AFL Autopsy Round 6: 38 Point loss to Melbourne

Hold me?

• I got you bro!

Votes: 28 62.2%
  • Eww gross.

Votes: 17 37.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

My issue with Hepp is that he seems to go for the handball before anything else, comparing him with Walla, he seems almost always to be rushed wheres Walla will often stand and then go or will take a few steps then stop then dispose of the ball.
I don't agree with this. There are times when Heppell is a bit like Pendulbury with his ability to remain composed in traffic and I have seen it in flashes this year. Anyone is going to look rushed from time to time, even Walla. Heppell hasn't come back to be as good as he was before the suspension but, along with the others, he's missed a lot of football and has been alright. The signs are well and truly there, just give him a bit of time.

Shocking free. Clearly was just a terrible mistake.

On the game itself, we have this amazing ability to not show up as a side on a regular basis and have had for 10 years. When we want to be 'on', we can be good, but if we don't show up mentally then we look slow, flat, lethargic and uninterested. We need to get some serious psychological help.
Don't we have this?

Gee the Dees spread far better than us from the contest. I was sitting front row on level 3 and you could see it at every contest, every free kick and every stoppage...clearly needs some work and I am a little worried that we have the same type of player going through the midfield...Watson, Heppell, Goddard, Howlett and Myers coming in this week. I have not been surprised seeing Walla in there at times to inject some pace from the stoppages.

Well i flew down to see yesterday's game. One of my mates (Tim the hero of Horsham) drove 300km to get me and we sat level 2.

Great crowd just a disappointing result.

GOOD - Hurley (man mountain in defence). Pidge's second half (they boy is special). BJ's composure. TBC first game back. Small forwards 2nd and 3rd efforts trying to keep ball in our 50.

BAD - Kicking efficiency (woeful). Lot of tired players needing a week off. No intensity or chasing or hustle in the 2nd half.

UGLY - Kicking for goal. Too much handball. Poor selection/vision. Cale Hooker doesn't have forward instincts to know where to run and position himself. It's not something you can "teach". Us closing our eyes and not being able to look when Joe was kicking for goal after we saw the first 3 kicks.

BEST Hurley, BJ, TBC then daylight!
WORST Mitch Brown, Baguley, Gleeson, Dea, Zaharakis

Last edited:
Don't agree. 7 contested marks. 33 hit outs. 1 goal. I thought he played well. He continually palmed the ball to our midfielders and they were simply incapable of collecting the ball cleanly. And compared to Luey, he can actually kick long and straight.
Occasionally, less than statistically likely

I don't agree with this. There are times when Heppell is a bit like Pendulbury with his ability to remain composed in traffic and I have seen it in flashes this year. Anyone is going to look rushed from time to time, even Walla. Heppell hasn't come back to be as good as he was before the suspension but, along with the others, he's missed a lot of football and has been alright. The signs are well and truly there, just give him a bit of time.

There are times when Hepp is outstanding but there are times when he seems to handball before looking, he might be reacting to voices but sometimes he and a few others seem to play hot potato with the ball rather than seek to kick the ball clear but this comes back to how they set up at the pull ups.

Just listening to Slobbo On SEN. Talks a lot of nonsense but made some good points re poor ol Daniher.

i.e. it kills morale when players are trying their hearts out and the forwards are missing goal after goal.

Further to that, if you kick the goal is goes back to the middle of the ground, as opposed to the opposition gaining possession.

It's not just the direct impact on the scoreboard, there is a big flow on factor.

He went as far as to way Daniher lost the game for us. I think the best way to put it is that we have no idea what would have happened had it not been for Daniher losing the plot yesterday.

That was an abortion of a game. Hurley was sensational, McGrath again with polish. BJ very solid. TBC pitiful till half time. Showed a little after halftime but still well short considering he was up against Pedersen. I couldnt even yell, i just had to laugh otherwise i would have cried. On a side note, Etihad is a pathetic venue and i won't be Essendon games there anymore. Overall, a s**t day all round.

Just listening to Slobbo On SEN. Talks a lot of nonsense but made some good points re poor ol Daniher.

i.e. it kills morale when players are trying their hearts out and the forwards are missing goal after goal.

Further to that, if you kick the goal is goes back to the middle of the ground, as opposed to the opposition gaining possession.

It's not just the direct impact on the scoreboard, there is a big flow on factor.

He went as far as to way Daniher lost the game for us. I think the best way to put it is that we have no idea what would have happened had it not been for Daniher losing the plot yesterday.
Slobbos job is to create discussion that can in some way enhance his brand and for those of his employers! I wouldn't put to much faith in what he says.

