Autopsy Round 6, 2022: GWS v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

That rule is a farce. It's like the cops teaching respect by doing random drive-by shootings on innocent people. I can't see anything positive that it achieves. Most fans hate the umpires even more now. It's like Ben Roberts-Smith suing for defamation levels of bad ideas.
I'm inclined to think the rule is cool!!!......... because as the Coach said, 'I've never seen an umpire change his mind...Goal umpire maybe....field umpire...never" Ergo ipso facto est!.... just don't do it.....problem solved! Of course, notwithstanding the fact that this is being said by me, a man who has little or no control when button push comes to shove!

Last edited:
They discussed on 7 why that one was paid and not the one on Long.
I’ll tell ya why, because they used it to try and kill our momentum. Didn’t work.
Paying the early one at half back would have moved them to centre wing, no glory.

Noticed a few frees thrown our way in the last 5 mins after game was over to even the count up a bit.
I often wonder...well in truth I only just wondered, Do you think there really is some kind of football 'illuminati' that orchestrate and manipulate the umpires to change the outcomes of games? I can understand that there may be great incentives involved but I find it hard to imagine that the men in white would be individually or collectively corrupted in such a manner. Perhaps i am naive.

I don’t know if anyone caught Ramanaskas, Ling and Clinch on the midday hour on ABC AFL but they had a really interesting conversation with Brad Crouch.

A couple of takeaways:

Internally, big emphasis on roles and team first.
Big praise internally for Brad Hill’s performance last night. Emphasised low possession count does not equate to bad game: quality of possession and role more important. Hills game last night highly regarded by coaches and Club (and by both Ling and Ramanaskas). Crouch own focus is on quality of possession not quantity, and playing his role.

The Hill references were very interesting as both L&R argued he was at least as effective (team wise) last night as he was against Hawthorn. What changed was his role: gut running coverage to block space. And both emphasised that this is not apparent to the viewer in a broadcast.

The second one is more interesting: their commentary afterwards of the terminology, phrasing and emphasis within Crouch’s response to questions.

Reminded both of: Melbourne early last year, Essendon and Geelong in the prime of their own careers, peak Brisbane, Hawthorn and Richmond.

Team first and role.

Ling saying when that happens, the team dynamic and self belief shifts.

Both very impressed with how we are going about it. Neither are saying we are Melbourne yet, but are saying we are seriously competitive.

I don’t know if anyone caught Ramanaskas, Ling and Clinch on the midday hour on ABC AFL but they had a really interesting conversation with Brad Crouch.

A couple of takeaways:

Big praise internally for Brad Hill’s performance last night. Emphasised low possession count does not equate to bad game: quality of possession and role more important. Hills game last night highly regarded by coaches and Club (and by both Ling and Ramanaskas). Crouch own focus is on quality of possession not quantity, and playing his role.

The Hill references were very interesting as both L&R argued he was at least as effective (team wise) last night as he was against Hawthorn. What changed was his role: gut running coverage to block space. And both emphasised that this is not apparent to the viewer in a broadcast.

The second one is more interesting: their commentary afterwards of the terminology, phrasing and emphasis within Crouch’s response to questions.

Reminded both of: Melbourne early last year, Essendon and Geelong in the prime of their own careers, peak Brisbane, Hawthorn and Richmond.

Team first and role.

Both very impressed with how we are going about it. Neither are saying we are Melbourne yet, but are saying we are seriously competitive.
Saints TV would love if you could bring up this on the next episode of Saints TV Weekly, good (and insightful) media coverage is so rare

Mate Windy plays in the guts and Butler plays in the forward line. I reckon the suggestion you don’t understand his role and it’s importance is far from a joke when you are comparing apples to oranges. Come back to me when Windy is the number 1 pressure midfielder in the game like Butler has been for 2+ years in the forward line. Geez your football understanding is so surface level it’s laughable. “Hur dur low possessions must drop” lmao

Our forward line is absolutely buzzing right now with everyone playing their roles and you wanna go change a key pillar of that?? For what? A couple of extra possessions?? Get real.
If Butler went the rest of the season averaging 7 possies and 0 goals would you be happy with that?

Windy might have played "in the guts", but was on the ground for 25% less time than Butler and still managed 4 more pressure acts.

If you're happy with Butler's form now, you must have blown your load watching the great Robert Eddy terrorise opposition defenders back in the day.

If Butler went the rest of the season averaging 7 possies and 0 goals would you be happy with that?

Windy might have played "in the guts", but was on the ground for 25% less time than Butler and still managed 4 more pressure acts.

If you're happy with Butler's form now, you must have blown your load watching the great Robert Eddy terrorise opposition defenders back in the day.
if we win every match and he's getting 7 touches I don't care.

We all know what Butler offers from a pressure perspective, however, what is he doing when we have the ball?

Over the last 2 games he has averaged 7 possessions, 0 goals and 3.5 tackles.

If that two game trend turns into a 4, 5 or 6 game trend he would need to be dropped. Windy put up the same sort of numbers in pressure acts and disposals but made more of his tackles stick and the board have almost unanimously agreed to drop him this week.

