Game Day Round 6, 2023 - GWS vs. Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlanod's favourite day of the season!
It is my understanding as we sit here today that dlanod bats for both sides.

b673f90384c2fecece9f6253bfa6767d.gif

I played 11 seasons in Canberra but not sure why I am not getting excited over today's game. Perhaps coz we r playing a team wearing orange. Really looking forward to the 2s tho to see Brain n co also against an orange team. Not making much sense this early morning.

I’m in Canberra for this game again. Last year Matho got two Brownlow votes and Greene single handily kept them in the game. He scored every time they went forward.

Need to keep him quiet and I would like to see Hipwood in the votes. I am close to dropping him for Fort!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I swear I tried to keep this short 🙄🤦

TL;DR
1. Starce needs to wear Greene like a glove
2. Whoever Taylor goes to should act as a decoy forward

Looking forward to seeing us bring the style of game today we've brought the last fortnight. Having said, adopting that "hunter" mindset implies we also pay respect to the strengths of our opponents and devise methods to neutralise them.

To be honest I haven't seen enough of the Giants to know how we best do that. But if it's me I'm trying to blanket Toby Greene. Probably Starce has first crack at him, but he has a history of getting off the chain against us, even moreso than other teams.

So preventing him space to lead (either up field or back towards goal) will be crucial, and much will depend on our other backs to be able to peel off their man and either intercept mark or simply block those spaces. Which so far this season we've been able to do reasonably well.

If their talls are targeted in the air, massive spoils either out of bounds or to clear the immediate area where he'll likely be lurking. If they do get an inside 50 stoppage, be goal side and wear him like a glove. None of this is rocket science, but is easier said than done, and no doubt the Giants will have stoppage plans to lay blocks etc to get him loose. It will take a team effort down there.

At the other end, I suspect Taylor will take whichever of our talls plays closest to goal. I'd caution against using that as an opportunity to clear all our talls out and play Charlie one out. I'll say it till I'm blue in the face: I've never seen it work in finals, for any team, and I don't think we should spend any (more) time practising it.

I think instead we'd be better off playing (you'd assume) Gunston as close to goal as reasonably possible at all times, or have him lead as wide as possible to the pockets. Almost have him play a decoy role, creating space in our 50 for our smalls to get creative with their leading patterns. But still have him be a target close to goal if we need to kick to a contest.

I really think this is the next iteration of our playing style anyway. Whether we see it today or not, I guess time will tell, but I can't possibly imagine teams will keep giving our key forwards all that space out the back we got from Collingwood and particularly North.

So I think in coming weeks we're going to see our talls marked more closely, which will open up more space for our smalls to lead up field, or for our mids to run/handball forward into scoring position. If this happens, we'll see whether we can be smart enough to identify that and respond accordingly.

On the other hand, if Taylor is given a specific assignment, fantastic. Draw him out beyond 50, and bypass that contest, given we'll likely have some pretty favourable one on one match ups inside 50.

In midfield, I don't know much about how they've been playing. If they want to handball, let's see how our intercept game goes. If they want to turn it into a bit of aerial ping pong with some ugly pressure kicks forward, it'll need to be a big day for McKenna and Coleman if it comes to ground.

I recognise that outside of Greene and Taylor I've not given the individuals in their team anywhere near the respect they deserve. On paper they have some bloody good players. Hopefully our players and coaches recognise that and have thought a bit deeper than me 🙂

Last edited:
I’m in Canberra for this game again. Last year Matho got two Brownlow votes and Greene single handily kept them in the game. He scored every time they went forward.

Need to keep him quiet and I would like to see Hipwood in the votes. I am close to dropping him for Fort!!!
When do you meet with the match committee Doc?

I swear I tried to keep this short 🙄🤦

TL;DR
1. Starce needs to wear Greene like a glove
2. Whoever Taylor goes to should act as a decoy forward

Looking forward to seeing us bring the style of game today we've brought the last fortnight. Having said, adopting that "hunter" mindset implies we also pay respect to the strengths of our opponents and devise methods to neutralise them.

To be honest I haven't seen enough of the Giants to know how we best do that. But if it's me I'm trying to blanket Toby Greene. Probably Starce has first crack at him, but he has a history of getting off the chain against us, even moreso than other teams.

So preventing him space to lead (either up field or back towards goal) will be crucial, and much will depend on our other backs to be able to peel off their man and either intercept mark or simply block those spaces. Which so far this season we've been able to do reasonably well.

If their talls are targeted in the air, massive spoils either out of bounds or to clear the immediate area where he'll likely be lurking. If they do get an inside 50 stoppage, be goal side and wear him like a glove. None of this is rocket science, but is easier said than done, and no doubt the Giants will have stoppage plans to lay blocks etc to get him loose. It will take a team effort down there.

At the other end, I suspect Taylor will take whichever of our talls plays closest to goal. I'd caution against using that as an opportunity to clear all our talls out and play Charlie one out. I'll say it till I'm blue in the face: I've never seen it work in finals, for any team, and I don't think we should spend any (more) time practising it.

I think instead we'd be better off playing (you'd assume) Gunston as close to goal as reasonably possible at all times, or have him lead as wide as possible to the pockets. Almost have him play a decoy role, creating space in our 50 for our smalls to get creative with their leading patterns. But still have him be a target close to goal if we need to kick to a contest.

I really think this is the next iteration of our playing style anyway. Whether we see it today or not, I guess time will tell, but I can't possibly imagine teams will keep giving our key forwards all that space out the back we got from Collingwood and particularly North.

So I think in coming weeks we're going to see our talls marked more closely, which will open up more space for our smalls to lead up field, or for our mids to run/handball forward into scoring position. If this happens, we'll see whether we can be smart enough to identify that and respond accordingly.

On the other hand, if Taylor is given a specific assignment, fantastic. Draw him out beyond 50, and bypass that contest, given we'll likely have some pretty favourable one on one match ups inside 50.

In midfield, I don't know much about how they've been playing. If they want to handball, let's see how our intercept game goes. If they want to turn it into a bit of aerial ping pong with some ugly pressure kicks forward, it'll need to be a big day for McKenna and Coleman if it comes to ground.

I recognise that outside of Greene and Taylor I've not given the individuals in their team anywhere near the respect they deserve. On paper they have some bloody good players. Hopefully our players and coaches recognise that and have thought a bit deeper than me 🙂
Green is always a danger plays a lot taller than around 181cm. Hogan is apparently clunking plenty of marks just has not kicked straight, Himmelberg how good was that contested pack mark with 2 min to go last week and kicking the goal, one of the hottest FA around at the end of this year. They have one of the better KPD in the comp, so it will be a challenging game, but expect our midfield to get on top and win by 4 or 5 goals, but any win will do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back