Round 6 and 7: New Fixtures

Remove this Banner Ad

Considering the 10 postcodes only cover half of the confirmed cases in Victoria, I'm not sure if I'd feel comfortable with the Victorian government allowing the decision for AFL players to come into the state if the shoe was on the other foot.

But whatever Queenslanders are comfortable with...
i guess with regular testing, being in hotels and away from the general public, and warmer weather (?), maybe the risk is considered low?

What information has changed between Monday & today that makes the Victorian clubs safe to fly into Queensland? The AFL hasn't changed the hub process, the COVID case numbers haven't changed, the only difference is 10 postcodes are under lockdown. As I said IF I was a Queenslander I'd think that the decision would be putting the public at risk from the "filthy Victorians".

This has nothing to do with my view on what it happening in Victoria and trying to understand why Queensland is flip flopping on changes so quickly.
Yeah the AFL and the QLD government have negotiated exemptions to get the 6 teams/6 games here, definite power move. However the only exemption I can see is that quarantined teams will be allowed to play the teams that have been here for awhile, that’s it.

For Round 5 Richmond would not have been quarantined whereas this time they will be, along with every other Vic team. That’s the main difference. And allowing say Freo vs St Kilda (non quarantined vs quarantined) as the only exemption is worth it for the government to get to become the home of footy

Considering the 10 postcodes only cover half of the confirmed cases in Victoria, I'm not sure if I'd feel comfortable with the Victorian government allowing the decision for AFL players to come into the state if the shoe was on the other foot.

But whatever Queenslanders are comfortable with...
Hoping Jim cornette and Vince Russo safe lol

And allowing say Freo vs St Kilda (non quarantined vs quarantined) as the only exemption is worth it for the government to get to become the home of footy
and in this case, freo will be on plane and out asap after the game, so not hanging around to possibly infect people

Yeah the AFL and the QLD government have negotiated exemptions to get the 6 teams/6 games here, definite power move. However the only exemption I can see is that quarantined teams will be allowed to play the teams that have been here for awhile, that’s it.

For Round 5 Richmond would not have been quarantined whereas this time they will be, along with every other Vic team. That’s the main difference. And allowing say Freo vs St Kilda (non quarantined vs quarantined) as the only exemption is worth it for the government to get to become the home of footy

This is what I've been trying to say--- acknowledging it as a power move is perfectly fine, but it's difficult to claim that the decision on Monday was for "public health" reasons.

This is what I've been trying to say--- acknowledging it as a power move is perfectly fine, but it's difficult to claim that the decision on Monday was for "public health" reasons.
It can be both, the decision on Monday was definitely for public health reasons to ensure that QLD was safe. Without that directive, you could have had teams in Victoria flying in and out of here constantly which would have been a major concern.

Compared to today’s decision which makes every team quarantine still, with one exemption that Billy ray pointed out won’t even risk Queenslanders at all, is an easy decision to make for the government

I would've thought that the Saints would have been a good option for another prime time match on FTA given our form and attacking style, rather than two more games on foxtel.

Considering the footy we've played over the last decade, its understandable that there's a bit of hesitancy about giving us prime slots, but the flexible fixture seems like a good time to play around with it.

I would've thought that the Saints would have been a good option for another prime time match on FTA given our form and attacking style, rather than two more games on foxtel.

Considering the footy we've played over the last decade, its understandable that there's a bit of hesitancy about giving us prime slots, but the flexible fixture seems like a good time to play around with it.
You guys were meant to have FTA in rd 6 on Thursday Night vs the Cats. When the fixture got upended, so did that game.

Issue with the hubs is that Metricon is being used twice a day for matches. In Rd6 You play freo, Essendon play North same day. So Ch7 picked the game with 2 VIC clubs. That's unlucky. For Rd 7 you're playing Monday night which looks to be a fox exclusive. Yea that's like semi-prime time, but not FTA which sucks.

What information has changed between Monday & today that makes the Victorian clubs safe to fly into Queensland? The AFL hasn't changed the hub process, the COVID case numbers haven't changed, the only difference is 10 postcodes are under lockdown. As I said IF I was a Queenslander I'd think that the decision would be putting the public at risk from the "filthy Victorians".

This has nothing to do with my view on what it happening in Victoria and trying to understand why Queensland is flip flopping on changes so quickly.

Honestly actually I am a bit concerned and a little annoyed with the backflip (though I will most likely still go to a few of these games anyway because it's good footy live) due to it being pretty bloody inconsistent.

I literally just bought my first beer from the bar in months, I don't want to have the disappear in a matter of a couple of weeks :(

Correct, did Fitzroy put an * on the 1944 flag? 4 team comp bottom of the ladder and win the flag. Or any other war year flag where some teams like my own couldn’t play.
What about 1897, do Essendon put an * on that because a GF was not played? I don’t think so.
They all count.

Don't use logic here you'll confuse too many people.

I'd suggest that if you have been complete dogshit at overcoming the obstacles you're not going to win the premiership.

What if every single side has been complete dogshit....

....discusss

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder if asked a year ago "what reason could the AFL possibly have to have Hawthorn vs Collingwood at Giants Stadium" no one would have a clue.

I'm not so sure. The AFL would have done just about anything to pimp itself out in order to promote the game in Western Sydney.

Last edited:
I wonder if asked a year ago "what reason could the AFL possibly have to have Hawthorn vs Collingwood at Giants Stadium" no one would have a clue.

I'd assume a Hawthorn home game got moved for promotional purposes as a money spinner in western Sydney.

The more completely unpredictable scenario would be Geelong vs Collingwood in a Thursday night blockbuster...at Optus Stadium.

I'd assume a Hawthorn home game got moved for promotional purposes as a money spinner in western Sydney.

The more completely unpredictable scenario would be Geelong vs Collingwood in a Thursday night blockbuster...at Optus Stadium.

It would have been a cunning plan by Geelong to get Tim Kelly to stay by moving home games to his state...

The Northern Territory has been COVID-free for weeks. Time for an Alice Springs hub. It's got a nice ground, with crowds, and decent weather this time of year. What's not to like?

And the concept seems to be working well for the airline industry:

09836f014d066640ce779514fc909891.jpg

i guess with regular testing, being in hotels and away from the general public, and warmer weather (?), maybe the risk is considered low?
Yep, as long as the Victorian players don't start drinking scotch.... they could end up confused, lost and naked on the glitter strip.

The Northern Territory has been COVID-free for weeks. Time for an Alice Springs hub. It's got a nice ground, with crowds, and decent weather this time of year. What's not to like?

And the concept seems to be working well for the airline industry:

View attachment 905294
Suck on that china

This years premiership is becoming more and more asterisky
The season won't finish, there is no way teams are going to accept being away for 3-4 months which the way things are going down here is the only way to end the season.

Might as well cancel it now and get ready for 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Back