AFL Autopsy Round 6: 38 Point loss to Melbourne

Hold me?

• I got you bro!

Votes: 28 62.2%
  • Eww gross.

Votes: 17 37.8%

• Total voters
Petracca was flattered big time with his game - Was barely involved and got on he end of a few cheapies - Petracca hasn't come on as much as I expected, but of course he is still a young player.
Petracca is always dangerous, he is a gun. Would rather have him than McCartin.

I have no issue with Gleeson and McKenna not being in the same team - Dea struggled which was more a case of the coaches performance, rather than Dea.
I didn't mind Dea's game in the first half. Was more effective than Gleeson and McKenna put together.

I have no issue with Gleeson and McKenna not being in the same team - Dea struggled which was more a case of the coaches performance, rather than Dea.

It's quite obvious that we haven't worked out our best combination yet in the backline despite it being our best stocked area.

I want Hurley, Hartley and Ambrose as the talls and Dea, McKenna and McGrath as the smalls with a couple of others rolling through but I don't think I'm going to get my way.

Jan 10, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Personally thought TBC played a very reasonable game given that it was hid first in 695 days.

Melbourne ran us off our legs and while our backline was trying to play all out pacey attack, Melbourne (who had obviously studied our game plan) stood waiting to intercept and then kicked the ball straight back to their forwards who were 10 metres in the clear.

Saint

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 1, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Personally thought TBC played a very reasonable game given that it was hid first in 695 days.

Melbourne ran us off our legs and while our backline was trying to play all out pacey attack, Melbourne (who had obviously studied our game plan) stood waiting to intercept and then kicked the ball straight back to their forwards who were 10 metres in the clear.
Yeah, I'm not sure our defenders have the class the execute such a game plan at this point, but the only way to learn is to give it a go.

I thought the whole team looked tired by comparison to the Demons, not unexpected given recent history and proximity of ANZAC day.

I've always thought this year was building for next year and the weekend I'm willing to write off with excuses rather than suggest anything needs to be changed, I think we're still headed in the right direction.

efcboy

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2007
Essendon
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Arsenal

TBC had one disposal in the first half - a poor handball that resulted in a turnover. He improved in the 2nd half around the ground but at at no stage did he impose himself in the ruck. Sure he won the hit outs but they were meaningless stats as they weren't directed with any purpose.

I thought his first half was pathetic and his second half just ok.

efcboy

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2007
Essendon
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Arsenal
Kudos to Simon Goodwin - I watched him pre-match. He made a point to get around to pretty much all the guys who had been suspended and welcome them back. He was part of that group and it was a nice gesture for him to do that.

Although maybe it helped him as I thought our guys played far too nice! We don't have much mongrel in our side at present.

TBC had one disposal in the first half - a poor handball that resulted in a turnover. He improved in the 2nd half around the ground but at at no stage did he impose himself in the ruck. Sure he won the hit outs but they were meaningless stats as they weren't directed with any purpose.

I thought his first half was pathetic and his second half just ok.

They were directed but the midfield couldn't take advantage of many of them. Can't just blame him. Took some good contested marks second half.

Oct 2, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Miami Dolphins
They were directed but the midfield couldn't take advantage of many of them. Can't just blame him. Took some good contested marks second half.

Yes, apparently a ruckman spending time (months and years) playing and practicing with his midfielders helps with the old tapping to advantage thingy :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Yes, apparently ruckmen spending time (months and years) playing and practicing with his midfielders helps with the old tapping to advantage thingy :rolleyes:

Well yeah, considering he hasn't played for two years and had quite a few disrupted pre seasons. He did palm down quite a few to advantage anyway.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
I thought Belly put in a case to be our number 1.
Rusty early and not helped by a midfield with a poor work rate. But he presented as a strong marking option out of defence and into the fwd line.
Would persist with him and Joey in support for the remainder of the season. Needs to get a bit more Nank/Mummy into his game and hit some opposition midfielders with the frame once confident in it.
Hooker up to CHF, Belly to FF when resting and Joey in ruck.
Francis as third tall.
Tippa, Green & Fantasia around their feet.

Back