Autopsy Round 6, 2022: GWS v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought Windhager was really good in the third quarter when the Saints were lifting. He provides plenty of run and you can tell he loves the physical part of the game. Reasonably tidy by foot. By 2024 he will be a huge part of our midfield.

At the centre bounce after Higgins kicked his second I was really impressed with our half forwards. Flynn beats battle in the ruck and the giants try to handball to a player who can clear. I think by the third or fourth handball, Mason Wood comes flying through, followed by Hill and then Windhager. Each one impacting the contest and when Windhager gets his fingertips to spoil a GWS hand pass all of a sudden we have an outnumber on attack.

When Butler has the ball streaming forward someone needs to lead at him. His short passes are his bread and butter. In the third again we get the fast break Butler streaming and every forward is running toward goal and Butler skies it hoping someone can get to it.

The emergence of Battle this year has been a very important piece of the puzzle for us.

Ryder and Sharman in for Marshall and Hayes. I liked Lienert as the medi-sub, thought he played well when he got on.

Thought McKenzie had a down game. I’d be more inclined to rest NWM than Windy if Jones is ready to go.

We owe PA a thumping I would love it if the boys can deliver.

I don’t know if anyone caught Ramanaskas, Ling and Clinch on the midday hour on ABC AFL but they had a really interesting conversation with Brad Crouch.

A couple of takeaways:

Internally, big emphasis on roles and team first.
Big praise internally for Brad Hill’s performance last night. Emphasised low possession count does not equate to bad game: quality of possession and role more important. Hills game last night highly regarded by coaches and Club (and by both Ling and Ramanaskas). Crouch own focus is on quality of possession not quantity, and playing his role.

The Hill references were very interesting as both L&R argued he was at least as effective (team wise) last night as he was against Hawthorn. What changed was his role: gut running coverage to block space. And both emphasised that this is not apparent to the viewer in a broadcast.

The second one is more interesting: their commentary afterwards of the terminology, phrasing and emphasis within Crouch’s response to questions.

Reminded both of: Melbourne early last year, Essendon and Geelong in the prime of their own careers, peak Brisbane, Hawthorn and Richmond.

Team first and role.

Ling saying when that happens, the team dynamic and self belief shifts.

Both very impressed with how we are going about it. Neither are saying we are Melbourne yet, but are saying we are seriously competitive.
This is actually a pretty big deal.
There has been a shift in workrate which is obvious. The team defence is very strong.
What this conversation is highlighting is that dynamic and belief. This is where the change is.

This is not the same team we had last year. Or the year before.

May be basically the same cattle, but they are definitely not playing in the same fashion.

I mentioned on another thread or it may have been this one, regarding the running that Crouch did to get the ball off Higgins for our last goal. He was involved in the contests prior, that saw the ball head into the F50 to Higgins. He has an opponent about five meters in front of him, running towards the one on one Higgins contest in the F50, about 40 meters away. Crouch sees that there is no cover on the opponent and..literally puts his head down and chases.
You dont see it as it is off camera, but he obviously overtakes the opponent to get the dish and kick the goal.

This is with 90 odd seconds left in the game. And ultimately an offensive move, but the mindset was purely defensive.

This is important. Crouch has not really been known for workrate like this example. His team value this season is through the roof in my opinion. Acts like this so late in the game are the difference between being good and being great.

Not there yet, but there are very good signs that we have outstanding buy in and team dynamic.

Much rather be discussing this, with examples, than the opposite. We are tracking very well.

I thought Windhager was really good in the third quarter when the Saints were lifting. He provides plenty of run and you can tell he loves the physical part of the game. Reasonably tidy by foot. By 2024 he will be a huge part of our midfield.

At the centre bounce after Higgins kicked his second I was really impressed with our half forwards. Flynn beats battle in the ruck and the giants try to handball to a player who can clear. I think by the third or fourth handball, Mason Wood comes flying through, followed by Hill and then Windhager. Each one impacting the contest and when Windhager gets his fingertips to spoil a GWS hand pass all of a sudden we have an outnumber on attack.

When Butler has the ball streaming forward someone needs to lead at him. His short passes are his bread and butter. In the third again we get the fast break Butler streaming and every forward is running toward goal and Butler skies it hoping someone can get to it.

The emergence of Battle this year has been a very important piece of the puzzle for us.

Ryder and Sharman in for Marshall and Hayes. I liked Lienert as the medi-sub, thought he played well when he got on.

Thought McKenzie had a down game. I’d be more inclined to rest NWM than Windy if Jones is ready to go.

We owe PA a thumping I would love it if the boys can deliver.
I just watched the 2nd half again, and Windhager was really good in Q3 into early Q4.
Smarts and ball use were beyond his years and experience to my eye.
He and NWM had a few nearly moments too, that would have made their game look a bit better.

Same as you, I don't think MW needs a rest just yet, but NWN might have been a bit stiff and sore after the Ward contest. I wouldn't play either of them at Sandy atm, just rest them if they need it.

I just watched the 2nd half again, and Windhager was really good in Q3 into early Q4.
Smarts and ball use were beyond his years and experience to my eye.
He and NWM had a few nearly moments too, that would have made their game look a bit better.

Same as you, I don't think MW needs a rest just yet, but NWN might have been a bit stiff and sore after the Ward contest. I wouldn't play either of them at Sandy atm, just rest them if they need it.

Windhager looks completely unfazed by his opponents, and is never ball watching. He’s always on the move, blocking or pressuring and rarely caught ball watching.

I think in the fourth a giant kicks long into the Saints D50 and Marcus bodies Toby Greene early to make sure he can’t impact the marking contest.

In the third he dishes off a couple of times then absolutely motors across the field to make the opposition zone defenders accountable and allowing our forwards to get closer to goal. Never got the ball, but structurally it just makes the whole team work better.

Very impressed by Windhagers intent and body work. If he is this good in game number 3 I reckon he is going to make the #17 much loved and eagerly watched amongst the Saints faithful.

His dissent to that poor umpire was UNFORGIVABLE!!!
Ace Ventura Good Call GIF by Jim Carrey

McKenzie was good last year but the only knock on him was he didn’t get much of the ball. He’s been good again this year and his disposal count has come up. Take out the Collingwood game where pretty much every player struggled and he’s averaging a little over 20 touches per game which is very respectable for the role he plays. I couldn’t have delisted him quick enough a couple of years ago but he’s becoming almost the perfect wingman.

If DMac actually dissented, they’d br calling for a body bag …

The irony is that he's a very polite, soft guy off field. He's the type to be hyper respectful not mouth off at an umpire.

The irony is that he's a very polite, soft guy off field. He's the type to be hyper respectful not mouth off at an umpire.
I know … he’s the redemption story we all hoped for. The look on his face when they pinged him for that, spoke volumes.

If he went all Chuck Norris on the league I’d be ok with it though …

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They discussed on 7 why that one was paid and not the one on Long.
I’ll tell ya why, because they used it to try and kill our momentum. Didn’t work.
Paying the early one at half back would have moved them to centre wing, no glory.

Noticed a few frees thrown our way in the last 5 mins after game was over to even the count up a bit.
Is this a serious comment? Umpires make the wrong calls often but none of them nor the afl have an agenda to deliberately make calls against a club to ruin their chance of winning. Flat earth kind of stuff

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Is this a serious comment? Umpires make the wrong calls often but none of them nor the afl have an agenda to deliberately make calls against a club to ruin their chance of winning. Flat earth kind of stuff

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
Are you a cop?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back