Autopsy Round 6, 2022: Hawks fall over against Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

Stopped running, as evidenced by Sicily not having anyone to kick to at one point...actually that was just before things really fell apart. That knocks us out of my little 'Finals rehearsal', so no pressure on the game against Melbourne next week.
We were just 'off' at some crucial moments of the game, and I hate those end of quarter goals...there must be a way to stop that, and it must be a priority against Melbourne...regardless of the result we have to commit to no late quarter goals that could have been prevented.

Keep challenging those ahead, and win the games we 'should' and it will be an O.K. start to the climb back to the top,as I've said before my biggest hope is we scrape into the 8 and start getting some finals experience into the side.
I don't want to see the frustrated look on Sicily's face, I want to see why Sicily has a frustrated look on his face.

The camera work for the games in Launceston are terrible.
The constant zooming in on the player who is just about to take their free kick is annoying.
The TV audience has no idea what the other players are doing. It happens at all grounds but for me Launceston is by far the worst.

Sitting at home I could only guess what was going wrong.

We were outplayed for majority should have been st kilda like margin. Nothing to worry about if realistic about how early we are in rebuild still need to another 8-10 players to come in over next 3 years to add quality and replace older players. Going to get results like this a lot to work with a lot of dumb decisions and basic skill errors today that hard work hopefully reduces. Key is not to overestimate must hold early draft picks and augment if possible only bring in young players that fill a need or free agents that don’t cost draft capital. Enjoying the season with realistic expectations 3-3 is better than I thought

If I'm honest, I'm still a bit frustrated by yesterday's game.

I get the long term view of "results don't matter, let's develop the kids" but the game was up for grabs in the last and it felt like we:

(A) played sub-optimum match ups and centre square set ups; and
(B) Completely lay down

Not to mention going into the.last with a 9 point lead instead of 21 thanks to 2 out of bounds goals.

Sure, long term development is important but if a game is up for grabs in the last, we should be doing all we can to win and the development will flow from that.

14 disposals and 9 marks in a losing side is not a bad day’s work for someone who is 21 and has played a grand total of seven games…
Every time he had it I was betting internally whether the resulting turnover would lead to a goal or not. He’s not up to anything right now except inside mid hand to someone else.

Got absolutely smashed in the ruck and we didn't have a proper leading forward. Upside is we were still ahead most of the game. We lick our wounds and move on as clarko would say. Wingard not taking the shot and Mitchell playing on were pivotal moments I thought
Agree. Yet again we were let down at key points by senior players. O'maera's free and 50 against resulting in a goal was also important. I'm really not loving him as stand in captain.

Really poor coaching from Mitchell. Once the Swans go up by 2 goals in the last quarter you have to do something. Get Breust or Wingard in the middle to be more competitive. Play some possession footy for a minute to stop the momentum. Anything! That was pathetic…

Agree. Yet again we were let down at key points by senior players. O'maera's free and 50 against resulting in a goal was also important. I'm really not loving him as stand in captain.
I don't agree with the Wingard one. Everyone would be lauding the decision to get a youngster involved had he kicked it. It's a shame the Finn kicks like a Suburban B Grader.

Whilst I acknowledge we're young, for me it's more than that. The commentators said before the game that the $wines had more players with under 50 games experience than us. Every time we lose, we can't just put it down to inexperience etc and say it was another learning ... & every time we win it's not because of youthful exuberance. IMO, the issue largely lies with our midfield. It has for a while now. Lynch was underdone, that's not his fault, Mitchell started with a bang, but then we just got smashed. The $wines mids were stronger, faster, cleaner, batted deeper, ran harder & were more skillful. Our back line was admirable for the most part, but were then inundated. Dermie summed it up beautifully when explaining Frost's game. The forwards largely rely on our mids so what hope do they have? As the game went on, our ability to win the contested ball dissipated as did our ability to get it out of the back line. Were our mids even presenting? Lynch was stuffed by then, so their talls lapped it up. We got off to a strong start no doubt, but the next 3 quarters were like Ali's rope a dope and it ended in a flurry of blows. It's so disappointing to be so close, yet so far.
I'm calling BS on the under 50 games
We played 12 50 gamers and Shiels DNP
Swans played 12 50 gamers and Rowbottom played his 50th

Technically 49 is less than 50
Swans had 5 players with less than 30 McDonald Campbell Warner Gulden and McLean
We had 8 with less than 20 games

I don't want to see the frustrated look on Sicily's face, I want to see why Sicily has a frustrated look on his face.

The constant zooming in on the player who is just about to take their free kick is annoying.
The TV audience has no idea what the other players are doing. It happens at all grounds but for me Launceston is by far the worst.

Only three cameras

The ball was not over the line so correct call.
You missed this one as well GMac.
FRKOiwaVgAA59fw

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh yeah. Here's the angle I was after. Bang.

So that’s the two OOB confirmed (both ended up goals) and the 20 sec clock freeze (another goal). Pathetic officiating.

That should never have been 50, there were 2 other instances of contact even later than his in a marking contest that got off without a 50. Don't know why they picked that one up.

I'm calling BS on the under 50 games
We played 12 50 gamers and Shiels DNP
Swans played 12 50 gamers and Rowbottom played his 50th

Technically 49 is less than 50
Swans had 5 players with less than 30 McDonald Campbell Warner Gulden and McLean
We had 8 with less than 20 games
It can be deceptive . 20 games can be a lot of development into a young player.
10 games as against 30 can be a huge difference .

They are a young side though , access to high end academy talent but have also drafted very well around that.

If we improve as we hope with our under 20 gamers , another good draft we could be in a spot like them in a season or so.

Reality is they are simply 12-24 months ahead of us.

Oh yeah. Here's the angle I was after. Bang.

This is why I was upset with yesterday result. But this is one of the challenge that we must overcome to become a champion. Can be upset and frustrated but need to back switch on and channel it as motivation to get the win.

In a positive note I'm very happy with DGB games yesterday as well as the last few weeks. He's progressing nicely without much fanfare.

I’m not that upset at the result. We were always going to struggle in the last. We were coming off a hugely emotional win, a shorter turnaround, and had less experienced bodies. I was so proud we got out in front the way we did. Good signs of things to come

How bad is the TV coverage. Constantly missing the game for pointless s**t like the coaches face, the timing of the swap to McCartin in the rooms mid play. Zoom ups on someone running with the ball so you have absolutely no clue how a play is going to unfold.
How do they not like review their coverage or anything I don’t understand

He’s had a solid year, but is an extremely one sided player. Got caught a few times today.

What exactly do you mean by this? He is one our strongest kicks on his opposite foot in our side.

Harrys issue yesterday was an incredible 6 free kicks against which is quite a rare feat. Still had 20 touches, 6 marks and 4 tackles. Also looks a far stronger player in contested situations than he ever has.

If people want to suggest that he won't be in our side in 3 years time when we are hopefully challenging that is totally fine. Nobody can question his output so far this season though. Been consistent and posting career best stats.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back