From last night's team, we will likely need to find room for Clark, Jones, Ryder and Billings. Nobody is calling him a dud, nobody is expecting him to be a 40 goal player, but we need more from him.

To come out and suggest that people pointing out the obvious don't understand his role, is a joke.

Our first real pressure forward was Andrew McQualter. For a season he stopped the ball coming out of the 50 and kicked a goal or two.
The goals then dried up and he suddenly found himself out.

Fan Cams from Manuka Oval :)

My highlight was when i saw Jack SINCLAIR put his head on Jack HAYES chest closed his eyes and showed the love...empathy and understanding...I think HAYES has garnered a great deal of affection in a very short time.....Cult figure in the making! It may even be a case of a little bit o unadulterated love in the right place at the right time is infectious and spread right through the entire team and supporter base!

Got a Niece going the opposite direction.
Its a beautiful world we live in! external-content.duckduckgo.comtreble clef.jpg At times! Who knows may even help contribute to swinging this election ..... Acceptance, Empowerment and Freedom is as necessary as the change!!!....we certainly need a change of Government too, IMO!

Last edited:

A couple of takeaways:

Team first and role.

We have offield coaches who have come from those environments.

Brett Ratten, Roughhead, from Hawks, Enright from Geelong, Lade from Port worked at Richmond and Adelaide in 2017. All premiership players, all from successful cultures.
Get off field right. Doesn't guarantee a flag, but it is near on impossible if off field is a rabble.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A couple of takeaways:

Team first and role.

Worth a listen
The Lead: 'As long as we can win, we're a happy team'
match talk from ~5:00
Crouch from ~ 16.00

We even competed against the Cats well. We play the Dogs ok, if anything the Blues seem to be our bogey side of late...
I recall we were really on top at Kardinia last season but then King got injured. Suddenly our F50 entries went to poo and the Cats got back on top

Its a beautiful world we live in! At times! Who knows may even help contribute to swinging this election ..... Acceptance, Empowerment and Freedom is as necessary as the change!!!....we certainly need a change of Government too, IMO!

I could have a huge discussion about it, i'm accepting but i also have concerns.

That rule is a farce. It's like the cops teaching respect by doing random drive-by shootings on innocent people. I can't see anything positive that it achieves. Most fans hate the umpires even more now. It's like Ben Roberts-Smith suing for defamation levels of bad ideas.
It's like getting a DUI for pushing your broken down car with a beer in the cup holder.

Putting aside the dissent 50m (which was absolutely ludicrous, but I fully expect the AFL told the umpires to pay that sort of thing) last night was atrociously umpired. And on both sides, like there were a number of frees we got where I was like I honestly don't know what that was for.

And, minor issue in the context of the game, but there seemed to be one ump who whistled play on straight away EVERY SINGLE TIME someone took a mark and did even a slight forward hesitation (even if they didn't take a step it seemed like?). It was bizarre, mostly it didn't result in a turnover because the man on the mark wasn't expecting it to be blown and didn't have time to react. Again happened to both sides.
That was umpire #4, who was horrible from what I saw. I noticed it too. I got sick of saying "Why the hell is that play on?"

I think it was #32 who umpired well and is consistently quite good.

They discussed on 7 why that one was paid and not the one on Long.
I’ll tell ya why, because they used it to try and kill our momentum. Didn’t work.
Paying the early one at half back would have moved them to centre wing, no glory.

Noticed a few frees thrown our way in the last 5 mins after game was over to even the count up a bit.
Has anyone ever done analysis (on a game basis) on free kick count at half time / three quarter time / full time? I would expect an evening up over the course of the game but do wonder whether the data actually proves that.

Yes if he is putting on his elite pressure and our other forwards are kicking goals and we are winning why wouldn’t I be happy?

If you really can’t see that a midfielder even with less game time is going to be at more contests which would affect pressure stats then I can’t really help you. The fact is Butler is the number 1 pressure forward in the game. There isn’t a single forward in the entire AFL that’s better than him so I have no idea why you keep bringing up a midfielder. Put windy in the forward line and his pressure wouldn’t be half of Butlers. Butler would start on the ground for any team in the AFL.

This isn’t the 90’s anymore and your antiquated views on the game are redundant. The game is more than possessions and goals. It’s a team game and Butler adds a lot to the team that basic nuffies like you wouldn’t understand.

Yes if he is putting on his elite pressure and our other forwards are kicking goals and we are winning why wouldn’t I be happy?

If you really can’t see that a midfielder even with less game time is going to be at more contests which would affect pressure stats then I can’t really help you. The fact is Butler is the number 1 pressure forward in the game. There isn’t a single forward in the entire AFL that’s better than him so I have no idea why you keep bringing up a midfielder. Put windy in the forward line and his pressure wouldn’t be half of Butlers. Butler would start on the ground for any team in the AFL.

This isn’t the 90’s anymore and your antiquated views on the game are redundant. The game is more than possessions and goals. It’s a team game and Butler adds a lot to the team that basic nuffies like you wouldn’t understand.
Kents better

Anyone really likes Leigh Montagna's commentary and takes, its a nice change having a St Kilda bias commentator/analyst

Remove this Banner Ad

Back