Good teams don't drop their heads as Slobbo is suggesting and to blame Joe for that is ridiculous.

Although his kicking was disappointing when it comes time for Joe to sit down with his line coach and review the tapes, i'm sure they will be telling him to continue to present to the football which is what he did and the rest will look after itself.

Same goes for his teammates.! They don't get a free pass because Joe had a stinker with the ball.

Bulldogs won the premiership last year they had a great gameplan and more importantly they had players that carried out that gameplan even through adversity.

You only have to look at the personnel they lost towards the end of the season to see that they had great belief in each other and it didn't matter who was filling the roles.

If we are to be a good side that's what we need to aim towards.

Slobbos job is to create discussion that can in some way enhance his brand and for those of his employers! I wouldn't put to much faith in what he says.

Good teams don't drop their heads as Slobbo is suggesting and to blame Joe for that is ridiculous.

Although his kicking was disappointing when it comes time for Joe to sit down with his line coach and review the tapes, i'm sure they will be telling him to continue to present to the football which is what he did and the rest will look after itself.

Same goes for his teammates.! They don't get a free pass because Joe had a stinker with the ball.

Bulldogs won the premiership last year they had a great gameplan and more importantly they had players that carried out that gameplan even through adversity.

You only have to look at the personnel they lost towards the end of the season to see that they had great belief in each other and it didn't matter who was filling the roles.

If we are to be a good side that's what we need to aim towards.
Fair call.

What I also find funny is people going on about the ball drop, technique etc.

If he can kick goals from outside 50 it has to be mental. Poor bugger.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair call.

This is great video from the head analytic/strategy guy that was a major player in Hawthorns premierships.

He makes some great points and it says a lot about how and why Hawthorn were so successful in winning tight games during their premiership years.

Seemed like nearly every time we kicked a goal the demons would get a quick answer. Joe was just playing it smarter, kick a point lock it in kick another point...

man I would absolutely love to know what Essendon's "expected score" would have been at all the changes yesterday
To Melbourne's credit they blocked the channel very well and both Joe and Hooker were forced to the right pocket a lot.

He still needs to nail them but he had an off day.

Had Daniher kicked perfectly we would have gone in at HT with a score of 10.2.62, plus he had one out on the full so we could have been 11.2.68 yet instead we went in at HT at 4.8.32, Melbourne might still have come out after HT like they did but it would have been a different ball game.

To Melbourne's credit they blocked the channel very well and both Joe and Hooker were forced to the right pocket a lot.

He still needs to nail them but he had an off day.

That should suit Daniher more because he is a better kick around his body. I'd love to know why he was kicking drop punts instead around his body. He should never, ever kick a drop punt close to goal. He was also very selfish on a few occasions which was very dissapointing. He had an absolute stinker and could have cost us the game. The way he laughed after finally kicking a goal was piss poor also.

Hurley and Goddard we're good, a couple of others we're OK.

There is no point in us playing a ruckman. Even if we do even up the hitouts we still get smashed in the midfield. Better off playing McKernan, who can win clearances and actually do something around the ground.

After going through a range of emotions at the game yesterday including excitement, frustration, annoyance, exasperation and amusement I have come to the conclusion that yesterday tells me little about anyone in our team except that Hurley is back, McGrath continues to impress and TBC got some much needed game time.

Everyone and everything else simply falls under the category of us being a team who have young players in positions that require more seasoning to back up each week with returning players still getting their match conditioning. I think overall we are an improving team but part of that transition will include inconsistency. We are 3-3 after finishing 18th last season with realistically 6 underdone (match wise) players included in that team. Which begs the question, why such high expectations?

We will get more days like yesterday this year but I think the trick is to look at the overall trend longer term. I firmly believe we are on the right track and happy to give most players (losing my patience with Zaka) a mulligan regarding yesterday. Our baby is fine and growing in the right direction, no need to throw it out with yesterday's dirty bathwater.

Really like our youth. Joe Daniher has the weight of expectation on his shoulders and he's played ok so far this year. Had he nailed a few of those goals we may have plugged the momentum and got a run on but what the hell.

Rome wasn't built in a day. Kids looking great this year.

McGrath looks so good. Going to the VFL this weekend so I'm hoping some of our youth will perform!

I think that's incredibly harsh on Heppell, tbh. His two way running could definitely be better but most disappointing? Surely not.

Also one thing I didn't mention yesterday - that free to Watts against Dea in the third. What in the actual **** was that? What was Dea meant to do exactly?
When it happened I looked at Lance Uppercut, with whom i attended the game, and said that's bullshit. He smiled and said yes

Fair call.

Maybe he needs to go back another 15 and attack the run off like he is in general play. He is unorthodox so try unorthodox

Back