University of Tasmania Stadium, 1.10pm AEST

B:
Changkuoth Jiath, Denver Grainger-Barras, Sam Frost
HB: Jarman Impey, Blake Hardwick, James Sicily
C: Conor Nash, James Worpel, Karl Amon
HF: Harry Morrison, Dylan Moore, Connor Macdonald
F: Chad Wingard, Fergus Greene, Luke Breust
R: Ned Reeves, Jai Newcombe, Ned Long
INT (from): Cam Mackenzie, Lloyd Meek, Seamus Mitchell, Tyler Brockman, Jack Scrimshaw, Josh Ward, Finn Maginness, Max Lynch

In: Jack Scrimshaw, Finn Maginness, Max Lynch

FINAL 22

ROUND 6 TEAM
Hawthorn v Adelaide Crows
Sunday 23 April
University of Tasmania Stadium, 1.10pm (AEST)

B:
Changkuoth Jiath, Denver Grainger-Barras, Sam Frost
HB:
Jarman Impey, Blake Hardwick, James Sicily
C: Conor Nash, James Worpel, Karl Amon
HF: Harry Morrison, Dylan Moore, Connor Macdonald
F: Chad Wingard, Fergus Greene, Luke Breust
R: Ned Reeves, Jai Newcombe, Ned Long
INT: Cam Mackenzie, Seamus Mitchell, Tyler Brockman, Max Lynch

In: Max Lynch

Out: Lloyd Meek (omitted), Josh Ward (managed)

Last edited by a moderator:

Good to see Lynchy come in for Meek - he's been dominating in the twos, and handy up forward.

Otherwise, hope the squad stays the same - although I have a half sneaking suspicion Maginess comes in, purely to place a tag on Dawson. But Nash could also apply a soft tag, so we shall see.

Also curious to see how our CBA evolves when Day comes back + if Ned Long plays, I hope he gets a little more CBA/mid minutes this game:

1682039744580.png

Source: CBAs - DFS Australia

It's interesting how the Day vs Newcombe dominated CBA's give us very different looks - Day is very poised and composed, Jai very explosive. I'd argue they are our best duo + Nash, but then Worps does struggle out of the centre, so it's an interesting conundrum.

gucci mane dancing GIF

Good to see Lynchy come in for Meek - he's been dominating in the twos, and handy up forward.

Otherwise, hope the squad stays the same - although I have a half sneaking suspicion Maginess comes in, purely to place a tag on Dawson. But Nash could also apply a soft tag, so we shall see.

Also curious to see how our CBA evolves when Day comes back + if Ned Long plays, I hope he gets a little more CBA/mid minutes this game:

View attachment 1666161

It's interesting how the Day vs Newcombe dominated CBA's give us very different looks - Day is very poised and composed, Jai very explosive. I'd argue they are our best duo + Nash, but then Worps does struggle out of the centre, so it's an interesting conundrum.
I stumbled across that site a few days ago - it's interesting to see the spreads of other teams - some clubs are running the same 3-4 all day, most are running 6-7 players through.

It's pretty clear our preference for Reeves/Nash in the middle coincides with better competitiveness on field, similarly Ward is clearly the 'next' onballer - I wonder if he can absorb more of Newcombe/Day/Nash's minutes and push up to 50% of CBAs without pulling Worpel down.

It also emphasises just how thin we are in the midfield still, McKenzie the only other to get time on ball, and most of his his debut.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I stumbled across that site a few days ago - it's interesting to see the spreads of other teams - some clubs are running the same 3-4 all day, most are running 6-7 players through.

It's pretty clear our preference for Reeves/Nash in the middle coincides with better competitiveness on field, similarly Ward is clearly the 'next' onballer - I wonder if he can absorb more of Newcombe/Day/Nash's minutes and push up to 50% of CBAs without pulling Worpel down.

It also emphasises just how thin we are in the midfield still, McKenzie the only other to get time on ball, and most of his his debut.
What do you mean thin in the midfield? We don't have a single player inside the top 50 for % of centre bounce attendances. The combination of Reeves, Nash, Newcombe, Day, Ward and Worpel is a bigger spread than most other clubs have. Take Freo as an example, they have 3 players in the top 20 - Darcy, Serong, Brayshaw all attend over 80% of CBAs. A thinner midfield would have less players attending more centre bounces.

Wouldn't necessarily say thin - I'd say more Mitchell, with TOM & JOM gone, was experimenting with best midfield mix. He definitely threw the magnets at it in Week 1.

Pretty amazing he's already pulled together what is a strong clearance grouping only 5-6 rounds in, with Day to still come back in. Mitchell is just letting Cam, Wardy and Long rotate into the centre just as they should get some exposure and gives us something different.

For example, Mackenzie offers seriously good disposal by foot, so having him in the centre is nice at times, provided we can offset his light frame with heavier bodies. If we get the ball to him from a CBA, it's a strong likelihood he uses it cleanly by foot to a target. His presence in the middle is more a compliment to how good he is at 18, rather than a knock on our depth stocks.

I'd argue our midfield is the only overperforming aspect of our team compared with last year (although being 18th last year, it's only up from there).

View attachment 1666161

Needs more McDonald for mine, and I’d like to see more Ned Long in there too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back