught in the middle of the ground appearing slow and plodding....he adjusted every game getting slightly more cogniscent of his role........ (Good coaching perhaps......really switched on playing regardless). I hope we don't miss his role much more than we are at this time aware.
He is Mr 1% I reckon. A big bugger as well and a contested mark beast we were only beginning to see. Not replaceable with our list and not really anyone else's list either as he's rather unique. Just need to move on. He'll be back.

Last edited:
These Anzac war references / comparisons to football actually make me sick. I'm including the vision Fox showed
of Malthouse addressing the Pies players during the week - absolutely appalling and disrespectful stuff.
The AFL Anzac "thing" is about ONE thing = $$$$$$$. Mostly for Essendon and Collingwood.
Malthouse is an abysmal person. I still cannot believe he actually stated he called Milne a “rat pest” when challenged well and truly after the match. Deserved everything he got when cut loose by Collingwood.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Umpires with UZIS...The WHISTLE Versus the UZI
It would certainly stop any remonstrating
Further to that "Umpires with UZIS"...not a bad name or some Neo Reactionary Post Punk band!
external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg external-content.duckduckgo.com2.jpg

Last edited:
Putting aside the dissent 50m (which was absolutely ludicrous, but I fully expect the AFL told the umpires to pay that sort of thing) last night was atrociously umpired. And on both sides, like there were a number of frees we got where I was like I honestly don't know what that was for.

And, minor issue in the context of the game, but there seemed to be one ump who whistled play on straight away EVERY SINGLE TIME someone took a mark and did even a slight forward hesitation (even if they didn't take a step it seemed like?). It was bizarre, mostly it didn't result in a turnover because the man on the mark wasn't expecting it to be blown and didn't have time to react. Again happened to both sides.

Last edited:
Just a pity that great win last night was soured by that Hayes injury but it's good to hear that he will be offered a contract to secure his future with us.

He will be a big loss but thankfully we have some good ruck depth to cover for him with Ryder to return next week and Campbell and Heath in the VFL.

got back from my gig. Absolute ripper. Just finished rewatching. What a ******* roller coaster! Thank fu** I’m drunk.

Diabolical kicking at goal. injuries to both ruckmen, ONE BEING A ******* ACL TO JACK HAYES. Stupid dissent 50s and umpiring.

But then SEBASTIAN ROSS continues his BNF form. Sticking tackles, getting holding the ball in his favour, multiple goal assists and powering out of stoppages.

Snags kicks Snags like they’re on a platter. What a bloody player. Loved him dishing off the last one to Crouch. Good to involve the team mate

On Crouch. He was massive. Good contest work and that goal from the boundary looks like he was mentored by Eddie Betts in his Adelaide days

Man of Steele a textbook game from him. Disposals and tackles. Composure with the ball in traffic. What more could you ask for

Rowan Marshall a warrior to battle on as long as he did injured

And mentioning Battle. What a beast going up against two guys who had I reckon about 10 cm and 15-20kg on him. Fantastic in defence as usual but heroic in relief ruck duties. Played the Hayes role well.

Gresh unlucky not to have 3 goals I reckon. His shots in open play were genuinely deadly. Not 1 goal and 2 obvious misses. 1 goal and some very almosts. Can be our Robbie grey

Wilkie flying in with spoils every time. Still one of the best cheap pickups we’ve ever gotten. Undeniabke

Possibility of Heath getting abgame( ?

I love this club so much. H
Off topic, but have you seen Will Ramos’ one take? 🤤

I’m proud of the boys for stepping up to protect max king. They probably knew they had to win to keep the media off his back this week.

Kicking 1.7 he would have been crucified here and in the media if we lost.

Winners are grinners so he can forget and move on though
Very true. Similar to Higgins last year.

settle. I still want them to win tonight.

Was more making the point of afl media narrative.

I think I have had a peek at 7 or 8 different team boards this morning. None rate. Sydney probably the most complimentary and even then it wasn’t great 😂
Other teams boards - I don’t know why you bother!

Over the last 5 weeks, we have out scored the opposition 261 to 113 in second halves. That's nearly a 5 goal differential on average. This is, of course, blown out a bit because of the Hawthorn game, but all year we have only lost 2 second half quarters: the 4th quarter against Collingwood by 12 points, and the 4th quarter against Freo by 8 points.
Obviously it's not the largest sample size, and obviously we haven't played the top sides yet, but this suggests that we are running out games significantly better than our opposition, and that we are winning the game where it needs to be won: the second half.
That we can also win a second half while significantly down on rotations shows the professionalism of this new look St. Kilda. I for one am loving it
How many times have we given away the first two goals? A subset of that is “within 60 seconds”?!

Glad we punted that last night!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back