AFL Autopsy Round 6: 36 Point loss to the Demons

Remove this Banner Ad

This may sound like an overreaction, but it's not. We need a COMPLETE rebuild of our club. Not just a clean out of a few old guys. Talking the football department, coaches, managers, everything from top to bottom. Clean out all the s**t and start fresh. Forget Carlton, Brisbane and Gold Coast. At the moment, Essendon is easily the most dysfunctional club in the league.
You're right.

That does sound like a total overreaction

Listening to Worsfold sounds like Trump. “we want to be a GREAT team, more work is required to be a GREAT team”. Quality insights there. Please give the fans more than throwaway plaitudes.

Some times I would like him to say that "What we saw today wasn't good enough we are all very disapointed with how we played we will workd hard druing the week" none of this "We want to be great team" crap

Woosha isn't going to do a song and dance number at a presser any time soon. It's going to be a long year waiting for one.

Dead bat / dead pan. Like it or lump it it's how he rolls.
Yup. Those things aren't for the supporters. It's more about controlling the narrative in the media and trying to give the team some clear air (or the right sort of air, perhaps clear isn't ideal?) Largely what he has to say is defined by the questions that the media ask as well, and the media are always looking for an angle. I think he plays them well.

The message from the coach video (that's emailed to members) on the other hand used to be more open about stuff. Not necessarily 100% tell you everything, but admit mistakes, say what you're gonna do about it. Not just a broad glossy headline sorta stuff. I haven't really noticed whether it has changed or not, although I have the impression that Hird's were better.

I think wanting to know what's going on really requires you to watch a lot of club media and read between the lines. Post-match interviews with a couple of players seem to be recorded after every game, before they go into the team debrief. They're usually more interesting than most of the other content, alongside articles from particular favoured journos (such as Cal Twomey and that Stevo guy from channel 7) that clearly have sources at the club.

Listening to Worsfold sounds like Trump. “we want to be a GREAT team, more work is required to be a GREAT team”. Quality insights there. Please give the fans more than throwaway plaitudes.

Only difference being that Trump would sack half this team, and then start tweeting about how fake, dumb or lazy the players are.

Agree on Woosha. When other coaches suffer really bad losses, you can see and hear the disappointment, anger, frustration etc. during the presser. Woosha gives nothing. Just hope for the players he's not like that behind the scenes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree on Woosha. When other coaches suffer really bad losses, you can see and hear the disappointment, anger, frustration etc. during the presser. Woosha gives nothing. Just hope for the players he's not like that behind the scenes.
Most coaches give little at pressers. They only exist to please the networks. Even Bolton puts a positive spin on things.

Yeah, they come across as lame but we don't want to end up like Malthouse was in the end.

Reading between the lines there i'd say Woosha gave it to them about effort and commitment after the game. He'd have to keep it somewhat positive as it's so early in the season, but I think his post match reviews with the players are far more spirited than his media performances.
Also attitude, persistence, resilience. Keep the game basic, don't overcomplicate it, become good at what we do.

About Kobe: Played the way we want to play, did his role, worked super hard <- I think these are the KPIs.

The thing that's running through my head over and over right now is "play your role, play your role, play your ROLE, play YOUR role, PLAY your role, play your role, play your role"

So this bloke got kicked out for being aggressive and getting in Gawn’s face.
Any chance we can get him in our midfield?

aVWYNTN.jpg

I hope the guy is banned from the footy for life - He's a disgrace.

I know it’s early but for me there’s shades of 2015 about this season and some of our matches so far.... hard to watch, without doubt the worst season I can recall

Look...i don’t think it’s conspiracy theories about Worsfold’s gameplan not computing with the game day sides or he’s not connecting with the players etc..

We have mentally weak players out there who are not in a mindset of relentless aggressive attack on man and ball.

The whole side as a whole has lost its way...remember that practice match v Geelong a few months back?

The signs were there. We are wandering into games hoping to play well.

We have forgotten what it’s like to be a strong confident side. And so many new players in and out last few years it’s hard to weld them together into a machine working together.

Watson’s example of hardness in the packs has gone and so has his leadership.

Heppell is not a midfielder FFS. He just hasn’t got the pace required and he’s no J.Kennedy either to make up for it.

Halfback reader of the flight of ball is his calling. It’s plain to see.

Anyway....I think we need to hit rock bottom even further. Get a good old fashion 12 goal flogging and see if we can change something in the group mindset that forces them to look at themselves with total honesty.

Goddard is just a waste out there this year too. Annoys me he’s taking a spot every week.
Waste of time. Should’ve done a Norf /Harvey thing and cut the cord. Bring in youth god damn it...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back