Autopsy Round 6, 2022: Hawks fall over against Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

What’s wrong with Callow he was recruited on the strength of his marking ability which is exactly what we are lacking particularly today someone with strong hands and a bit of size , Swans had that in spades today .
Maybe ask the other 17 recruiting managers who also overlooked him at the draft in 2020.

The game was really lost in the back end of the first and start of the second when we didn't capitalise on our opportunities. Think if we were up 7 or 8 goals at qtr time rather than 2 it might've been a bit different. Giving away some easy goals in red time at the end of the first too.

BTW, to add some positivity... Moorey can take hangers as well. Remember when this bloke was almost delisted?
Fairly or unfairly, club seems to have been a little shy with any highlights from this game as yet.(there were some lol).
Love to see one for Moorey's specky.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sammy has been amazing in encouraging our young side to play to their strengths and introducing an attacking game plan, and most weeks this has compensated for our very real weaknesses. But this was one game when there was no escape - the opposition midfield just better and stronger and eventually the dam wall broke. Sam admitted in his presser that he tried a few different things to change that, but nothing did the trick. Second time its happened this year, and it wont be the last. Each time is an important reality check (not that most of us need it!).
  • Nice to see Day get through the game, not a great game but he got a little bit of the footy and will be better for it.
  • JOM with 10 tackles and a good effort.
  • Seeing Lynch out there was great, and hopefully he pulls up ok and can prepare for an enormous challenge next week. About 65% of TOG, so hopefully that means coaches box was deliberately looking after him in preparation for next week? (or was he just knackered...)
  • Really looking for Jarman to have a better game against the Demons.
  • By the end of the match, a few younger players looked like they needed a Panadol and a lie down. Been a big few weeks for them.
Next week a scary prospect. Probably our most challenging week for a long time. Lets do our best and try to remember we on a journey.

Go Hawks.

In a positive note I'm very happy with DGB games yesterday as well as the last few weeks. He's progressing nicely without much fanfare.

Pardon the interruption. I thought DGB was terrific. Bar North decision making he would have ended up with us. Plenty of other young talent at Hawkville.

Really poor coaching from Mitchell. Once the Swans go up by 2 goals in the last quarter you have to do something. Get Breust or Wingard in the middle to be more competitive. Play some possession footy for a minute to stop the momentum. Anything! That was pathetic…
But what do we learn by putting Breust or Wingard into the middle?

We’ve got a bunch of kids who need to find ways to work through these sorts of periods in games, and we’ve got players like Worpel who need to step up, so I doubt the “plug and play” fix is what Sam would be looking for at this stage.

Wingard did go in late, but I understand why it wasn’t a priority.

It’s also why O’meara and Mitchell are playing different roles, rather than being the 1-2 punch at every centre bounce.

Sammy has been amazing in encouraging our young side to play to their strengths and introducing an attacking game plan, and most weeks this has compensated for our very real weaknesses. But this was one game when there was no escape - the opposition midfield just better and stronger and eventually the dam wall broke. Sam admitted in his presser that he tried a few different things to change that, but nothing did the trick. Second time its happened this year, and it wont be the last. Each time is an important reality check (not that most of us need it!).
  • Nice to see Day get through the game, not a great game but he got a little bit of the footy and will be better for it.
  • JOM with 10 tackles and a good effort.
  • Seeing Lynch out there was great, and hopefully he pulls up ok and can prepare for an enormous challenge next week. About 65% of TOG, so hopefully that means coaches box was deliberately looking after him in preparation for next week? (or was he just knackered...)
  • Really looking for Jarman to have a better game against the Demons.
  • By the end of the match, a few younger players looked like they needed a Panadol and a lie down. Been a big few weeks for them.
Next week a scary prospect. Probably our most challenging week for a long time. Lets do our best and try to remember we on a journey.

Go Hawks.
If we get CJ and Mitch back, I'm strangely confident we're a sneaky chance . In between the bad stuff, we played some absolutely scintillating footy on the weekend, so if we bring that across 3-4 quarters, watch out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was a fun game yesterday, bar the absurd umpiring reckon Sydney put the clamps down on our main ball users and with lynch burning out and us not taking our chances / defending our chances we put ourselves in a loosing position.

Great game for development and getting the balance right between all our attack and defence but you can see what Sam is trying to do, a year of polish and having two fit rucks and we will look a lot differently. If we can get a fit Reeves and Lynch on the park by year end reckon we will push for finals, but if they aren’t their it will be hard.

Cannot wait for a fit Day, you can just see how bad he wants to win. CJ is really an important piece in our defence, he makes teams worry and provides that run we desperately need.

Even though it was a bad 4th quarter which I put down to how s**t the umpiring was and the players cracking it after already being pretty gassed I still see the game as a positive in development with more pieces slowly coming together.

Lynch was jumping over land hams in the first quarter and then looked cooked but has really suprised me. DGB the other that is starting to look like he belongs, you can tell he just loves it.

Umpires, seriously incompetent, to not allow the conversation on how s**t they are, we get to this point, the biggest blight is how they are allowed to pay 50-60 frees on average a game now. Should be capped or they start being fined, and the boundary umpires should all be sacked, wtf. In some morbid way, making it harder for us just helps the team develop faster and be ready for finals.

Love his presser again . No messing around, no excuses , no deflection .
Despite how messy it all was we have a belter of a coach .

Just need to back him in when we have these downs in performance
Correct. Regardless of circumstance you can't accept dropping off so dramatically at the end of a game. That's what I discussed regarding standards you set and that's not what Sam wants to see. No excuses is exactly what I want to hear from a coach. They were just as young as us.

Yeah it's infuriating that the Swans are pretty young and already probably a top 4 side in the comp.
ATM it's 5 teams out in front. Been a while since I've seen 4 teams all on 5-1 after 6 rounds. Either those teams have had easy draws or there's more genuine contenders this year. Melbourne Brisbane and Sydney look to be the best teams in it.

ATM it's 5 teams out in front. Been a while since I've seen 4 teams all on 5-1 after 6 rounds. Either those teams have had easy draws or there's more genuine contenders this year. Melbourne Brisbane and Sydney look to be the best teams in it.

I still think Geelong will somehow worm their way into a top 4 finish ahead of the Saints and Freo.

If we get CJ and Mitch back, I'm strangely confident we're a sneaky chance . In between the bad stuff, we played some absolutely scintillating footy on the weekend, so if we bring that across 3-4 quarters, watch out.
I hope you right Bedi, but I’m reading that CJ and Mitch not available and with the short break for us I’m abit less optimistic this week.

But agree - at times we play such exciting footy.

Fairly or unfairly, club seems to have been a little shy with any highlights from this game as yet.(there were some lol).
Love to see one for Moorey's specky.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app
You can find it in the AFL website under "Mark of the Year"! :)

279295592_10228239472954603_2903197056251979723_n.jpg

Lynch looked great early! Hopefully he'll be better for the run and be able to impact a greater % of games in the next few weeks.

I personally thought that being in front with 10 minutes on the clock against a touted top 4 side who was coming off a 10 day break and with our injuries during the week was a great effort. A lot to learn but still a great effort.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back