Round 6 and 7: New Fixtures

Remove this Banner Ad

But then how does St Kilda play Freo at Metricon next Saturday?

St Kilda played last night (when Rich/WCE) was supposed to have played, so at most will have spent 8-9 days in QLD before playing Freo.

It sounds like the Queensland government has changed their rules again to suit the AFL, rather than look at the pandemic situation in Victoria.

The way I see it, QLD views all non-QLD clubs as the same, so they're free to play each other during the 14 day quarantine because they all live in resorts. The QLD clubs still live normal lives day to day in the community, so they need to be protected more.

I wouldn't be so sure with that applying to WA at this point in time.

Geelong play Collingwood in Rd7 in WA, halfway through their 14 day quarantine. Are you saying that, that will change?

Obviously there has been negotiations behind the scenes and there is nothing wrong with a Premier initially taking a cautious approach and then allowing it once further advice has come to hand. As far as I know, each Premier has been acting upon the advice of their health experts and with the exception of Victoria this has meant they are all in the enviable position of being poised to eradicate it within their borders.

If the AFL can outline the quarantine requirements, distancing and hygiene protocols, and testing regime to the hosting State - and they are okay with it - then sure thing. It's not like the AFL clubs would be able to mingle with the public except under strict controlled circumstances anyway.

Has the AFL made any chances to their process between Monday & today regarding quarantine requirements, testing regime, etc. The AFL already had teams hubbing in Queensland for the past month? Wouldn't the same conditions from the WA/SA clubs over the past month now apply to the Vic clubs?

Obviously there has been negotiations behind the scenes and there is nothing wrong with a Premier initially taking a cautious approach and then allowing it once further advice has come to hand. As far as I know, each Premier has been acting upon the advice of their health experts and with the exception of Victoria this has meant they are all in the enviable position of being poised to eradicate it within their borders.

If the AFL can outline the quarantine requirements, distancing and hygiene protocols, and testing regime to the hosting State - and they are okay with it - then sure thing. It's not like the AFL clubs would be able to mingle with the public except under strict controlled circumstances anyway.

If I was a Queenslander I'd be happy at the position my government's taken - in fact, for every other state and territory in Australia bar one.

Good to see you will always take the opportunity to complain about Victoria :rolleyes:

Has the AFL made any chances to their process between Monday & today regarding quarantine requirements, testing regime, etc. The AFL already had teams hubbing in Queensland for the past month? Wouldn't the same conditions from the WA/SA clubs over the past month now apply to the Vic clubs?

Good to see you will always take the opportunity to complain about Victoria :rolleyes:

The medical advice changes all the time depending on the situation - right when this all started, you were still fine to travel between any state with no restriciton whatsoever but that isn't going to happen for a while.

Well, the AFL is in this situation because of Victoria is it not? Is anything of what I said untrue?

This is a strange hill to die on.

Ok, so when teams fly into WA from SA, NSW and QLD they don't need to go into a HUB, they can stay where ever they want and move around freely amongst the local population?

We must be on a different page here, I assume every team that arrives into WA will be forced to quarantine for 2 weeks hence the rolling amount of teams that will be entering and playing each other then the WA teams. I doubt even the teams that are in the WA hub will be allowed to move around freely.

Geelong play Collingwood in Rd7 in WA, halfway through their 14 day quarantine. Are you saying that, that will change?

No, I'm not saying that will change at all, I'm questioning your assertion that once a team, in your example, has done their time in QLD, they're free to move from state to state, with the exception of Victoria and play and move around freely with no restrictions.

You did use freely twice so I'm questioning it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is a strange hill to die on.

Yes--- wondering why it was deemed unsafe for a team for Victoria to fly into Queensland on Monday, yet it's perfectly ok today based on the Victorian COVID cases demonstrates that the initial closure wasn't done for health reasons is a strange hill to die on :rolleyes:

Yes--- wondering why it was deemed unsafe for a team for Victoria to fly into Queensland on Monday, yet it's perfectly ok today based on the Victorian COVID cases demonstrates that the initial closure wasn't done for health reasons is a strange hill to die on :rolleyes:

The advice changes? There are countless examples of each jurisdiction in Australia changing restrictions depending on evolving knowledge.

Like I said - strange hill to die on. Victoria is persona non grata to the rest of Australia at the moment - you just have to deal with it.

McGowan has said it happening that way many times now.

So if for instance Richmond do their 2 weeks quarantine in QLD and play the other 7 teams once they've finished their block of games they can just fly into WA and play either of the Eagles or Dockers on that first weekend they're in the state? Or do they just stay in QLD and other sides fly to them?

So if for instance Richmond do their 2 weeks quarantine in QLD and play the other 7 teams once they've finished their block of games they can just fly into WA and play either of the Eagles or Dockers on that first weekend they're in the state? Or do they just stay in QLD and other sides fly to them?

I think we are actually on the same page. No in that instance Richmond would need to fly over with another team and play each other while under quarantine. Then after that they would play WCE and Freo.

The advice changes? There are countless examples of each jurisdiction in Australia changing restrictions depending on evolving knowledge.

Like I said - strange hill to die on. Victoria is persona non grata to the rest of Australia at the moment - you just have to deal with it.

What information has changed between Monday & today that makes the Victorian clubs safe to fly into Queensland? The AFL hasn't changed the hub process, the COVID case numbers haven't changed, the only difference is 10 postcodes are under lockdown. As I said IF I was a Queenslander I'd think that the decision would be putting the public at risk from the "filthy Victorians".

This has nothing to do with my view on what it happening in Victoria and trying to understand why Queensland is flip flopping on changes so quickly.

What information has changed between Monday & today that makes the Victorian clubs safe to fly into Queensland? The AFL hasn't changed the hub process, the COVID case numbers haven't changed, the only difference is 10 postcodes are under lockdown. As I said IF I was a Queenslander I'd think that the decision would be putting the public at risk from the "filthy Victorians".

This has nothing to do with my view on what it happening in Victoria and trying to understand why Queensland is flip flopping on changes so quickly.
you probably just answered your own question - what has changed is the 10 postcodes under lockdown, and the players and officials in those areas got out. and that, along with the testing the players are doing is enough

Kudos to the AFL for pressing ahead and finding ways to keep the season going despite the hurdles in their way.

I can see some wild results on the cards, teams mentally checking out, especially if they go 2-5 and finals look shot.

there is nothing wrong with a Premier initially taking a cautious approach and then allowing it once further advice has come to hand.
'Further advice'.

Peter-Pan.jpg

you probably just answered your own question - what has changed is the 10 postcodes under lockdown, and the players and officials in those areas got out. and that, along with the testing the players are doing is enough

Considering the 10 postcodes only cover half of the confirmed cases in Victoria, I'm not sure if I'd feel comfortable with the Victorian government allowing the decision for AFL players to come into the state if the shoe was on the other foot.

But whatever Queenslanders are comfortable with...

Not sure how I feel about us playing on a Monday. Is that something to do with the mandatory quarantine? Or because the AFL felt like it?
Come on, your team is playing my mob in Queensland next week.... Of all places.

The 1st Saints vs Freo game without Ross Lyon will be played in Queensland. This was unlikely 12 months ago. LoL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back