Round 6: Changes Vs Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Brayshaw certainly has an issue with kicking at goal at the moment but the rest of his game against GWS was first class. Very strong over the ball already and great hands to our running players, no way would I drop him.

Pity about Duman, he was showing some real promise in that game before the incident, we might miss him more than people expect (unless we replace with a similar type) as we were using his great kicking skills out of the backline a lot.

If we are sending Brayshaw back to the WAFL to gain confidence in kicking then we should we also:
  • Send Lobb back to WAFL to regain confidence in marking when playing forward;
  • Send Taberner back to the WAFL to regain confidence kicking at goal;
  • Send Wilson back to the WAFL to regain his kicking from defence; and
  • Send Cerra back to the WAFL to learn how to defend against tall forwards?
(Just as examples)

And that is ignoring the players that have never done that well in a skill/aspect of the game, like Langdon and Conca (Kicking), Walters (staging for free kicks), Taberner (hard hands in marking) etc.

The reality is everyone has stuff to work on, but if they are contributing enough and we are winning and there is no one bashing the door down for their particular spot then keep them in the team. Brayshaw has specifically running games out well and putting a lot of pressure on, and I thought his kicking this last week was better than the week before - the improvement from week to week is enough reason to believe he can fix it up whilst playing at the highest level.

Pity about Duman, he was showing some real promise in that game before the incident, we might miss him more than people expect (unless we replace with a similar type) as we were using his great kicking skills out of the backline a lot.

Not defending his actions that have seen him suspended and not his biggest fan, but yes I agree that I think Duman will be missed this week, particularly his run and kicking from defence; it was quite prominent last week. I honestly think the best replacement would be Carter based upon exposed form (ignoring the fact that he is a rookie and would need to be upgraded for Kersten / Bennell / other), but would also be happy to back Blakely to fill that role as well.

OK with those changes - although feel a little sorry for Cox. Publicly Ross has taken every opportunity to stress what a good game he had against GWS; even though he didn't kick the goals directly himself.

At the end of the day, McCarthy had the credits in the bank from his earlier form.
Probably that ankle concern. Plus Cox is underdone, he ll get found out in the AFL with that sort of fitness

I think we have to be careful not to go too tall, and agree with a stronger focus on run, so I am happy with the changes. Reality is we are looking at a thing called "depth". A bit of a forgotten concept in recent times, but in the tall forward position it is what we have. I can get used to it.

Shows the boys at Peel that if you’re playing well and doing what’s asked of you, you’ll get a shot. Easy choice would have been to bring in Blakely, but smart to bring in my-house.

Give blakely a run to get some match fitness and touch, and Cox to go back and focus on areas he needs to improve. He will get plenty of opportunities this season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very happy with the changes. Nyhuis is an excellent defender with decent/good all round skills. Will be handy against the Bulldogs smaller forward lineup. Plus he gets a game to get back up to pace before we sit him on Eddie Betts.

McCarthy has the credits in the bank to come straight back into the side. Unfortunate for Cox but his game agianst GWS didn't demand that he stay in the side.

Good changes.

Keeps the balance of side and gives Nyhuis a chance to showcase his wares again.

Cox did some nice things but like many have said Cam is in good form and was only out due to illness.

I'm interested to see how our forward line operates now that Cam has returned. I hope it functions as well as it did against the Giants.

Brayshaw is nowhere nesr getting dropped, named ruck rover. Super excited to see what Nyhuis can do, he has battled manfully onfield the past couple of years but with a (hopefully) improved structure around him he can play a really simple role and dominate small forwards like a Nick Smith. at 22 years of age could surprise with a marked improvement from whenwe last saw himm play

I reckon Ross talking up a Cox’s game against GWS is to reassure him he wasn’t ‘dropped’ per se, but rather that he simply had to make way for the returning incumbent. Last in first out. Who knows, he might be a late in anyway if Cam still isn’t 100%.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back